Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kimball is a shoe in for Chairman. Make NO mistake .... it's still Elon's board. Period.

Thank goodness he agreed to this ... we don't need this distraction ..... lesson learned ... slap on the wrist ... in a few months no one will even remember it happened.

Cheers to the longs.

Edit: I wish the settlement had something in it barring Kimball from wearing that hat. :)
Why does everyone want Kimball? I like him personally but this board needs a heavy hitter that will give big institutional investors peace of mind, and that's not Kimball. That's someone like Eric Schmidt. Someone with experience managing high growth, big market cap tech companies. I just don't get the Kimball benefit, other than he's a really cool guy who loves his brother. But from investment standpoint, why?

It still has that verbiage.

Edit:

My first version was wrong - it has verbiage preventing Elon from disputing the allegations publicly, i.e. saying that the SEC was wrong - but he's not admitting wrongdoing either.

I just read through the agreement:

Looks reasonable, looks like mostly about face saving for the SEC, and a slap on the wrist for Elon.

Elon was right about the "Am considering..." tweet, but he wrote many other tweets that showed lack of message discipline.

I have to admit, the SEC just increased the value of TSLA tremendously: Elon agreeing to the Tesla board filtering Elon's Twitter messages: priceless!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Musk

This are all awesome news. Just great.

I can't find much negatives in there. The only part is that he has to step down as a Chairman but that will not be an issue because he will be the driving force to decide who it is. 3 years are quickly over and maybe he will enjoy even not to have that burden on top of the CEO role.

So I do not see that this does effect Teslas future in any way negative. Additional Directors should help and some checks & balances with all communication will help too. Elon clearly will stay in control in all areas. $20 Mio is a joke and he will earn that easily with the stock going up.

Looking towards Monday the SP certainly will shoot up. Assuming they release the numbers after the first firework is over to start the second.

All shorts will sweat right now ....... not sure if that together with great numbers could create a short squeeze next week but you never know.

Yes I just read the settlement and it doesn’t say anything about new directors.

Edited to state: But the SEC press release does refer to new directors. It also refers to resolution of the lawsuit against “them”, Musk and Tesla. Thought this was only against Musk!

From the SEC press release: "The SEC also today charged Tesla with failing to have required disclosure controls and procedures relating to Musk’s tweets, a charge that Tesla has agreed to settle."

Not only supervision on twitter is great, I hope going forward Elon will stop giving predictions. The company publishes one official forward looking statement at each quarter end, add the standard "risk, uncertainty" verbiage. That's it. Learn a little bit how other CEOs dance around questions. There are valid reasons why they don't answer questions straight. Also give too much details about your plan will hurt competition. Keep your competitors and enemies in the dark. Apple never discloses details about their new products under development, it's a good approach.

It's very possible to go too far in terms of muzzling him. I love Musk's openness on Twitter. He just needs a filter.

It can't be Kimball. The settlement says independent chairman.

I felt this was obvious. I really wonder whom this would be and would it be subject to shareholder approval?

While unpopular by many in the Tesla community I would hope it would be Tim Cook.

And that Apple takes a big stake in Tesla. Not control but a stake so we can get a good app ecosystem. It’s a waste to not monetize that giant Teslapad in every Tesla.

Would someone please explain what paragraph 13 means and what would be the consequences w.r.t. the lawsuits those shorts filed against him?

he can't deny the allegations in made in the complaint in "public statements" and specifically carves out: "Nothing in this paragraph affects Defendant’s: (i) testimonial obligations; or (ii) right to take legal or factual positions in litigation or other legal proceedings in which the Commission is not a party." -- end of para 13

It is standard SEC policy to not allow defendants to deny when they also agree to sanctions. 17 CFR 202.5 - Enforcement activities.

I don't know of a settlement with sanctions where they didn't have the "no denial" language.

I also don't know of a case where they pursued a breach of such contractual agreement where a defendant later publicly denied the allegations.

Is the $20M tax deductible ?

no 26 CFR 1.162-21 - Fines and penalties.

The SEC did us all a favor. Very happy with the result, as a Tesla fan. To distract him by an SEC suit and lose him would have been a tragedy, but to separate out the chairman role is good corporate governance, especially with this company. Hopefully this tail-wagging board actually takes this opportunity of getting a real chairman and two real independent directors to heart. Probably won’t though. Hopefully a learning moment for our beloved Elon.

Yes and assuming long term 50/50 rate between AWD and RWD its effectively 7.5k cars at this time which is way ahead of batteries/body ramp, which is great news. Batteries bottle neck will soon be history with panasonic lines and groman machines in Q4. Body would be the hardest/only bottle neck left in Q4.
During the Q2 Earnings Call, Elon said that after they were finished with the call, he as headed straight to the body shop to work on a bottleneck. Then he added, but don't freak out, it'll be fixed in like 2 weeks. That was 8 weeks ago.
Personally I think the current limiter at Fremont is the paint shop. But now with 2 fewer colors to make, and tweaking demand for multicoat red with a price increase, that may not be the case today either.
Damn, these guys hustle! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.