Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon Musk to discuss Tesla, SpaceX, Twitter and more on 80-minute Recode podcast

Not sure if this was already posted but apparently Kara (from Recode) did interview with Elon that will be posted tomorrow. Below is a link from her twitter where she talks about the interview. Teaser for tomorrow. ;) Iunno about you guys but I love me a Elon interview.

Kara Swisher on Twitter
she starts talking about interview with Elon at around 27:25
Somebody's been listening to this forum's advice about what sort of media outlets Musk should talk to.

Yeah it's highly misleading that they compare their "real world range" observations to WLTP for most brands, so most cars are ~10 - 20% short in the "real world", but then for Tesla they compare their real world results to NEDC results. Of course they get a larger difference since WLTP is more conservative. It's irresponsible journalism to use that result for the sensational headline that Tesla's fall shorter of range expectations than other brands.
Not only that, they managed to average 416 Wh/mi for their "real world" driving. I guess it was uphill all the way, or they lowered the tire pressure to 25 psi and drove with a lead foot!

@benp
charge a nominal amount, say around avg 80% of the rate. at home, NOT free
don't put charging in prime spaces, causes resentment

good luck
Lessons Learned From 6 Years of Workplace Charging

Workplace Charging - The Goldilocks Approach - Plug In America

This is good advice. If it's free, people hog it (because people be crazy), but if it costs even a nominal amount (25 cents a day?) people don't.

And put the chargers within the parking lot as far away from the main entrance as you can manage while still making the electrical connections easy, because this prevents people from ICEing the spaces.

Not only that, they managed to average 416 Wh/mi for their "real world" driving. I guess it was uphill all the way, or they lowered the tire pressure to 25 psi and drove with a lead foot!
Yeah, I can't get mileage that bad unless I drive through a snowstorm with the heater blasting, and then stop and open up the doors to let all the heat out every few miles. (Which I have, for various reasons, actually done.)

The 3 new lines are 5 GWh/year each - the existing lines are 2 GWh/year.

So the new line adds +25% of cell output. If Tesla makes 5k/week with the MR then the new number is ~6.2k/week - and ~6k/week of the new line is not fully up to speed yet (which looks probable).

Mind blown. The original lines produced cells at machine gun speed. How do they do that two and a half times faster? Raw speed, or is there some kind of parallelling going on now? Would love to hear from anybody lucky enough to get a tour and sight the new machines.

I guess insideEVs numbers are correct, i think Elon is talking about production numbers. So they produced way more, but didn't deliver this month to customers yet, because of east coast delivery.

Sorry y’all, that was me. I took delivery today in Charlotte. Moved UP a week from the original date. :cool:

Mind blown. The original lines produced cells at machine gun speed. How do they do that two and a half times faster? Raw speed, or is there some kind of parallelling going on now? Would love to hear from anybody lucky enough to get a tour and sight the new machines.

Yeah, this isn't confirmed. It's somebody's interpretation of a comment from Panasonic that GF1 would reach 35 GWh annual production. The throughput of the new lines was not specified. Don't get too excited.

This is good advice. If it's free, people hog it (because people be crazy), but if it costs even a nominal amount (25 cents a day?) people don't.

And put the chargers within the parking lot as far away from the main entrance as you can manage while still making the electrical connections easy, because this prevents people from ICEing the spaces.

Best advice ever.

Really gave me a well rounded approach. Been considering it since reading.

My current thought:

Absolutely use inconvenient parking spaces.

Ev owners pay per kWh. I like the pay per hour approach but costly to implement. Maybe 50% pay split due to low EV adoption in region. Raise that slowly to 80%. I see the problems with free and for me this is not about cost savings, more about improving community and building for long term success.

And then convince company to provide new EV owners with a $ “voucher” for the program. First $500 on us. This way no matter when or if you try ev you get the same benefit. A year of “free gas”

That way I accelerate the transition but build stable program.

edit: insideEVs have good connections in the company, in production at Freemont and also in Sales Office
I used to follow InsideEVs closely. I don't think they have any inside info (no pun intended). They are trying to estimate based on publicly available info and whatever delivery information etc they get - similar to what Bloomberg does to estimate production.

Last edited:
Elon Musk to discuss Tesla, SpaceX, Twitter and more on 80-minute Recode podcast

Not sure if this was already posted but apparently Kara (from Recode) did interview with Elon that will be posted tomorrow. Below is a link from her twitter where she talks about the interview. Teaser for tomorrow. ;) Iunno about you guys but I love me a Elon interview.

Kara Swisher on Twitter
she starts talking about interview with Elon at around 27:25

"There are some products coming out that he talks about in the interview".

Ok, you have my attention.

Yeah, I can't get mileage that bad unless I drive through a snowstorm with the heater blasting, and then stop and open up the doors to let all the heat out every few miles. (Which I have, for various reasons, actually done.)
That's actually my average for the last two winters.
But my commute is 5km (3miles), so majority of energy is spent on warming up the battery, twice a day...

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba and neroden
Exactly. Let your winners run. Dont take profits too early. 3Q was a game changer.
OP commented on those keeping options and being leveraged. Neither of you two guys seem to understand what being leveraged means. But one consequence is that you are at mercy of time, and while directionally you could be 100% right, pace of change may mean you lose everything, or come close to it. Been there, done that. Never again.

Also, as a side note. Current forum is euphoric which is not bad per se, but for those heavily in options/heavily leveraged, do consider locking gains progressively. Speaking from recent experience, it hurts a lot more to ride any dips down (hopefully none) compared to missing some gains. More advice to myself than anyone else :(

I keep setting a small sell $15 above opening. Last three sessions anyway. None have tripped, though it would have worked early in the week. I'm prepared to bet it will close less than $15 up, but not going to bet it will revisit the opening price at any point in the future. Seems quite possible we're going up and never coming back.

• Disagree
Reactions: dmckinstry
I keep setting a small sell $15 above opening. Last three sessions anyway. None have tripped, though it would have worked early in the week. I'm prepared to bet it will close less than $15 up, but not going to bet it will revisit the opening price at any point in the future. Seems quite possible we're going up and never coming back.
Disagree. Just trying to keep optimism down.

Status
Not open for further replies.