Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow there really is little buy pressure to counter the selling. Is the reason that retail investors that want to stay private are already more or less fully in the stock, while institutional investors are blocket from buying due to privliged information and/or a stock buying moratorium (as suggested by @Fact Checking)? I'm starting to think this more and more... What an arbitrage opportunity if the deal price holds at $420 (would be really hard to back off from that now).

Sounds reasonable. I've been thinking more about the reasons people are aggressively selling rather than timidly buying. How are the institutional managers going to look if they are selling now, after the CEO states he wants to take the company private and if/when the de-listing happens at $420 (or anything above today's prices)? Shorts adding to positions have to be convinced that Elon is lying about a bid, and the further we get below $420, the more the risk for those shorting today. Retail investors who think it unlikely they'll be able to convert to TSLAP, would have to be quite "weak" longs to be prepared to give up a potential >$100 per share by selling today. I'm struggling the understand the "logic" here.

Oil/gas/OEM will need to use their own people to spread their message, that makes the source more obvious. All those with short position will not bother continuing. Is oil/gas going to hire Mark S in media relations? Will Chanos still go on CNBC?

You think the average person considering buying a Tesla watches CNBC or even knows Jim Chanos. Stop thinking as an investor. I know people who were considering buying a Model 3 and changed their mind because of BS they read on social media. OEMs and Oil companies don’t have to “use their own people” either. Well not officially anyway. Chanos doesn’t even use his real name on Twitter. Not to mention bots are a thing....

• Informative
Reactions: hacer and bhtooefr
Indeed I was wrong, we didn't get to 32x, we got to 31x instead. Here's the next prediction, we'll get under 3xx soon enough. I don't see a re-test of the recent lows but we'll certainly get under 3xx for one/several of many reasons. My last entry was 5% of the position at 337. I'm not going to start to re-enter till 29x. then add as we go down. That will probably happen in the next 60 days.

There are forces at play here that we cannot see, but we can see and feel their influence.

Here's the actual statement from the board, as given to the New Yuck Times:

“There have been many false and irresponsible rumors in the press about the discussions of the Tesla board. We would like to make clear that Elon’s commitment and dedication to Tesla is obvious. Over the past 15 years, Elon’s leadership of the Tesla team has caused Tesla to grow from a small start-up to having hundreds of thousands of cars on the road that customers love, employing tens of thousands of people around the world, and creating significant shareholder value in the process.”

Source: Tesla board backs Elon Musk as he faces the 'most painful' year of his career
From the stock price, I already know the Fake News is a lying piece of crap. But I have that web site blocked in my firewall. Is there another way to access that information?

The author which I found via another site shows her to be someone who would likely be a spy for BYD, and entirely against the interests of a successful USA company such as Tesla. This is pure anti-USA FUD.

Elon has been drinking too much of the communist kool aid lately. That is definitely worrying!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Mader Levap
I don’t understand why anyone thinks going private will stop all this FUD. While it may not be aimed at affecting stock price, it will undoubtedly continue in an attempt affect the Tesla brand and demand for their products. Other OEMs as well as oil/gas companies will still have massive incentive to attack Tesla.

How much FUD do you hear about SpaceX?

Working super hard is excruciating, though the results are exalting.
The Media attacks may hurt the brand, and that will self correct later.
Is he worried about the SEC investigation and the media hoopla, possibly.

Did he give the interview because he felt the worst was behind
And profitability within reach, so now he could reminisce
About the pain and openly express his feelings. A Most
Credible explanation in my view. Worst ahead was just a hedge
That Is my interpretation or maybe I am delusional.

Keeping the moderators jumping this morning?

What is really becoming disconcerting to me isn't so much what is happening with the stock price. I expect that with such a disruptive company. I am truly beginning to get morally outraged at the tactics being employed by some people and the obvious negative effect it is having on many people, including myself. I hear it all the time that emotion has no place in the stock market but apparently moral character and humanitarian decency don't either. This is a cesspool of vile, despicable people and I find it remarkable they are able to keep their jobs. As soon as my car is ready for delivery and I need to finalize my financing I will be cashing out. I want no more of this. I realize that is exactly what the shorts want but I am done with all this. I hate watching what it is doing to Elon and others. I feel dirty just reading all this crap.

Dan
I agree with you that it is hard reading all this BS. I'm all in with Tesla because it's an emotional and financial investment. I don't waste my time fighting the FUD- the purveyors of this stuff sold their souls long ago. No rational argument will work. Every share purchase I make is one less share to be shorted. I have been in the Tesla choir for over 6 years. I always have time to talk about my car and what Tesla is doing when somebody asks. My first of 2 Model 3s will be delivered in 90 minutes. So far 311 seems to be holding as the low.

Yeah, it was 80% probable that even if he gave the NYT an exclusive interview they'd backstab him: lots of vile Tesla articles from them lately, with likely NYT editorial board backing.

He should have given Wired an interview instead.

Hopefully Elon will eventually learn to not trust journalists ...
Seriously, you presume to instruct Elon on media relations? Do you really think the man is playing only 4-dimensional chess here? Obviously he is now working in 5-dimensions. All is well. The New York Times is nothing more than an unsuspecting cog in the master plan. Elon is so far ahead of these shorts and fudsters that they can't even comprehent what's about to hit them.

O ye of little faith!

Yeah, it was 80% probable that even if he gave the NYT an exclusive interview they'd backstab him: lots of vile Tesla articles from them lately, with likely NYT editorial board backing.

He should have given Wired an interview instead.

Hopefully Elon will eventually learn to not trust journalists ...
And when he stops speaking to these weasels they will call him paranoid and hiding things. I wish we had a timeline for when TSLAP goes live so all this manipulation will become meaningless. It won't stop as these liars still have the agenda to attack Tesla to hurt sales. Problem for them is that driving a Tesla makes it apparent that they are lying.

Reactions: landis and EinSV
I am truly beginning to get morally outraged at the tactics being employed by some people and the obvious negative effect it is having on many people, including myself.
I thought this was normal - may be too used to politics.

The establishment wants all the benefits of disruptive innovation - but none of the baggage that comes with it.

Reactions: Xorbit
I don’t understand why anyone thinks going private will stop all this FUD. While it may not be aimed at affecting stock price, it will undoubtedly continue in an attempt affect the Tesla brand and demand for their products. Other OEMs as well as oil/gas companies will still have massive incentive to attack Tesla.
Going private will reduce attack credibility and vulnerability.

In order for your attack to be effective it should be credible, i.e. to have at least some appearance of being based on reality and should touch vulnerable areas, i.e. to hit where it hurts.

Currently FUD attacks scare retail and general investors, continuous reports "based" on quarterly reports scare financial institutes available for public companies, any reporting on possible suits and investigations gives fuel to stock volatility. Volatile stock is profit. Profit is money which can attract "investments" like hiring people to install cameras around factory, harassing workers etc.

If Tesla will be private, you will have mostly bizarre customer stories, which will be too close to common people and easier to disprove, and there will be no outside control on company financing.
All these experts will have to round up with "Tesla autos" will have soon, very soon very big concurrency and won't be able to compete with real auto companies. There will be no open Q reports, no disclosed plans with numbers.
Most importantly you won't have enthusiastic shorts spreading FUD and "crowdfunding" extra waves of FUD in social media.
Tesla funs will have to deal with FUD of SpaceX flavor which was always much less crazier.

Last edited:
they’re clearly trying to destroy
elon and tesla, so why play into their trap and keep giving them more ammo? why let them know it’s actually working, and letting them off the hook!
i don’t get it...what’s the angle he’s playing?

this is absolutely crazy

i have f**king had it with the way our market works and the way we’re hell bent on destroying the best american company.

Last edited:
How much FUD do you hear about SpaceX?

Not a lot of money in rockets compared to automotive and energy. It's just a few gravy-train contractors getting screwed, and not much compelling arguments they can make against SX anyway.

I also don't think the FUD will stop when/if we go private, just won't affect the SP that's all - unless they manage to disrupt Tesla brand on the process and suppress consumer demand.

This however, will be difficult I feel, drive the car, you want the car... So we just need the vehicles in the hands of as many people as possible.

Elon was way to honest in that interview. Maybe they didn't write everything he said. New investors in Tesla could see his behavior as erratic and probably thinks he is unstable. Not really surprised, but good opportunity for longs I guess or this thread has made me delusional as well.
Of course they didn't write anything he said.
And the fact that instead they had to rehash same FUD package means or there were no 1 hour long interview, or Musk said things they would not never put in the hit piece.

Reactions: PANN
Status
Not open for further replies.