Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a crazy ride 2018 has been for TSLA, Tesla and this forum! Thanks for the wealth of knowledge, the humor and the voices of reason who allowed me to remain calm as our boat pitched about wildly in these stormy seas!

May 2019 bring all Longs health, wealth and happiness...and all of us one step closer to a zero emission future powered by Tesla Energy.

And now I'll take my P3D out for one last exhilarating and guilt-free ride in 2018.

Fred Lambert seems to be getting more and more into Fake News territory by leaving things out such as how many days' worth of production some number of cars is. Here is a better title for the following article: "Tesla has over 4 days production worth of Model 3 vehicles left in inventory in the US". Now compare that to what it looks like as written:

Tesla has over 3,000 Model 3 vehicles left in inventory in the US

OK, Who's been going to Burning Man at Black Rock City.....?
They do have an "Alternate Energy Zone" with only renewable energy allowed
@KarenRei

Hehe, not Burning Man, just an annual tradition: pile everything flammable you've collected over the course of the year into many ~10-meter-high piles around town, then burn them ;) Then after a break to watch the Áramótaskaup (New Years comedy programme that makes fun of all of the news events of the past year), people go out and shoot off about half a megatonne of fireworks. Not hyperbole - literally half a megatonne (NYC on the 4th of July = a couple dozen tonnes). This is in a country with a population the size of Anaheim, CA.

We have no military, so we have to burn / blow up something big at least once per year ;)

Last edited:
Fred Lambert seems to be getting more and more into Fake News territory by leaving things out such as how many days' worth of production some number of cars is. Here is a better title for the following article: "Tesla has over 4 days production worth of Model 3 vehicles left in inventory in the US". Now compare that to what it looks like as written:

Now picked up by CNBC.

Tesla reportedly has over 3,000 Model 3 vehicles left in US inventory

Summary: Tesla currently sells more cars per location than Ford and will increase their sales/location next year by a lot, while Ford will not.
Not just "will not [increase]", I expect them to decline. I doubt they'll shift every sedan sale to an SUV/CUV which will result in lower sales.

But to also keep things from getting too giddy, Tesla may not maintain the sales pace of the last half of 2018. I expect Tesla sales to go up YoY, but I think it is reasonable that US sales will dip until the SR is out. If that is correct then keeping QoQ sales growing will depend on how quickly the SR will be sold. At this point I don't think it will make it into Q1 so while Tesla will continue selling an increasing number of cars, they will be split between more markets so for Q1, sales in the US may well be lower than the last two quarters.

Really, this boils down to comparing a (slowly) dying company to a (rapidly) growing company that is expanding into new markets. It isn't a fair comparison at all and I wouldn't want to have my money on the horse headed for the glue factory.

Fred Lambert seems to be getting more and more into Fake News territory by leaving things out such as how many days' worth of production some number of cars is. Here is a better title for the following article: "Tesla has less than 4 days production worth of Model 3 vehicles left in inventory in the US". Now compare that to what it looks like as written:

Fixed that for you.

Reactions: humbaba

I hereby challenge Fred to a fistfight!

Fred did say (below the fold)
When put into perspective, it’s really not that bad since it’s just about half a week of Model 3 production for Tesla.
That section does provide some color to his thoughts. It seems to him that inventory means only non-allocated, non-in-transit cars that have no buyer and, from the closing line, he doesn't expect them to.
Now in January, the Model 3 production is going to go to Europe, but it looks like Tesla is going to be stuck with a few thousands Model 3’s in the US.

Stuck! Stuck I tell you! Elon failed to minimize the inventory variable, QQQQQ
;)

Flip side: Tesla has less than a week of cars on hand (3% of a real OEM) Fremont is obviously failing to cover demand... QQQQQ
;)

When do you think P&D report will come out ? Tomorrow or on 2nd morning (pre-market) ?

I'm hoping they release it tomorrow so that investors (and shorts) have a day to digest the news.

BTW, I closed a covered call I had written on Friday for $5 gain a contract - but didn't buy anything else today. I missed the 325/326 lows - and was not sure how the market will take whatever comes out - considering a breakout number last quarter was greeted with SP down. We don't even expect breakout numbers this time - just some limited increase over Q3, optimistically.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceCash
Fred did say (below the fold)
When put into perspective, it’s really not that bad since it’s just about half a week of Model 3 production for Tesla.
That section does provide some color to his thoughts. It seems to him that inventory means only non-allocated, non-in-transit cars that have no buyer and, from the closing line, he doesn't expect them to.
Fred continues:
Now in January, the Model 3 production is going to go to Europe, but it looks like Tesla is going to be stuck with a few thousands Model 3’s in the US.
You quoted a line when he said "stuck" with 4 days' production, for a whole month. If Tesla is "stuck" with 4 days' production for 30 days, then that's 1/7th the usual sales rate in North America. But more than that, they would be "stuck" with 4 days of vehicles, which is probably less than their transport queue.

Here's a fairer interpretation: Tesla will be "stuck" with only 4 days' worth of production while their line starts making Europe models, starving the USA/North America market of faster deliveries for its cars; new USA buyers will have to wait much longer if they want a Tesla. The way Fred said it is a manufacturing glut, but it's actually a manufacturing shortfall.

I can just see the shorts now: "This is both a manufacturing glut and a manufacturing shortfall, at the same time, and in the same way."

Stuck! Stuck I tell you! Elon failed to minimize the inventory variable, QQQQQ
;)

Flip side: Tesla has less than a week of cars on hand (3% of a real OEM) Fremont is obviously failing to cover demand... QQQQQ
;)
Exactly.

Last edited:

In fairness, in the article, he does call out that it’s about 1/2 week of production, and that it was as of Sunday.

I would like to add my thanks to all you fine folks that have helped make 2018 so interesting.
Many of you provided valuable information/wisdom and laugh's. All incredibly valuable treasures and I thank you all!

Next year is sure to be a powerful turning point in the journey to sustainable energy and transportation.
I'm glad I am on the boat with all of you!

When do you think P&D report will come out ? Tomorrow or on 2nd morning (pre-market) ?

I'm hoping they release it tomorrow so that investors (and shorts) have a day to digest the news.

BTW, I closed a covered call I had written on Friday for $5 gain a contract - but didn't buy anything else today. I missed the 325/326 lows - and was not sure how the market will take whatever comes out - considering a breakout number last quarter was greeted with SP down. We don't even expect breakout numbers this time - just some limited increase over Q3, optimistically.

My guess is anytime between Wednesday and Friday morning.

My guess is anytime between Wednesday and Friday morning.
For Q3 - Tesla announced the number morning of Oct 2nd before 9 AM EST. But Electrek reported leaked numbers at 10 am Oct 1st.

So my expectation is the numbers will be released before the bell on 2nd. Being Tesla, I'm sure people will be working on the 1st to get the report ready ;)

BTW, rest of the industry will start reporting on Thursday, the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.