Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that volume of 6-7m shares is pretty low - which suggests the big buyers are inactive, which could be because:
  • one possible reason could be that major shareholders are unable to initiate more buying, because their main Tesla decision makers are in possession of non-public material information, such as the details of the going-private negotiations,
  • or Tesla/Elon could have insisted on a freeze on share count for a shareholder to be part of the negotiation process, (to prevent a rush for shares),
  • or there's indeed too much uncertainty about the deal to justify more buying.
At the same time there's plenty of justification to sell shares - which creates downwards movement.

Also, maybe they don't want to raise the stock price too much, which would necessitate raising the buy-out offer higher than 420?

It never ends...

This just now from Dow Jones Newswire hence the drop in the SP:

Tesla Is Also Under Investigation for Model 3 Disclosures - Source
DOW JONES & COMPANY, INC.5:26 PM ET 8/16/2018
(MORE TO FOLLOW) Dow Jones Newswires08-16-181826ETCopyright (c) 2018 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

Wow, they are reporting the investigation from last year as if it is new with no new information... I wonder if the SEC is getting tired of this crap.

Anyone see that new article from the analyst that it should be easy to hit 8k per week without much more capital expense. (Long tsla).

I can't post the link but it can be easily found.

We already knew this. Tesla told us on the ER call that going from 5k/wk to 10k/wk was going to be way less expensive than they originally thought due to efficiencies they discovered during hell week, er...monthS and tent deployment.

This information was mostly glossed over by the media and analysts but we picked up on it here as VERY good news. VERY good.

Geez, this latest security guy “whistleblower” makes it obvious why Tesla needs to go private. I just don’t believe this guy is doing what he’s doing on his own without being paid off for doing it. Elon is right, there is a huge financial incentive for the shorts to screw up Tesla.

The fact that the FUD is getting more and more ridiculous, and less about Model 3 production or Tesla’s quarterly reports, suggests to me that anti-Tesla enties are running out of maneuvering room.

No, I'm not. Sue for what, FUD?
For losses. As I understand it there are two potential groups of plaintiffs.

1. Longs who bought on the news and sold as the price came back down when the market realized funding was not actually secured and Musk misled investors (if this turns out to be the case).

2. Shorts who incurred losses when they covered after Musk's material and false statement of "Funding Secured" (If it is deemed misleading and/or false by the SEC)

Did you read the headline or actually listen to what was said. Warning: This is an opinion piece from Fox Business.

Gasparino says: SEC has "launched a formal investigation" - where does this information really come from (the SEC has not said so themselves)? What is a "formal investigation"?

Further, about Musk's tweet: "It's still unclear whether he has any funding at all for this thing" - well you may think Elon just makes sh**t up but his track record says otherwise. Goldman Sachs no longer have a price target on TSLA, since they are now actively advising Tesla on the deal, we have details about interest from the Saudis, we know Silver Lake are involved, so to sugge4st that "it's still unclear wheter he has any funding at all" is not a very accurate statment.

"I'm not comparing what Elon did to Enron, but I'm using it as a comparison". (Verbatim) OK...?

I never watch Fox but is this typical of their news and financial reporting? It seems very unprofessional.

For losses. As I understand it there are two potential groups of plaintiffs.

1. Longs who bought on the news and sold as the price came back down when the market realized funding was not actually secured and Musk misled investors (if this turns out to be the case).

2. Shorts who incurred losses when they covered after Musk's material and false statement of "Funding Secured" (If it is deemed misleading and/or false by the SEC)

So basically anyone who bought, sold, shorted or did an options play has a legal case against Tesla? Because the price went up? Or went down? Or both. (because the price went up then down, stock prices tend to do that). I fail to see the logic here.

Wow, they are reporting the investigation from last year as if it is new with no new information... I wonder if the SEC is getting tired of this crap.
1. Par for the course. Bots, and most humans, only read the headlines.
2. IMHO, there is too much money/political pressure being placed on the SEC to investigate Tesla/Musk for them to "notice" anything that goes against the party line.

Party line = agenda not political

I hope you're right @Johan. When do you think this all gets cleared up?

On the lawsuits. There is no liability if there are losses due to normal market movements but if the losses were incurred as a result of the CEO providing false and/or misleading information, there is a problem.

My tip is don't listen to the media outlets at all, do your own analysis and base it on 1) first hand information (what the SEC actually say or don't say, what Elon says himself, what Tesla the company says officially, what other parties say) and 2) When you see the desperate grasping for strawmen and the tactic of throwing a lot of stuff out and see if anything sticks from detractors on the one hand while on the other side (the "long side") there is deafening silence you know who has the strong hand and who has the weak hand, right?

I would definitely not just put in limit orders to BUY or SELL from one day to another. With this stock we could gap through and past any limit VERY quickly and depending on who your broker is you could be either stopped out or miss the limit entirely and be holding the bag.

What do you mean? It should not be possible to be "stopped out" of a limit order or "miss the limit" on NASDAQ.

Your BUY/SELL LIMIT order is part of the order book and the price cannot move past your limit without matching and executing it first.

Gaps are generally handled well: NASDAQ uses the "opening cross" which sets and stabilizes an opening price for everyone.

If an overnight gap happens touching your limit order you'll still get an execution close to the opening price - not at your (much worse) limit price.

(Stop orders are worse in this regard: they won't get favorable execution after a gap.)

I hope you're right @Johan. When do you think this all gets cleared up?

On the lawsuits. There is no liability if there are losses due to normal market movements but if the losses were incurred as a result of the CEO providing false and/or misleading information, there is a problem.

The way it's gone in the past is there will be other big news soon enough and we will forget all about these putative SEC investigations. Then sometime in the future we get a small blurb that the SEC found no wrongdoing and Elon and Tesla are cleared. But this news will be mostly overlooked by the sensationalist media and will not really move the share price.

Longs will then complain that the price dropped on the news of the investigation but did not increase commensurately on the news that it is over. Of course, it might be different this time because Tesla will probably already be private by the time it happens.

I'm long TSLA bigtime (relative to the size of my portfolio) so I'm hoping this is not accurate and I can be paranoid but I've recently become quite concerned. The SEC investigation could be a significant negative development but I can also see how it may blow over. HOWEVER, the report that Tesla is concerned about billions (plural) of potential losses from investor lawsuits....could that not force them into bankruptcy (or some other poor alternative i.e. fire sale, divestitures etc.)? They only have a couple billion cash on hand. That's sufficient for production ramp and normal operation but throw unexpected $billions of costs into the mix and it may not be. They could raise cash but that could prove very difficult as it would be a move of desperation.

Is no one else here concerned? Again, hoping I'm wrong but I'm getting worried about getting my car delivered and having a lasting support structure around it, let alone stock losses.
Any losses from paying out investor lawsuits will be years into the future, by which time either (unlikely) Tesla will be gone, or (more likely) Tesla will be making lots of money which will make the lawsuits irrelevant.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and madodel
Status
Not open for further replies.