Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would bet Tesla will sell more than 600k BEV car units / year before any other car manufacturer, including Volvo, BMW, VW, Nissan, Honda or Toyota. And since BEVs are the future of cars, that's the only category that matters when talking about future growth of sales.

I'll see your bet and raise you... Tesla will get to 600K long range (200+) miles BEVs before any and all other automakers on the planet combined get there : )

The auto makers will, no elves (or tents) involved.

Take for example Daimler. They will have 8 battery factories globally:

Daimler to build battery factories in Sindelfingen, Untertuerkheim

Some already completed in Germany, more coming for a total of eight. And that‘s just Daimler (relatively small in terms of unit output among car makers).

As for cell supply: Just two news items from recent weeks...

CATL just announced building another 14 GWh cell factory in Germany for local clients:

China's CATL to build its first European EV battery factory in Germany

LG Chem is adding a 32 GWh factory (that‘s battery factory number five for them globally) in China:

LG Chem to Build Its Second Electric Car Battery Plant in China

And yet Elon Musk keeps claiming that he (via Panasonic) makes more EV batteries than all others combined?

This says nothing about the capacity of the battery pack facilities themselves. 8 facilities is a meaningless figure without more context.

Again, the game is capturing market share in the most profitable BEV vehicle segments and most valuable customers. Tesla doesn’t care if Honda sells a ton of short range electric Vezels at paper thin margins. They care about this as much as Apple does about low end Android devices. The money will be in the high end, and the industry stalwarts have nothing that can complete with the Model 3. Don’t take my word for it. Both Murnro & Associates and German consultants concluded in their teardown analysis that Tesla’s battery technology and integrated electronics were far more advanced than the competition.

I often see people wondering,

-when will these short-sighted ICE execs figure out that EVs are the future?

-when will these bean counting Wall Street guys stop looking through the rear view mirror and see the bigger picture?

and, today,

-when will the media catch on to what the Model 3 is about and start writing glowing stories about the disruption Tesla has put in place?

and I think of the clip below, and hear all this as,

-I wonder why so many of these cans are defective?

-Gee, I wonder why someone could be so sore at some cans?

not meant to be mean, just an attempt to suggest another way of looking at what is going on.

I often see people wondering,

-when will these short-sighted ICE execs figure out that EVs are the future?

-when will these bean counting Wall Street guys stop looking through the rear view mirror and see the bigger picture?

and, today,

-when will the media catch on to what the Model 3 is about and start writing glowing stories about the disruption Tesla has put in place?

and I think of the clip below, and hear all this as,

-I wonder why so many of these cans are defective?

-Gee, I wonder why someone could be so sore at some cans?

not meant to be mean, just an attempt to suggest another way of looking at what is going on.

Media will stop writing negatively about Tesla AFTER shorts stop paying them to do so.

Ok, so Model3 should be mostly correct (since sold in US only plus a few in Canada), but did you use US numbers only for S and X unit sales?

Even adjusting S and X for international sales (and generously adding storage batteries) the numbers don’t add up with Elon’s claims.

Here’s CATL alone:

View attachment 321383

Tesla May Be Trampled by CATL in China

Note these numbers were for 2017 and CATL is growing quickly.

How can Tesla then make more GWh of batteries than the rest of the world combined?

Just looking at CATL’s numbers above (from their IPO prospectus) shows that this isn’t the case.

PS: I find it amusing that quoting output numbers from an IPO prospectus is considered trolling now.

Did you know that the best Chinese battery manufacturer has less than 90% pass rate for cylinders rolling off their pipeline, far lower than industry standard? On another related information, did you know that Chinese pharmaceutical company can not produce generic drugs that has the same effectiness of the originals, so that Chinese consumers are forced to pay sky high price for the imported ones? Why are they related? They are all mass production of chemical compounds that requires precision.

And did you know that until recently China has to import all the ball point pens, because they can not produce the ball point locally.

Last edited:
Ok, so Model3 should be mostly correct (since sold in US only plus a few in Canada), but did you use US numbers only for S and X unit sales?

Even adjusting S and X for international sales (and generously adding storage batteries) the numbers don’t add up with Elon’s claims.

Here’s CATL alone:

View attachment 321383

Tesla May Be Trampled by CATL in China

Note these numbers were for 2017 and CATL is growing quickly.

How can Tesla then make more GWh of batteries than the rest of the world combined?

Just looking at CATL’s numbers above (from their IPO prospectus) shows that this isn’t the case.

PS: I find it amusing that quoting output numbers from an IPO prospectus is considered trolling now.
Tesla's plan to make more GWh of batteries than the rest of the world combined is made several years ago before CATL is on anyoneZ's radar, based on the world production number then.

Apparently things changed for the better. I for one cheers this development.

However if you look deeper this is actually bad for EVs in China. Main market for CATL is to supply battery for beefed up e-bike/motorcycle/scooter, which is largely used by the large army of delivery workers in China. Those batteries are low quality, with short life, useless after two years of usage. So the bikes are made so that it is very easy to replace the battery.

And the EVs have the same reputation in China, people worry that they have to replace the battery after three years.

The auto makers will, no elves (or tents) involved.

Take for example Daimler. They will have 8 battery factories globally:

Daimler to build battery factories in Sindelfingen, Untertuerkheim

Some already completed in Germany, more coming for a total of eight. And that‘s just Daimler (relatively small in terms of unit output among car makers).

As for cell supply: Just two news items from recent weeks...

CATL just announced building another 14 GWh cell factory in Germany for local clients:

China's CATL to build its first European EV battery factory in Germany

LG Chem is adding a 32 GWh factory (that‘s battery factory number five for them globally) in China:

LG Chem to Build Its Second Electric Car Battery Plant in China

And yet Elon Musk keeps claiming that he (via Panasonic) makes more EV batteries than all others combined?

8 mini factories? How cute. They’re going to need 50 more to maybe match GF output.

Reactions: neroden
...and meanwhile, back on topic...

Price down slightly in pre-market trading. I think it's going to be a wild ride today and tomorrow going into the earnings call. Maybe longer depending on how the FUD is managed. No doubt the numbers from Wednesday (whatever they are) will be spun in a negative light.

Hold onto your butts. Gonna be a crazy week I think.

Dan

Reactions: jkirkwood001
...and meanwhile, back on topic...

Price down slightly in pre-market trading. I think it's going to be a wild ride today and tomorrow going into the earnings call. Maybe longer depending on how the FUD is managed. No doubt the numbers from Wednesday (whatever they are) will be spun in a negative light.

Hold onto your butts. Gonna be a crazy week I think.

Dan

I'm not going to stress-out with the SP for the coming days.

I do hope that Elon uses the EC to get some good info out there and get us back on an upward trend.

Tesla in a better place than ever, M3 is a massive success, so many happy new owners sharing their joy on social media.

Just a matter of time folks - days, weeks or months, I could say though.

I’ll just leave this here...

0BE7F661-A6EB-42DC-90C6-0500206DDE99.jpeg

I’ll just leave this here...

View attachment 321497

Let me slip into short mode for a moment... ah, here we go: "That just means Tesla will be bankwupt all the sooner, because they lose money on every car they make, and nobody's buying them, they're just leaving them to rot in lots in the desert!"

How was that? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.