Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, CR could have contacted Tesla directly when they got the weird brake distance numbers and allow the company to figure out a fix, and then report it. But the level of drama would have been much reduced, I guess.

Tesla Corp is not CR's customer. CR readers/subscribers (no doubt including many Tesla customers) are. CR's mission is to serve consumers, not giant corporations like Tesla.

There is nothing unfair or improper in what CR did here.

And so, it is not "already" profitable at $44k. It isn't at $44k.

Perhaps you would explain what you mean. Is there a particular mix of options, battery sizes, etc. at which the car could theoretically be offered and profitable if priced at $44k?
A while ago based on the take rate reported in M3 Invites, I did a ballpark ASP. I've updated it with the new pricing, 3 scenarios. ASP should be well over $45k in worst case, likely close to $50K even in 2019, and contributing $4b annual gross profit.
upload_2018-5-22_12-14-19.png

upload_2018-5-22_12-14-25.png

and assuming lower take rate on EAP/FSD and premium paint/wheels when the SR version comes
upload_2018-5-22_12-15-8.png

I'd stop reading it, then.

Stopped reading this POS magazine / toilet paper like 15 years ago.

However, the mainstream hasn't – they now have regional spin-offs in 34 countries – and that's exactly why Europe's car industry is keen to have them on their side. Good reviews by Auto Bild certainly won't hurt sales in good ol' Europe.

And so, it is not "already" profitable at $44k. It isn't at $44k.

Perhaps you would explain what you mean. Is there a particular mix of options, battery sizes, etc. at which the car could theoretically be offered and profitable if priced at $44k?
You're quibbling. I was simply making reference to the nominal starting price of the LR version that is currently being produced.

Your comment is a non sequitur. Tesla is acting to maximize cash flow produced in the face of limited production rate. This is exactly what shareholders would want at this stage. After production is above 5k/wk, it will begin to make sense to produce low optioned Model 3. I business needs higher volume before going after lower margin.

Sorry you're upset but I think Elon is being more than accommodating with his response. Offering another recent example for retest is more than fair on his part. If all of their experience from current owners and other testing shows a different result than how can this be seen as systemic? He is addressing the problem, offering a fix if needed, and it will all be addressed in a matter of weeks. Done. What other auto company could address a potential issue in such a timely manner.

As to Twitter and other social media, say what you will but that is the chosen mode of communication these days. I don't like it either but to the vast majority of people these days, that is where they get their information. It is what it is.

Dan
GM, VW and the others would just lie and bury genuine problems for years if not decades just to save a few million. And we have the vehicles that can actually be fixed while we sleep. So honesty and efficiency from Tesla. Lies and coverups from the rest.

Give it time.

Also, stop buying the gains. Buy the dips.
Yeah, but I keep buying the dip. Then there's another dip. Then there's another dip. And another, and another, and another. And I can't seem to resist, no matter how many times I say "okay, that's enough, I'm done buying." I think my growth of TSLA stock has matched the 50% annual Tesla growth in production.

This guy Paulo Santos has been short TSLA for 2 years and posting negative articles on SA in that time.

I just noticed a change in his latest article, and then also that he no longer has any position in TSLA.

Tesla Finally Sees Some Good News (And Other Things) - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

Smart shorts heading for the door?

I almost didn't read that article as I typically avoid Paulo and that guy that gives Big Sky Country a bad name, Montana Skeptic (grrrr...). But that's the most optimistic article of his I've seen in years. Makes me wonder what's up...

Last edited:
Couldn't this be said about a release on the way down as well though? It would amplify the drop and seem like horrible timing. My guess is that they don't follow the stock closely and time the release of reports based upon stock movement. But I could be wrong.
You are wrong. Release of new product telegraphed for week before based on production milestone and chances in website to take orders was not in response to an article

Status
Not open for further replies.