Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speigel says:

I have no idea re FCF, except it should be positive by at least a few hundred million due to all the games $TSLA played. The reckoning will come in the current (Q4) quarter.

Uhmmm... yeah. The reckoning will always be in the next quarter.

To Speigel:
download.jpg

Speigel says:

I have no idea re FCF, except it should be positive by at least a few hundred million due to all the games $TSLA played. The reckoning will come in the current (Q4) quarter.

Uhmmm... yeah. The reckoning will always be in the next quarter.
Can't move those goal posts fast enough!

Idiots:
REUTERS 3:23 PM ET 10/24/2018

Symbol

Last

Price Change

TSLA

-5.64 (-1.92%)

QUOTES AS OF 04:00:00 PM ET 10/24/2018

Oct 24 - Tesla Inc(TSLA) made good on Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk's promise that it would turn a profit in the third quarter.

The Silicon Valley electric carmaker said it made a net profit of $311.5 million in the quarter, still tiny when compared to the billions of dollars the company has burned through as it ramps up production of its Model 3 sedan.

Tesla also said it had free cash flow of $881 million. (Reporting by Sonam Rai in Bengaluru and Alexandria Sage in San Francisco; Editing by Anil D'Silva)

So my key number is model 3 gross margin:

20% Q3 and guided for same in Q4. I find that neutral to negative honestly.

Everything else I have to sort out.

Excuse me what....

Model 3’s gross margin “should grow significantly” to approximately 15 percent in the third quarter and 20 percent in fourth quarter, thanks to “continued reduction in manufacturing costs and to some extent an improving mix.” From here on out, CEO Elon said during [Q2] call

Ya no, they ahead of schedule.

I just hope, after the blood bath today, saner heads prevail tomorrow and the market has a sharp upward correction. This will help boost SP. Otherwise the market is going to weigh down TSLA.

Microsoft released a great earning and is up about 4% in AH. BUT, it went down 5% today, so the SP is lower than yesterday's close !

Reactions: Boomer19
Are your curvy roads a highway?
AP may never be able to perform as FSD due to less powerful chip and being unable to process a higher volume of data, which would lead to a better accuracy.
So, AP is not necessarily indicative of what FSD can do.
Yes, the "curvy roads" of which I speak are California state highways 18 and 330 in the San Bernardino Mountains. In the sections where I've tried AP, the lanes are wide, reasonably smooth, and have very clear markings with reflectors.

Not long ago, the current AP 2.5 hardware was considered sufficient to achieve FSD. Now we're waiting for a new Tesla-created chip, and I think it remains to be seen whether additional, future hardware upgrades will be needed for FSD. We pre-paid for FSD on our Model 3 for precisely this reason - we intend to keep the car for a long time, we'd like Tesla to upgrade the car's hardware as needed, and $3k didn't seem like a high price to pay. It makes sense to me that Tesla now wants to avoid this liability on its current vehicle sales.

Don't get me wrong - AP works quite well on freeways where it's really intended to be used, and Tesla arguably has the best driver assistance system out there.

However, I would be cautious with respect to valuing Tesla's autonomy efforts, the Tesla Network, etc. While I'm hoping for the best, autonomy is not central to my Tesla investing thesis. That may change if things go really well with the new chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.