Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Ford is now getting into the only mode of electric transport (except planes and rockets) that Elon has publicly stated Tesla has no interest in....scooters. Classic Ford!
Ford Acquires Electric Scooter Startup Spin
FWIW, Ford already had their hands in scooters (although a bit closer to motorcycle-like than the stuff the scooter-sharing companies have), through licensing their name to Ojo: OjO Electric Introduces An Exciting New Lineup Of Ford Branded Smart E-Scooters At CES 2018

(I feel like the Ojo scooters are in an uncanny valley of form factor and legality, tbh... no pedals means that they're not e-bikes in many jurisdictions, but they don't give any particular advantages over a similarly-priced e-bike, unlike the smaller, foldable scooters that the dockless rental companies use, and are available for sale for far less money.)

• Informative
Reactions: shlokavica22
Isn't it kind of unusual that this will be a full time role for the new chairperson. I think most Chairperson are shared with the CEO or part time roles.

To me actually a good thing as I think Elon needs good people around him focused on executing the vision.
Perhaps part of the subtext is that while she will have the title of CoB, she'll actually operate more like a COO - which she has in her background. And then after the three year test-drive for both her and Tesla, if it all is working well, maybe she'll become the actual COO.

New Board Chairperson announced: Robyn Denholm

Announcing Robyn Denholm as Tesla’s New Board Chair

Tesla’s Board of Directors is pleased to announce that Robyn Denholm has been appointed as Chair of the Tesla Board, effective immediately. So that she will be able to devote her full attention to the Tesla Chair role, Robyn will be leaving her role as CFO and Head of Strategy at Telstra, Australia’s largest telecommunications company, once her six-month notice period with Telstra is complete. Robyn will be serving as Tesla Chair on a full-time basis.

robyn-denholm.jpg

To ensure a smooth transition during the remainder of Robyn’s time at Telstra, Elon will be a resource to Robyn and provide any support that she requests in her role as Chair. Robyn will continue to provide the necessary focus and time to Telstra during the remainder of her time there, and she will also temporarily step down as Chair of Tesla’s Audit Committee until she leaves Telstra.

Robyn has served on the Tesla Board as an independent director since 2014. Her global experience in both Australia and Silicon Valley encompasses leadership roles across a range of technology companies, including Telstra, Juniper Networks, and Sun Microsystems. She is widely credited with leading a team that drove significant increases in Juniper’s revenues, overseeing Juniper’s corporate transformation during her nine-year tenure as Chief Financial and Operations Officer. Her experience also includes numerous finance management roles in the automotive industry while at Toyota.

“I believe in this company, I believe in its mission and I look forward to helping Elon and the Tesla team achieve sustainable profitability and drive long-term shareholder value,” Robyn said.

“Robyn has extensive experience in both the tech and auto industries, and she has made significant contributions as a Tesla Board member over the past four years in helping us become a profitable company,” said Elon. “I look forward to working even more closely with Robyn as we continue accelerating the advent of sustainable energy.”​
The new chairperson is a "business as usual" pick - no impact or disruption to Tesla. It's most likely neutral to the stock price.

It's a disappointed choice. Tesla has a chance to bring in someone who is strong in business, operation, manufacturing, or technology, someone who can complement Elon and transition Tesla to a more organized and effective organization, and someone who can keep Elon's excess hubris in check. A credible outside pick would also serve a catalyst to the stock price. Tesla just wasted this rare opportunity.

The new chairperson is a "business as usual" pick - no impact or disruption to Tesla. It's most likely neutral to the stock price.

It's a disappointed choice. Tesla has a chance to bring in someone who is strong in business, operation, manufacturing, or technology, someone who can complement Elon and transition Tesla to a more organized and effective organization, and someone who can keep Elon's excess hubris in check. A credible outside pick would also serve a catalyst to the stock price. Tesla just wasted this rare opportunity.
???

Did you read this previously posted interview: CFO one-on-one interview with Robyn Denholm

Robyn is credited with a big increase in Juniper’s revenues and restructuring the company between 2014 and 2015.
I moved to Juniper Networks as CFO in 2007 and then assumed responsibility for IT, Digital, Facilities, Field Operations and Manufacturing. Having played a leadership role in Juniper navigating through the GFC and the subsequent recovery, I then had the opportunity to play a big role in their transformation strategy and was appointed CFO/COO in 2013.

Disruption? The only ones who want Tesla’s organisation ‘disrupted’ are the shorts and the competition. Tesla doesn’t need anyone coming in with a need to prove or assert him- or herself.

You can't be serious.

Disruption? The only ones who want Tesla’s organisation ‘disrupted’ are the shorts and the competition. Tesla doesn’t need anyone coming in with a need to prove or assert him- or herself.

I agree.

Tesla has operational problems that need to be fixed, but it doesn't need massive disruption. As Cattledog suggests, I think Tesla has taken this as an opportunity to try to make this a useful change that could lead to a permanent appointment as Tesla's-Version-of-Gwynne Shotwell, with Elon Musk switching back to CEO and Chairman.

Now Tesla will need _another_ independent director. That's where they can think different.
How about Brad Katsuyama, CEO of IEX. ;)

They are looking for another Gwynne Shotwell. Perhaps women don't activate Musk's daddy issues.

I really doubt that Denholm is one of Musk's insider. So I don't get the "business as usual".

Disruption? The only ones who want Tesla’s organisation ‘disrupted’ are the shorts and the competition.

"Unfortunately" for them- they are the one disrupted.

For anyone's viewing pleasure - BMW's EBIT margin (Automotive segment):
  • 3rd quarter 2017 - 8.6%
  • 1 January to 30 September 2018 - 7.6%
  • 3rd quarter 2018 - 4.4%
They continue to improve sales, to make it look like they don't lose market, but they achieve the "growth" by selling cheaper vehicles.

More here: https://www.bmwgroup.com/content/da...artalsbericht/Q3_2018_BMW_Group_EN_Online.pdf

Sorry, I got caught up in watching the elections and the TSLA stock ticker...

Ignoring the non-TSLA data, the June zip file reduces to 1.4 MB.

With a more modern compression (xz), the size reduces to 0.9 MB. But never mind.

The TSLA-only data can be downloaded from here (also without a dropbox account, just click the top-right Download-button and if necessary click no thank you in the suggested sign-in window):

Dropbox - TSLA-FNSQsh201806.txt.zip

Dropbox - TSLA-FNSQsh201807.txt.zip

Dropbox - TSLA-FNSQsh201808.txt.zip

Dropbox - TSLA-FNSQsh201809.txt.zip

Btw, here are the first months of 2018:

Dropbox - TSLA-FNSQsh201801.txt.zip

Dropbox - TSLA-FNSQsh201802.txt.zip

Dropbox - TSLA-FNSQsh201803.txt.zip

Dropbox - TSLA-FNSQsh201804.txt.zip

Dropbox - TSLA-FNSQsh201805.txt.zip

The data goes back to March 1st, 2016.

Here is all of 2017:
Dropbox - TSLA-FNSQsh2017.txt.zip

Here are the last 10 months of 2016:
Dropbox - TSLA-FNSQsh2016.txt.zip

Also, since SCTY was apparently also targeted by malicious shorts (as argued on TMC), here is the SCTY-only data
for 2016 (March to Nov. 21):

Dropbox - SCTY-FNSQsh2016.txt.zip

I have only the free account at dropbox, I believe the retention is 30 days.

Let the data mining begin. :)

PS. Largest SCTY short-sell was a single 550k chunk, three days before the symbol was delisted...
PPS. Ditto for TSLA was 523955 shares, on 2018-05-21...

Last edited:
Update:
Judge was not interested in a show process.
But Vincent Evers was happy, he felt that the court was listening to him.
Making the statement that it is 150 times more save to use a mobile with autopilot then using a mobile without it.
I must tell this to my wife.
I suspect Mr. Evers won’t be ticketed for this behavior in a few years.

Reactions: cyclingthealps
Stupid tweets aside, anyone that thinks they know the problems, both operational and strategical with Tesla, Elon’s shortcomings, and furthermore how to fix them...well let’s just say that target price of 420 speaks to them.

Why would anyone want to disrupt a management team that has accomplished what Tesla has done? Tesla has no right to exist let alone appear to be on the verge of eviscerating legacy auto manufacturers the world over, and yet people sternly post messages about the terrible choices they are making on a routine basis, and recommend status quo corporate dinosaurs as saviours. Reminds me of Jobs getting pushed out by the bean counters at Apple.

Has anyone checked on Tesla’s revenue growth numbers?

Give it a rest. Someone please filter Elon’s tweets. Past that, he can do whatever he wants. He should have announced a stuffed animal as chairperson of the board for all I care.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.