Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's terrible. I use Robinhood as well (didn't intend for my position to grow to be as big as it has now become), and if I could transfer my shares elsewhere at the same cost basis I would. As it is, I feel somewhat locked in now. I will look into whether or not I can move my shares to another broker.

The free trades are pretty nice, but I feel like I'm being penny wise and pound foolish. Something like today's SNAFU could have cost me hundreds or thousands if the timing were worse. The only other consolation is maybe they're working out kinks in their new in-house clearing system.

At any rate, rambling...was up half the night with a sick toddler.
You can absolutely move your shares. The best way to do it is to ask your new broker to pull them from Robinhood. They also transfer over the cost basis information (at least they are supposed to).

Its actually only 7.4 kW, if I recall. The reason the front panels are so close to the edge, and the front corner has that hole that some people quickly notice, is that I added the front row of panels myself AFTER the inspection (one extra panel on each string). I did the complete installation myself, with the help of friends, except for the electrical panel work. All the design tools are online now, so a cheap solar system is an easy DIY. I just wish I had more room for more panels. I have 2 Powerwalls on order.
@keydiver (im in Cape Coral more or less)
so, 200 - 210 watt panels? I got 37 of the Hanwa Q Cells QPeak Duo BLK-G5 315's for 11.65kW (derated 0.15% to 9,907kW) as Florida (Lee County) frowns upon >10K and makes permit jump from $35 to $1,000 and insurance likewise do a 10x jump
looks quite nice but Enphase close monitors mine so if i tweak it they may freak, eh. (IQ7-60's)
Are you going to join a VPP if any get started since you say you are getting 2 power walls.
Do you know where can get a display to show kWh for passers by that syncs with the output of array?

Also did you get the free System Advisory Model (your taxes paid for) Way better than PV Watts and by the same folks NREL (national renewable energy labs)
System Advisor Model
Version 2018.11.11, 64 bit, updated to revision 1
SSC Version 202: Windows 64 bit Visual C++

Last edited:
How can you tell it is only 200A connector? There doesn't seem to be any physical difference as far as I can tell from the relevant Wiki page, they specify the same connector, just additional higher level communication protocols and some other things.

500A (v2.0) requires a liquid-cooled cable, and correspondingly a coolant reservoir, chiller, pumps, etc. Uncooled cables (v1.0) can only handle 200A.

You can absolutely move your shares. The best way to do it is to ask your new broker to pull them from Robinhood. They also transfer over the cost basis information (at least they are supposed to).

OT
Curious as to how the register of who owns what works. If ig.com (my trading platform) were to have an IT meltdown (terror attack on primary and backup data centre, whatever, to satisfy this hypothetical), is there some record somewhere else that X shares of TSLA have my name on them? TIA.

If not, what happened to the $360 stickiness so many were convinced of last week?

Hi Jim,

The "360 ceiling" (actually $359.87) was a thing in the mind of many shorts when they still believed that Tesla couldn't make their Mar 2019 bonds if the SP was held below that ceiling. Hence their extreme, expensive, and ultimately futile attempt to keep the SP below 360. :p

Since the Dec 6 Bloomberg article reported Tesla will pay the Mar 2019 bonds with a 50/50 mix of cash/stock, that particular short thesis has crumbled (like all the others) and the 360 ceiling is shattered. That was 4 session ago, and it took the weekend for the news to be really understood.

IMHO, your current play isn't really swing trading; its day trading. If you really want to capture the next (technical) swing, you need to wait until the SP tickles the recent high which was $379.49 the morning of Dec 7, 2018:

TSLA.chart.2018-12-07.png

We saw a strong selloff by technical traders on that day: they were watching action above the upper bollinger band. On Dec 7, the SP opened right at the upper BB (369.46) then quickly peaked to almost exactly $10 above the upper BB (high SP was 379.49).

Some of this opening spike may also be attributable to a "mini-squeeze" triggered by the previous day's new high closing price: $363.06 so multiple factors can reinforce eachother to create an opportunity.

This signal is fairly screaming SELL to technical traders. And they did. Volume was 10.8M shares on Dec 7, nearly double the recent daily avg vol (another strong signal). Here's what the Technical Chart looked like a few minutes after the SP spike: (see the yellow bar extending $10 above the upper BB "the red line" on Dec 7?). That chart is yelling "S-E-L-L"

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2018-12-07.12-45.png

Then watch for a buying opportunity either at the end of that session or the following day due to the selloff. But don't wait too long in a rising SP environment, it will rebound. Your opportunities to get back in TSLA may be brief and fleeting. Note that TSLA hasn't revisited 360 since 1:30 PM on Mon, Dec 10: :eek:

TSLA.chart.2018-12-10.png

Please note: this is NOT ADVISE. I am NOT DOING THIS. Even though I'm aware of these technical factors, I am not trading on them. There are too many upside risks with a rising SP for my investing style. For example, look what happened in late Oct when Andrew Left got his head right. :D

If I was caught playing an overnight swing to reduce my ASP (maybe $10 if it works), I would have ended up increasing my ASP by $20 and worse, losing shares. :oops:

I *might* be tempted to swing trade on big news (eg: July production report; the tweet; the SEC suit) but so far I haven't done so (I'm HODLing dammit!), and that has worked out well for me.

As of Close today, my ASP is $283.36 and my TSLA shares are up 29.2% YTD. Plus I get to hang out here with you fine folks. ;)

I'm good with that.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Troy. Can you provide some insight on your source(s) for the above?

This is related to daily reported VINs. Normally reported VINs are clearly low on weekends like you see on the left side. However, recently, this started to change. See the table on the right. I observed the same thing happen at the end of other quarters.

9ueIpE0.gif

Last quarter, somebody had asked me about days off in Q3. This was my answer, in case you find this interesting:
04 Jul 2018 Wednesday, Independence Day seems to be off. There was no other weekday off.
Normally on weekends, there is no activity but on the following weekend days, there was 1 shift:
14 Jul 2018, Sat
21 Jul 2018, Sat
04 Aug 2018, Sat
05 Aug 2018, Sun
18 Aug 2018, Sat
19 Aug 2018, Sun

In addition, on the following weekend days, there were 2 shifts:
22 Sep 2018, Sat
23 Sep 2018, Sun

It may be helpful to include a step by step calculation for your production/delivery numbers

Here is what I can tell: I look at the VIN chart here and guess where they are in terms of total units produced so far. Let's say 139,872. Then I subtract past quarters. Production was 94,268 at the end of Q3. That leaves us with 45,604 so far in Q4. Then I look at where the trendline is heading. Let's say 60K produced at the end of Q4.

This quarter, production estimates will be difficult because of the huge gap between 136K-150K. If I'm going to be wrong, I prefer to under-estimate instead of over-estimating. In fact, all my Model 3 prod estimates so far (Q1, Q2, Q3) were lower than actual numbers. This quarter is especially tricky. The Model 3 VIN chart looks more and more messed up thanks to Tesla assigning VINs non-sequentially and adding artificial gaps. This doesn't happen and never happened with S/X.

Then I calculate deliveries. I talked about delivery calculations here two weeks ago. I keep changing my methods all the time. I run two methods side by side and tweak one of them and then I might change my mind and go back etc. Generally speaking, estimating deliveries is more difficult than estimating production and it doesn't always work out. For example, this was my accuracy in Q3 2018. More details here.

97.78% Model S + X production
98.77% Model 3 production
88.83% Global Model S deliveries
94.42% Global Model X deliveries
98.63% Global Model 3 deliveries
The accuracy of the first, second and fifth estimate is good, fourth is OK, third is poor.

Last edited:
500A (v2.0) requires a liquid-cooled cable, and correspondingly a coolant reservoir, chiller, pumps, etc. Uncooled cables (v1.0) can only handle 200A.
Perhaps the Type 2 CCS needs some special case, but Tesla doesn't have problems with 300A+ without cooling of the cable / connector with either Tesla Proprietary or Tesla's flavor of Type 2 (putting DC-High over the non-combo portion). So unless it's mandated that only allowed solutions are allowed (i.e., liquid cooled cables etc), I don't see why they can't just use their usual construction techniques for updating Supercharger v2 stations.

Assuming CCS doesn't mandate only approved solutions, the Type 2 CCS connector could be wired similar to Tesla Proprietary with two wires connected to the positive and negative terminals each (4 DC wires total), versus the modified DC-Mid Type 2 setup they used before (where I assume each wire went to a separate connector). The split wires makes the cable more easily handled and connected to the car, versus larger thicker single cable per +/-.

Granted, to go higher power than existing Supercharger v2 might require liquid cooling anyways, but there's no technical / engineering reason why a Type 2 CCS equipped Supercharger v2 shouldn't be able to put in just as much power as the Tesla Proprietary connector (I'm not sure if Type 2 DC-Mid used by Supercharger would be technically more or less theoreticaly power than Tesla Proprietary - intuitively I'd expect it could handle more, but I think the Supercharger v2 runs out of steam first). So Supercharger v3 might see cooled cables for all connector types, but I don't see why lack of liquid cooling means anything on a Supercharger v2 with regards to Type 2 CCS being slower than Type 2.

Perhaps the Type 2 CCS needs some special case, but Tesla doesn't have problems with 300A+ without cooling of the cable / connector with either Tesla Proprietary or Tesla's flavor of Type 2 (putting DC-High over the non-combo portion).

Tesla's Supercharger cables are higher gauge (you can see that for yourself in the above pics, compare the cable thicknesses). As for the sockets, I don't know their structure, but but I suspect that they have a much more elaborate heat sink setup.

You're asking Tesla to violate the CCS standard, which specifies what currents are allowed in what conditions. I seriously doubt they're going to do that.

So unless it's mandated that only allowed solutions are allowed (i.e., liquid cooled cables etc)

It is. V1 = 200A max, uncooled. V2 = 500A max, cooled.

Hi, everybody. My previous update was on 18 Nov, here in this thread. Here is a new update:

Production is going well. I see an increase and more activity on weekends. They are definitely adding more shifts to weekends. If they were to continue at the current rate, they would finish Q4 at 59,500 Model 3s produced. I don't know exactly what kind of increase we might see between now and the end of the quarter but being cautiously optimistic, I would expect a little over 60K but 61K could be possible too.

As for deliveries, I estimate about 12,000 Model 3's were delivered in the US in the last week. The reason for the high number is that the cars they shipped early in the quarter to the East Coast have arrived. The order backlog dropped from 20,000 to 8,000. This is a good thing because Tesla has promised 2018 delivery for orders placed by 30 Nov. New order rate is a bit low after 30 Nov. I estimate between 1,700-2,000, new Model 3 orders per week in North America, down from 2,500-3,000 on average before the 30 Nov deadline. This is not a problem because they will start production for Europe in early January. There is a chance EU production could start in the last few days of December if they clear the backlog.

My current estimates for Q4 are as follows:

Production:
60,359 Model 3 (up 13% from 53,239 in Q3)
24,909 Model S+X
Total 85,268

Deliveries:
60,596 Model 3 (up 8% from 56,065 in Q3)
14,911 Model S
12,754 Model X
Total 88,261

Tesla's guidance for Q4 is,
  • More Model 3s produced and delivered in Q4 than Q3. They will hit this target.
  • 100,000 S/X delivered in 2018. My current estimate is pretty close at 99,509.
Here are some useful links:
  • Tesla Production and Delivery Estimates: 28 people added their estimates for Q4 2018. You can add your estimate too if you want. There is a link to a Google form on the top left.
  • Teslike Model S/X Order Tracker: The 'S/X Production' tab shows the latest estimate. In Q3, this was 97.8% accurate.
  • Teslike Model 3 Order Tracker: The 'Production' tab shows the latest estimate. This was 98.8% accurate in Q3. 4,818 Model 3 buyers have added their data to this survey since Apr 1st, 2018. I remove old entries every 3 months to make room.
  • You can follow me on Twitter @TroyTeslike

Hi Troy;
Just a couple of quick questions, for clarification..
When you say, "I see an increase......", are you going by the Fremont plant and actually have eyes on the full parking lots, or??

Same with shifts being added on weekends. The employee parking lots are full on weekends? You're driving by and actually seeing that?

Thanks for your help in clarifying. I appreciate it.

You're asking Tesla to violate the CCS standard, which specifies what currents are allowed in what conditions. I seriously doubt they're going to do that.

You mean like they violate the Type 2 standards? I fully expect them to do their own thing even though it is a CCS format connector. It's not like other brands of cars will be using these. (At least I highly doubt Tesla is going to open them for anything but OEMs that partner with them.)

Tripp has fled to Hungary
Odd choice. Maybe they grant asylum, but they do have extradition treaty with the US. If he was running he should have run to someplace with no extradition... no asylum needed. I guess it's possible he just happens to have family there...

Well, he's gonna be hungry, dirty and poor unless he rolls on the 'Insiders' at Bidnes'iders... :p

Jus' sayin'.

Last edited:
The shorts are doing everything they can to keep the SP from breaking out. If they can prevent a breakout through the next week they may survive through the slower holiday week.

But then they need to pray for something negative to happen before the delivery numbers come out, which is likely to put further pressure on them.

They are playing an increasingly treacherous game, which is so unlikely to end well for them!

Here is another screenshot where I have highlighted the weekends. If you look at 4th of July, that's how a day-off looks like. Similarly, 1, 7, 8 and 15 July are off too. However, I see that they had one shift on 30 June and 14 July.

HWCjjie.gif

However, I recommend focusing on more important things like these:
  • Deliveries. See the Delivery tab here.
  • Average sale price. See the Survey tab. I recommend calculating the drop from Q3 to Q4 instead of using the Q4 number directly. Let's say ASP dropped by 5%. Now you can go back and calculate the ASP in the Q3 shareholder letter and apply the 5% drop there but you would need to consider S/X ASP and delivery volume too.
  • Gross margin. I haven't looked into this in detail. I had a quick look and I would expect 18% or higher for Model 3.

Last edited:
OT:

Hungary has granted asylum recently to the former PM of Macedonia.

Ick. Hungary is run by a pretty obvious racist fascist, Orban, who has gerrymandered and controlled the media to prevent any opposition from overthrowing his dictatorship, and is now shutting down universities for supporting freedom of expression. Anyone Orban is protecting is probably a bad person.

...and yep, he is.
Macedonia’s Ousted PM Awaits Four Trial Verdicts

If Tripp's fled *there* it does not speak well of him (and he looked pretty bad already).

(This is not a case like Snowden, where Putin doesn't like Snowden but felt that they had to take him in order to show up the US. Orban doesn't work like that.)

You mean like they violate the Type 2 standards? I fully expect them to do their own thing even though it is a CCS format connector. It's not like other brands of cars will be using these. (At least I highly doubt Tesla is going to open them for anything but OEMs that partner with them.)

My understanding is Tesla were complying with EU standards in order to be allowed to sell Model 3 in the EU. No compliance, no model 3 permit. Their trading bloc, their rules.

I really thought such massive access to verifiable information would build a latticework of quality information that we'd all be operating from, and it'd be harder for untrue things to propagate and perpetuate themselves.
Believe it or not, it actually is harder. You should review the whoppers which got spread uncritically and had 99% of people believing them *before* the Internet.

Unfortunately, "harder" is not a very high standard when you consider what people used to believe.

But for one hilarious investment-related example, people used to believe the Efficient Markets Theory. It was in all the textbooks and everything!

On a much more serious note, there has been a very very long campaign to suppress sex education and spread disinformation about sex. While there's still just as much of a campaign, it is less successful now because it is possible to find accurate sex ed information on the Internet. Before, it was possible to totally isolate entire cities from access to accurate information. Even with megacorporations trying to censor the internet, they've been quite unable to prevent the accurate sex ed information from being disseminated.

Or, on a political note, Trump got elected by the Electoral College and lost the popular vote; GWB got 50.7% for re-election... but pre-Internet, Reagan was re-elected with a 58.8% majority on a campaign platform of complete lies and meaningless platitudes, *after* blowing out the budget deficit, "trees cause pollution", "ketchup is a vegetable", while he was violating the Boland Amendment, and with "we begin bombing in five minutes" happening *during* the campaign. But people believed the claim that he was "responsible" and "trustworthy".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.