Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly enough the borrow rate at IB for TSLA is the lowest it has been since March. I would guesstimate another 1.5 million shares were covered since the last report. A declining price and declining short interest seems unusual for TSLA. I would speculate current price action may be driven more by scared longs and/or some big holder (Saudi Arabia?) selling than by shorts. Obviously this could imply further downside since shorts have plenty of ammunition to continue driving the price down but stock prices are impossible for me to predict.
You are forgetting that shorts sold borrowed shares. My guess is some short positions are being forced to close in order to return the shares to the lender. The lender is then selling the shares to stop their losses. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: bhtooefr
Have you read Elons Mail? This is in my perspective not normal any more from a CEO and Chairman of a huge public company. Who does he believe he is? He destroyed shareholder value and is not e even caring about it or apologizing and now a new great mail story? Are you kidding me... I really hope this is not true, otherwise I guess he will not be our CEO for very much longer as he seems out of mind.

He gets cruelly attacked from guy with suspicious lifestyle.
He gets rightfully upset and points out the suspicious lifestyle. (I'm pretty sure he has more precise information that he isn't sharing)
And then he gets attacked more for pointing this out.

Wouldn't that drive you bonkers?

If Elon is correct, and I suspect there is a strong chance he is, the media is getting mad at him and not the pedo.

Isn't that crazy?

It's like saying Larry Nassar is a bad man. And people attack *you* for it.

Now if it is totally baseless, yes, not good of course, but I strongly suspect there is some strong basis to all of this and Elon didn't just make it all up.

Maybe if the guy gets arrested the stock will pop back up.

What a crazy ride this is.

Regardless of all this TMZ like nonsense, Q3 numbers will be good, and away we go again back up.

MBA 101... Rule #1. No one EVER puts up $millions, much less $billions without conditions. That is a given in the LBO/EBO "go private" game.

Adding to my earlier rebuttal: they do when a few billion is quite likely to turn into a lot of billions. That’d simply be called investing.

Kind of like when Daimler gave Tesla $50M way back in 2008 when Tesla was going to go bankrupt without that cash infusion and then a few years later were rewarded with hundreds of millions. Daimler got a board seat at some point back then, which didn’t provide them any kind of particular control. If I recall correctly, that seat voted with the rest of the board every single time. Later Daimler was rewarded with hundreds of millions and the board seat went bye-bye.

The real kicker is that back then when Tesla was private and the recession hit there was a really good chance they’d fail and Daimler would lose their investment. All of us long term retail investors thank Daimler everyday for the risk they took. We also never understood why they got out right when things started to come together for Tesla. I’d have loved to be a fly on the wall when those decisions were made. While they got paid handsomely for the initial investments, if they’d stayed they’d have a crap ton more return. I believe there was some sort of changing of the guard at Daimler at that point that may have been the reaon for the cashout. One of the oldie members might recall better than I.

Now, those that were wanting to get a piece of a private Tesla were about as guaranteed of turning their investments into a grossly ridiculous pile of money as can happen in business. Demanding control over Tesla would have been greedy. Maybe you ask because you just have to ask as a matter of principle, but if you think there was any chance to take control you hadn’t been paying attention. That’s called Bachelor Degree of Elon Musk 101.

Now, those that were wanting to get a piece of a private Tesla were about as guaranteed of turning their investments into a grossly ridiculous pile of money as can happen in business. Demanding control over Tesla would have been greedy..
Why those who were willing to pay 420 for "guaranteed of turning their investments into a grossly ridiculous pile of money" are not buying now? Paying 280 instead of 420 would turn the investment into even more grossly ridiculous pile of money.

Ps. you're using that word again.. You give a lot of guarantees.

Last edited:
Adding to my earlier rebuttal: they do when a few billion is quite likely to turn into a lot of billions. That’d simply be called investing.

Kind of like when Daimler gave Tesla $50M way back in 2008 when Tesla was going to go bankrupt without that cash infusion and then a few years later were rewarded with hundreds of millions. Daimler got a board seat at some point back then, which didn’t provide them any kind of particular control. If I recall correctly, that seat voted with the rest of the board every single time. Later Daimler was rewarded with hundreds of millions and the board seat went bye-bye.

The real kicker is that back then when Tesla was private and the recession hit there was a really good chance they’d fail and Daimler would lose their investment. All of us long term retail investors thank Daimler everyday for the risk they took. We also never understood why they got out right when things started to come together for Tesla. I’d have loved to be a fly on the wall when those decisions were made. While they got paid handsomely for the initial investments, if they’d stayed they’d have a crap ton more return. I believe there was some sort of changing of the guard at Daimler at that point that may have been the reaon for the cashout. One of the oldie members might recall better than I.

Now, those that were wanting to get a piece of a private Tesla were about as guaranteed of turning their investments into a grossly ridiculous pile of money as can happen in business. Demanding control over Tesla would have been greedy. Maybe you ask because you just have to ask as a matter of principle, but if you think there was any chance to take control you hadn’t been paying attention. That’s called Bachelor Degree of Elon Musk 101.
Daimler and VW had very clear motives for their actions. Surprised you cannot see them.

Reactions: Matias
It may be a temporary peak but it will have lasting negative impact. A bad experience is a bad experience, no excuses.

When people ask these customers about their Teslas it will now come with a nightmare story about their delivery.

They could have temporarily staffed up, they could have used a best practice learning center, a dedicated fix-it team, etc. What they haven’t done is solve the delivery issue after months of bad reports.

You’re making more out of it than needs be. Everyone has a different definition of good experience and bad experience. I’ve seen someone complain because there wasn’t any coffee and that hit their bad radar.

Here’s the truth of it; people will be people. They love to tell a good story and will embellish to make it a great story. They love to tell a bad story and will embellish to get boatloads of sympathy. Somewhere in the middle will be the truth.

People tell of horror stories from dealerships, yet they keep buying from them - for decades. And no, they don’t change brands because of it. They change brands when the car they take home gives them more trouble than they are willing to deal with over whatever period of time matches their patience.

My delivery experience was a whatever moment in time. Could have been better, could have been worse. In the end completely irrelevant because the car I bought is da bomb! I will for sure be buying a Y. Probably a pickup at well. And that Roadster will take all my willpower to passby. Maybe used. The spouse has already been all over my butt wanting to upgrade the 3. I can only hold them off so long.

The delivery experience passes real quick when the product is as badass as it is. That’s the truth of people; short memories and what have you done for me lately. Those handful that stomp off because the delivery service wasn’t fit for royalty are generally pain in the butt customers anyway that cause more hassle than they are worth.

And yes, of course I think Tesla should continue to work on and improve the efficiency, consistency and pleasantness of the delivery experience for its customers.

And this is not coming out until 2019? What happens if the Model X 2.0 carries a 150kw packs with 500+ miles of range and 0-60 in 2.5sec? Ever since they debuted the roadster with a 200kw pack, I feel like the powertrain competition was already over.
I've also been thinking this. The media still has to put it together. Congratulations Singuy for saying it first :)
Tesla will be showing off their Model S & X based off 21-70 batteries by the time the Mercedes is coming to market. (There will probably be a production stoppage and some advance warning due to the massive factory overhaul.) There may be a "dual-layer battery" and "single-layer battery" version of the platform, so you can get your 300-mile-ish range, or something approaching 600 miles. (note these cars are larger and don't have the aerodynamics of the Roadster 2.0 so don't expect a guaranteed 600 miles of range). The competitors, and their 180-to-250-mile range options, will look terrible.

Back to TSLA!!! I bought some at $290.00 yesterday and some at $280.00 this morning. Expecting later this year I will see nice profits on those lots.

It's weird to see zero coverage of TSLA stock in the media, despite the downward movements.

• Informative
Reactions: Cobos
Status
Not open for further replies.