Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IF we could bring all manufacturing back to the US, then that would prove beneficial, and it may be that some moves back to the US, but if the tariffs stick, then it is more likely that manufacturing would move to another low cost country for manufacturing instead.

That said, China owns a lot of US debt, they could crush our economy if they wanted to, but at the peril of hurting their own as well.
They only have 1 trillion dollar treasury bonds lol

US has 20 trillion T bonds totally lol

And if fed want, they can buy 100 trillion T bond in a second lol

And if US don’t do anything now

It is a suicide

US will be bankrupt very soon(2-4years)

US people will get 0 from SSN Medicare Medicaid and food stamps lol

It is a suicide
While I DO think that the US needs to balance the budget and start knocking down that debt, I do think it is politically impossible as only a handful of those in the House or Senate genuinely care for the welfare of this country, no matter the aisle. I disagree that any chance for bankruptcy is that close.

But this is off topic, so I won’t continue any further on the topic in this thread.

Without trade war now US lost 375 billion dollar a year on trade deficit

With trade war US will only lose 100 billion dollar a year on exports to China!

With trade war China will lose 500 billion exports and 375 billion surplus a year

Lol

thout
With trade war could Apple go bankrupt? If we are going to arbitrarily change existing rules and laws, what is to stop China from raising the bets? People often look at this as transactional, static pie, how big is my percent of the total and not does this just make everyone better off. What is to stop China from imposing export tariffs on American made goods leaving china? This is not a zero sum game, we have trade because it tends to improve the lot for both sides. Adam Smith has been famous for 250 years for a reason and when we forget the principles of trade, specialization and comparative advantage we have amazing failures. I hope this is a great negotiating tactic, but copying Latin America trade policies of the 20th centers and modern day Venezuela does not seem like a best practices playbook. Apple makes all their phones in China, they could lose 100% of their products and have nothing to sell tomorrow and they are not the only American company making products that could be wiped out by China cutting off exports. They have net global savings, they can impact our credit markets and pull out of our stock market. I agree we should work on improving the terms of trade and cut off the IP theft especially, but don’t think this is an easy win no risk strategy. This can devolve very quickly.

In the playground you can bully someone how is 5/10 times weaker than you, but you gonna have to fight someone who is slightly weaker/stronger than you.

So definitely #2 cannot be bullied like say North Korea.

Gone are the days where you have bi-lateral meetings to discuss policy first, and actions later. Here it is all unilaternal based on twitter rants. What is being said by US is correct in many aspects, but wish they was a better approach that they followed

Remember Mercedes S class sells for $230-$430k in China.

Model S starts at $103k, don’t forget Musk’s fair pricing policy in China, which was received very well by markets in 2014. He could theoretically charge more if he wanted to. Here’s the 2014 article, exchange rates are different in 2014 vs now;

Tesla Model S 85 kWh "Fairly Priced" From $121,000 In China

Last edited:

It is a suicide

Who talks like this?

So, perhaps closer to "break even" but probably not profitable, unless R&D spending is severely curtailed.

If Tesla wanted just to be a niche luxury automaker (S/X only, the scenario we’re discussing), R&D would have been much lower. For that matter, SCTY wouldn’t have been acquired, either.

Again, by 2016, Tesla was positioned to be a profitable niche player. The only reason they have been unprofitable since is because they are expanding into the big time.

I've been trying to acquire more shares over this year. I've been penny-and-diming over a wide range of prices, as I can get more available cash. For now I've reached my limit. I put in a buy order last night with limit set at $268.21 for a nickel (5 shares). This morning it triggered in pre-market for $255.00. I've had a variation between buy limit and acquisition cost before, but never this large. What gives? Weren't the shorts willing to accept a larger offer? I'm not complaining, but what the?

Status
Not open for further replies.