Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well..... Hmmmm... Then who bought the 30 million shares the shorts sold??
The 170 million longs already own "their" shares, so.....~somebody~ must have bought the shares sold short...

?????
If you own a house and rent that house out a new house wasn't created.

It is still the same house you have just exchanged certain rights associated with it for money.

To play devil’s advocate here a bit, I actually was informed of a mistake via a disagree yesterday. I made a mistake in thinking a previous post was a mistake(that original post was a correction, so this was a correction to a correction to a correction; correctionception) and someone marked it as disagree. My outcome to that was “Oh, you’re right, I was right before and wrong here”.
I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong.

* apologies to the billions who have seen this joke before

Okayyyyyy, but your example makes no sense...

With a short sale, a new share ~is~ created..... It's temporary, I give you that, but, it's created...
And it has both a seller and a buyer...
A share was rented with the right to sell it. It was sold. The person who rented it is obligated to buy a share in the future and return it to the origional owner. But no new share was created.

Only the obligation of the short seller to buy a share in the future and return it was created.

Tesla will only recognize the 170 million shares for share holder votes and to pay dividends to (if tesla were to pay dividends). For dividends it would be the short seller's responsibility to pay those to whom they rented the stock from.

Okayyyyyy, but your example makes no sense...

With a short sale, a new share ~is~ created..... It's temporary, I give you that, but, it's created...
And it has both a seller and a buyer...

Let me ask you a question..
When someone buys a stock, does the buyer know if the seller is someone who owns the stock, or if the seller is a short seller who just created (by borrowing) that share??
And how ~would~ they know?

hint: It could be either.....you'd never know...
Nobody should be replying to you, because you are a paid astroturfer. I've seen you types so very many times before.

Shorts DO NOT create shares, legally. That's naked shorting and it is ~supposed~ to be heavily restricted.

Nobody should be replying to you, because you are a paid astroturfer. I've seen you types so very many times before.

Shorts DO NOT create shares, legally. That's naked shorting and it is ~supposed~ to be heavily restricted.
Virtual or counterfeit shares get created with a naked short sell followed by a fail to deliver event.

There may be legitimate reasons for these but if they happen frequently and for long time periods or are done to influence the price of the stock they can cross over into being a crime.

Wow, a short who doesn't even understand shorting? I knew they were mindless zombies.
HE'S not short anything. His masters are. He is just paid to get forums like this one off topic and obsessed over contrived trivialities

Mod: Banned already. Thanks for providing reasons, I had my own earlier. But stop now. I really must for health get on another treadmill for exercise.

I'm deleting as appropriate while working through your prolific outpouring.

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of paint shop, apples to oranges again: Tesla uses robotic arm powder coating with several complex layers of paint
Are you sure about "powder coating"? That's a specific process using a sprayed powder which is then baked to melt and form a coating. From what I've seen it looks as if Tesla is spraying liquid paint layers, probably two part cured urethanes.

But "longs" have no bearing on the price as well....??
Organizations that hold MILLIONS of shares don't have some control of the price?
Allll righty then.....

And seriously....if shorts can "control the price".......how could they possibly lose money?
WHY would they let themselves lose money?
Do they just decree, "I'm going to make money on my shorts", and Mr. Market just says, "Oh, okay", and just gives me money??

It doesn't really work like that..... I wish it did......but it doesn't....

Most of the longs bought their shares years ago and never touched them since -- hence the name "longs".
Shares we purchased years ago have absolutely no influence whatsoever to recent stock price movements.
On the other hand, the 60%-75% of the daily traded volume by shorts has a direct and strong influence.
Thats the statistics you see reported by Papafox every day, and it practically never goes below 50%, mostly above 60%.
So yes, indeed, the shorts have bigger influence than the longs since they do most of the trades.
Pretty obvious logic 101, unless you bury your head in the sand and point to irrelevant numbers sitting in accounts for years.

Full ACK and agree on this! ....and what about India in a good decade or so later?
Difficult to predict with India. The party in power stirs the pot of social unrest and plays Hindus against Muslims to gain political power - much like Trump. Where that will lead is difficult to tell. They could lose power and India will be back to good growth rates or descend into chaos.

BTW, in the last few years, since Modi came to power, inequality in India has gone up, ranked now 147 out of 157.

I was reading some negative comments on Fox News a couple of days ago in the comment section of a piece about the $45k M3. I was so shocked to read, "Don't these stupid liberals know that they will never recoup their money on these crappy electric cars? They could have just bought an Accord or Camry and saved $20k."

I didn't even respond. All I could think is, "man, it must be BAD to be THAT stupid and THAT far behind the times."

It's hard to believe there are morons in America that think the reason people are buying Teslas is for saving money on gas.

And as a footnote, of the 20 or 30 Tesla owners I have met, the vast majority have been moderates or conservatives (yes, I ask - typically I start out with, "did you buy your Tesla for the environment", and the conversation goes from there).

When will people get that the reason people buy a Tesla has little or no political bearing? It's just a BETTER car!!

(Emphasis mine.)

Well... I actually disagree? There are a lot of gradations between
-- full, totally functional democracy with very strong rule of law, like Switzerland
-- absolute, practically lawless dictatorship like Saudi Arabia

China is one of many, many countries which is somewhere in between.

Frankly, so is the US.

There are various "democracy rankings". The Economist did one in 2010; Saudi Arabia was at rank 160, 7th from the *bottom*, keeping company with Equitorial Guinea, the Central African Republic, Myanmar (which is committing multiple genocides), Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Chad, and North Korea. China was up at rank 136, near Azerbaijan, Egypt, and Vietnam because it has a political culture and political participation.

The important point for this purpose is that China has an extremely strong, and very old, legal tradition. Despite one-party rule, people can get absolutely furious, and fight in court a lot, if property is taken without proper procedure and compensation, or if laws on the books are not enforced (as was happening with the environmental laws until recently). A lot of the fight for human rights in China is done by lawyers fighting to enforce laws already on the books. And judges *do* rule against the Chinese government.

Saudi Arabia officially doesn't *have* laws on the books. They claim that the Koran is the Constitution and use Sharia for most rulings, supplemented by royal decree. This wouldn't be so bad if they used any of the traditional Islamic systems of jurisprudence (which ended up being quite a lot like English common law in many ways). But they don't. Because the extremist Wahhabis have controlled the legal system in Saudi Arabia since day one, they have ended up with a system where the judges are not bound by precedent or text or legal tradition, and simply act as agents of either the Wahhabis or the king.

Given this, which country is safer to make a business deal with?

A battery deal would be OK. Saudi history treatment of workers is worse than China (workers actually do have substantial rights in China -- and generally no rights at *all* in Saudi Arabia), so I'd be uncomfortable with a factory.
Ok fair points. "A dictatorship is a dictatorship" was probably an over simplification. I am also not a China expert so I'll take your word for how it works there. But I must admit I am a bit skeptical on judiciary oversight over the government. I was a little kid (10) when communism ended here, plus the dictatorship was much lighter in the 80s already. We even had some comedians who were allowed to lightly poke fun at the state and trials were no longer starting with the verdict ready to be signed. Still, everyone knew they can only go so far, or else...

Sorry for the weekend OT:
Chooose is a climate action platform that battles the core problem of climate change - emissions from big polluters.

Companies that pollute buy carbon credits equivalent to the tons of CO2 they release into the atmosphere.

Chooose also buys carbon credits. But instead of polluting, we tear them up and remove them from circulation completely. The money paid for carbon credits goes to UN-certified clean energy projects in developing countries.
Now, I have some questions:
  • what do you think about it? is is a feasible strategy?
  • I often wonder, in my absolute ignorance, if Tesla could do more with the CARB credits it possess. Elon always said they are receiving pennies on the dollar, and they are going to earn *a lot* of them in the coming months. Do you think it could try to destroy some of them to make it more difficult ot other manufacturers?Is it possible to starve the market?

@Smokey4141 is not wrong about virtual (or other term) shares.

Say I have 1000 shares, and my brokerage lends half of them out and someone else buys those shorted shares. As far as I know I have 1000 shares and as far as they know they have 500 shares. Total 1,500 shares. That is why shorts are on the hook for dividends (assuming the company/stock has them), I should be getting dividends on the stock I own but currently don't possess.

With 30 million shares shorted, and 170 million shares issued, there is a total of 200 million shares people think they have. However, there are still only 170 million voteable shares, thus the need for a share recall before a major shareholder vote.

HE'S not short anything. His masters are. He is just paid to get forums like this one off topic and obsessed over contrived trivialities

I have no idea how you'd think you know that.....but throw it out there anyway...
And...ummm, the only "Master" paying me is Ms. Market....
$3.91 / share on Friday alone...
You're killing me, guys...

Just trying to point out that there is "another" side to a market, and in particular the TSLA market.....but I can see many of you are having no part of it... All I can say is, there will be a time in markets ahead, where you're going to say, "Geez, this is crazy... The only way I can make any money in the market is to be short..."
But clearly, that's gonna be a hard transition for many to make......and you don't want to be the last one to make the transition...

Central banks have artificially skewed the "risk" part of the equation severely the last 10 years, and times are-a-changing...

Good luck...

Are you sure about "powder coating"? That's a specific process using a sprayed powder which is then baked to melt and form a coating. From what I've seen it looks as if Tesla is spraying liquid paint layers, probably two part cured urethanes.

I'm pretty certain they are using powder coat painting, this old article says:

The Tesla Factory: Birthplace of the Model S

The Model S paint process will differ from traditional paint in an effort to reduce emissions. The innovative paint process will use powder coating for both the primer and clear coat layers. The Model S will be one of the first cars to employ not one, but two layers of powder coating. Traditional liquid paints contain harmful VOCs. By using powder paint, we will substantially reduce factory emissions while producing class-leading paint quality. To paint, the car will be attached to an electricity source and grounded. The positively-charged paint will be sprayed with paint guns. The charged particles are electrostatically attracted to the car and spread evenly. Once applied, the car travels on a conveyor belt through a 350 degree oven to cure the paint. Between the primer and clear powder coats, the color layer will be applied. After the three paint layers are applied, the car will be wet sanded to ensure a flawless surface.​

8 years old article but I think it's true for both the S, X and 3.

Powder coat painting has a number of advantages over wet painting:
  • paint solvents are dangerous - no volatile solvents with powder at all
  • excess powder can simply be vacuumed away
  • waste paint when switching color batches is minimal
  • the electrostatic charge makes sure there's neither overspray nor underspay
  • transportation and storage of powder is easier
  • the result is superior due to uniform layer width and high quality curing

Status
Not open for further replies.