Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain this to me?

Why when I do a yahoo quote for TSLA and scroll down to the news, does it have almost all up to date articles that are just a few hours old, and then this Quartz hit piece that has been at the top every single day, despite being 11 days old? Is it just maybe a cookie that got set for me, or is it like this for everyone?

View attachment 344052

Sponsored by...?

N of one and all that, but....

The key justification for me to spend over $72,000 total for our M3 was the safety factor for an 82 year old driver. We're not the RV type.

I'm greatly disappointed in the ride, however, but understand why that is so. This is a sports sedan, and our other car is a 2001 Lexus LS430 which is a bit quieter and much smoother ride (even though not air suspension which I wanted for the M3 but not yet available). The Lexus handles and drives well despite some compromises for comfort. Even though I'm not a particularly race-track type, despite a harsh bump on our poor local streets, the car's steering is far superior to the Lexus and I noticed driving from Rocklin pickup store to home (the first 30 or so miles) how adroitly I could move the car around slower moving vehicles, and cut ahead of them with ease—another potential safety factor for the aged. You get the feeling this beast has all four feet firmly planted on the pavement and ready to move anywhere with "the guickness" and precision.

Not at all regretting the purchase. My wife wants to keep the Lexus; I don't. We'll soon have to visit progeny in Santa Rosa when I will have enough courage to try autopilot. The review of V9 by the AI guy is a mindblower. Really look forward to installation of the new chip to handle such greater input, split screens, etc.
The great thing is whether 72k or 35k the safety rating will be the same thus a significant selling point for all option ranges.

I really think the 35k version is going to be big sales. It is smart for Tesla to really focus on customer and auto service capacity for this big surge I feel.

ED: Did "Mike" also just basically admit to sockpuppeting with "Priigoat"? Hey, "Mike", you were logged into the wrong account when you responded to the response to your post. ;)

This bears investigation. I'd be interested in seeing a source IP address comparison for these two posts... both from Switzerland as it turnds out...

Last edited:
“Satellites with phased array antennas are sort of the communications jacks of all trades, capable of offering high-bandwidth connectivity to stationary user terminals, large ground stations, and moving vehicles simultaneously from with the same antenna array.”

SpaceX board member says Starlink prototype satellites "are working wonderfully"

Does anyone have an estimate for Spacex internet services value add to vehicle, storage, and solar products?

As a benefit of Spacex relationship with Tesla, it appears to me not many have really been able to value effectively this internet service to Tesla motors and energy.

Any suggestions for insight?

Musk has downplayed Starlink's applicability to Tesla vehicles. Sounds like he doesn't like the idea of adding a pizza box-sized antenna in the cars (also, not sure what their power requirements are, but surely far more than GSM due to the far greater distances that signals need to propagate).

I’m thinking internet service with solar+storage products— package deal.

The network could also improve local, regional, and national weather estimates as well.

As more neighborhoods become solar+storage, that network information can provide energy capacity information for aggregation services as well as market signals of energy value for sales between neighbors and regions that require it. A whole new way to buy and sell energy, essentially an evolved economy.

Some significant real-time applications that may extend Tesla market advantage

I would not expect any direct integration into the vehicle any time soon, for three main reasons.

1) packaging is a bit annoying. It's technically doable, but to do so without either ugly protrusions or filling the roof glass with electronics, you'd have to put it in the hood most likely, which means using RF transparent skin on the hood, which makes the hood more expensive. You'd lose a little bit of interior volume of the frunk but that loss won't be much of an issue itself.

2) The system is not expected to be operational for several years yet, so there's not much point in building it into cars now, especially since the user terminal hardware may not yet be finalized.

3) It would only really be useful outside of cities or in the middle of nowhere (due to sky occlusion issues with buildings and also population density and the limitations on the number of user terminals that can be served in one area), so they'd still need LTE (or whatever cellular standard) most of the time, Starlink can't replace the LTE service.

Instead, where I think there might be likely usage:

a) Free Wifi at Superchargers for Tesla owners via Starlink, with "unlimited" bandwidth (there would be limits, but you'd be able to stream a couple of HD/UHD streams to either the car or your personal device probably)

b) Remote monitoring of Superchargers via same Starlink connection as a) (as in the past there were reports that some Superchargers were down after hurricanes but in fact were operational, it was just all the internet service was out so they were "down" from the perspective of Tesla HQ)

c) Remote monitoring of utility scale powerpack installations (for same reasons as b), though not for powerwall and smaller building scale powerpack installations (for same reasons as 3)

As for internet service itself, they will certainly offer it in more population dense areas (versus not at all) but it won't be a free-for-all. I'm not sure how they'll decide who gets service but there is an upper limit and they may simply price it high enough to prevent overcrowding. In more rural areas, I expect the service to be reasonably priced (possibly lower than incumbents, almost certainly lower than incumbents in a price per performance comparison). Service might be free or nearly so to 3rd world communities.

Foghat's idea of bundling service with TE products isn't a terrible idea but ideally enough TE customers should be in a given area that they can't all be serviced by Starlink ;)

Macros down (except gold :p), TSLA up .4% :)

tsla.png

N of one and all that, but....

The key justification for me to spend over $72,000 total for our M3 was the safety factor for an 82 year old driver. We're not the RV type.

I'm greatly disappointed in the ride, however, but understand why that is so. This is a sports sedan, and our other car is a 2001 Lexus LS430 which is a bit quieter and much smoother ride (even though not air suspension which I wanted for the M3 but not yet available). The Lexus handles and drives well despite some compromises for comfort. Even though I'm not a particularly race-track type, despite a harsh bump on our poor local streets, the car's steering is far superior to the Lexus and I noticed driving from Rocklin pickup store to home (the first 30 or so miles) how adroitly I could move the car around slower moving vehicles, and cut ahead of them with ease—another potential safety factor for the aged. You get the feeling this beast has all four feet firmly planted on the pavement and ready to move anywhere with "the guickness" and precision.

Not at all regretting the purchase. My wife wants to keep the Lexus; I don't. We'll soon have to visit progeny in Santa Rosa when I will have enough courage to try autopilot. The review of V9 by the AI guy is a mindblower. Really look forward to installation of the new chip to handle such greater input, split screens, etc.

You might find relief in the aftermarket. IIRC Mountain Pass Performance has a coilover kit that claims to have a smoother ride and greater suspension travel despite lowering the vehicle a tad. I'm sure others will come along shortly with purely comfort minded upgrades. At the rate Model 3's are selling there will shortly be a very sizable aftermarket.

That or, as KarenRei suggested, trade up for an air suspension model when it arrives (if it arrives).

Continuing to dig my way through the poo, I found this. Tesla Hikes Powerwall Prices to Better Reflect ‘Value’ While not personally happy about the prices going up as I position myself to afford a Tesla solar roof, I am impressed after reading the wired ability of the PowerWall to fill to full capacity pending land fall of a storm. Very cool.

Yes, government support of all things solar is waning since the political wisdom (lost their wisdom teeth too early in life) has assumed we are all doomed. Unlike the pyramid thinking, I am focused on that which I can control ~ solar roof with batteries. I can enjoy being off the grid, and not paying a utility bill:) B4 I kick the bucket:)

Status
Not open for further replies.