Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Note, "new referendum" is not an option. It's being floated by those British politicians and the media who still don't understand the exact circumstances:
  • There is no time to organize a new referendum which will be bombarded by legal challenges like the previous one which took 8 months to perform.
  • The EU is not going to accept the "maybe Brexit in 10 months ... or not" outcome and uncertainty.
  • Britain had 2 years to hold another referendum and they didn't.
  • The EU wants this over with, one way or another. This whole mess is Britain's own making, and they can reverse it with a simple government decision taking back the Article 50.
There's only 3 options on the table at the moment:
  • "EU deal Brexit", perhaps with cosmetic modifications by the EU.
  • "no EU deal crash-out Brexit"
  • Britain taking back the Article 50 notice, until March 29 11pm
The EU has started organizing relief efforts to soften some of the worst humanitarian costs of a crash-out Brexit.
And no, Britain does not have the freedom to delay crunch time anymore, and the last thing the EU wants are the EU elections in May 2019 with Britain still in limbo ...
Couple points to note. While a new referendum isn't an option, it's a terminal event based on some parliamentary factors occurring. A no vote on the current deal, would yield a no confidence vote in May, she'd then be out. A new vote would have to occur for PM and or votes in the Parliament in lieu of a public vote for party. at THAT point, the parliament could call for a new referendum on the Brexit vote from 2016. That's a lot of if's, but there is a path.

As far as the parliament goes, both the British parliament and the EU court have confirmed that the UK parliament doesn't have to stand with the referendum. They have been essentially given the option, to forgo as politically tenuous as that would be.

Last edited:
This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I want someone to explain to me how a functioning market can drop a single stock 1+% nearly every single day in the mid-morning. HOW!?!?!? In what rational world is this not flattened out by investors?

Isn't the result that it recovers a sign that investors are flattening it out? Better for them to buy low than preemptive flatten.

• Informative
Reactions: gene and humbaba
This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I want someone to explain to me how a functioning market can drop a single stock 1+% nearly every single day in the mid-morning. HOW!?!?!? In what rational world is this not flattened out by investors?
There's some factors that can cause trades to not happen and make the market less efficient.

A lot of bullish investors are tapped out - either they're out of dry powder, or their risk aversion (whether emotional, policy, or regulatory) prevents them from accumulating more. However, high price targets in their investment theses mean that they're not willing to sell on apparent peaks, in fear of it running away (this has prevented me from selling, and then I kick myself when it inevitably falls), as well as potential tax issues with short term capital gains.

The stock price is based on the actual transactions that are happening, so you can have a spread between what a bull thinks the stock is worth, what they're willing to sell for, and what they're willing to buy for, all three being widely differing values... and the last one will be the lowest, and will be where the stock price ends up.

Combine that with manipulation designed to punch through the order book that affects what the market thinks the stock is worth, and yeah.

Whomever said the market was rational?
Efficient-market hypothesis - Wikipedia

(TSLA trading has disproven it, but... yeah.)

Reactions: gene
Market day and no post in 30 minutes? Is the forum broken? I'm glad we are performing better than the market even if it is down.
It seems a bunch of people are suspecting no significant pricing action until the bonds convert. Shorts want to keep it under the conversion price and market makers want to keep it at the conversion price.

Compare TSLA to SPX today. Basically 0 price action on TSLA. Nothing is happening.

Most pick ups are lifestyle vehicles, not work vehicles. Using it twice a year to help a buddy move or haul some lumber doesn't count as "needing" a truck IMO.It is very wasteful and expensive for most owners but that's the choice they make because they want to drive a truck.

100% true, but then again, how can i criticize with a P100D? how often do i NEED to go 0-60 in 2.4 seconds? (answer: just about every day, apparently....but still...)

Capture d’écran 2018-12-10 à 18.58.59.png

Couple comments about the 60 minutes interview:
1. It really seems like it was something forced by PR/Corp communications for Elon to do. I got the feeling he really didn't want to be there, didn't have something he wanted to say, almost like a hostage video. No FUD objective here, but I got the feeling that someone in the company said "hey, we really need to get you out there and do some PR".

Agree. But whether it was Elon or Tesla PR agreeing to Stahl interview, why choose to do it now, when end of Q4 production numbers are out in three weeks and Q4 Earnings 7 weeks? A second consecutive profitable quarter and actually paying off the 900 M owed will be harder for biased news organizations to ignore for old FUD and likely further relax Elon when handling negative questions.

• Informative
Reactions: Earlian
Status
Not open for further replies.