Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching PBS last night and wondering why not a Tesla story? So I had this idea...

I wonder how many people here would be willing to help create a story for them, and then even donate to become members? It would be like the "customer helping with sales" which brought tears to my eyes in the CC along with Elon. I'm choking up again...

Was it PBS that turned you off? I was referring to the New Hour to create/fund a story created by Tesla customers. Suggesting as a different Channel than the usual EV Channels where readers already know about all this.

People have complained (here too) that Tesla needs PR, and they are counting on word of mouth. An effort like this created by the customer as a grass roots effort would seriously help I think. I'd easily throw in a couple hundred as part of this effort. I'll call PBS right now.

Anyone?

Oh, *that* guy. Have stumbled across him on Twitter a few times, he used to lurk around MS and MBS (as in M BS Spiegel, not that Saudi bloke), lapping up all the BS and squirting it back out the other end.

I didn't realise he actually shorted, thought he was just a troll, I mean the crap he spouted you would never attribute to someone with a brain, never mind any money to "invest"
yeah, "that guy" Paulo S has written 1,577 clik bait articles, where he gets paid for every click plus abase amount. nice way to earn free coin, churn out 'stuff'

I feel shorts have lost their confidence. I saw some very determined long term shorts getting out and said they will not short Tesla any more. I think these guys represent a lot of shorts. Once they start to cover, more will be forced to cover. I can't imagine how they can get shares to cover.

It's obvious TSLA will join S&P index next year. By then even if shorts don't buy, just the passive funds can drive TSLA to a lot higher.

That's sort of interesting. As it stands, Tesla does basically ZERO marketing or advertising, relying solely on owners and showrooms for building awareness and interest. It would be interesting if internally at TESLA they had moved to some types of product placement, in shows, movies, etc., in some fashion. ti's usually a more complementary form of advertising, not in lieu of usually, but it would be interesting is somewhere internally they had decided to put product placement in the mix for a start.
"product placement" is a form of paid advertising, and Elon has explicitly said that they don't and won't (for the time being) do it. That doesn't mean that the producers don't want a S3XY car in their program.

Ok, how about a commercial funded by Customers? ~$300K for a slot on Big Bang. Get Hollywood to match, then watch it re-run on every news station as the real story and then watch it again and again. $300 each x 500 people = $150K? Do you realize how many people would sponsor this to help save the planet? I bet Micheal Moore would eat it up! "Paid for by the Customers" in bold at the end.

Hello, anybody out there? Maybe wrong crowd...

From the Tesla 2018 Q3 Earnings Call:

Dan Galves -- Wolfe Research -- Analyst

My question is about cell supply. There's been some noise about tight cell supply in Sparks and tight labor supply, like in a short-term could you just talk about whether demand is outpacing supply of battery cells.

Jeffrey B. Straubel -- Chief Technology Officer

"...And also the Panasonic supply is expanding. The productivity of existing lines is continuing to improve, with a lot of hard work from the engineering teams and just operational stability. And we continue to bring online new production lines. So even just in the last several weeks, we've started off yet another cell production line with Panasonic. And through the end of the year, there's another line coming on and then one shortly after that. So there's a steady increase in the total supply that should keep us ahead of even Model 3 growth and also should let us have a larger percentage of energy supply be sourced from Giga locally."

It was 5 years ago, April of 2013. I was watching AAPL with intense interest: it dropped from $703 to below $390 in 6 months. I bought a lot of LEAPs at the bottom when it went below $390. My theory was that AAPL had very limited down side, cash on hand plus 2~3 years earning would be more than the market cap. So essentially getting the company for free (this is the simplified view, it's actually more complicated than that). And I knew that tech stocks can fluctuate a lot, once I recognize the bottom, the upside is at least 100%.

AAPL briefly touched $384, then rallied to $910 in 2 years. Now it's at $1540 (take out 7:1 split effect). Plus dividend.

The lesson I learned is that if I can recognize the bottom of a good company, the upside can be quite large.

Tesla has limited downside, significant upside.
Thank you THANK YOU for taking me back to my unhappy place.

When I was twelve, I helped my daddy build a bomb shelter in our basement - wait wrong story.

Back in 1997, I bought 25K worth of apple at 30 CENTS (SA). I sold it in the next few years and paid for graduate school. On my trading wall I have a post-it that reads - "DON'T SELL THE NEXT APPLE EARLY".

I stopped doing that math about 20 million ago.

I paid the entire tax due on my model S when I registered my car - in Colorado. Where do most buyers pay the tax on the car?
Sales tax in CA is due at delivery if you intend to drive the car within the state. So a fly-in for delivery option may not be a very good idea. Some states will give you credit for sales tax paid in another state when you go to register the car in your home state. Some will charge you tax again. But if you live in a sales tax free state like Montana, you are SOL.

You can always hire your own transporter/carrier to ship the car home for you after you take delivery at the factory. As long as you do not get behind the wheel no tax is due. But you will still pay Tesla the $1,200 dest and delivery fee.

• Informative
Reactions: Lucky_Man
Karen, Even if Fremont ships BiW's to China to finish assembly, isn't there a parts tariff in place? I don't think Tesla could achieve much in savings if all of the major parts to complete the cars are shipped in from the U.S. It would make more sense to build another GA line in a tent at Fremont and ship those LR cars to Europe ahead of any China builds.
The majority of the value add happens at final assembly, so kitting would be an option. Tesla is MUCH better positioned to do metal, paint and third party supplier assembly in China and then final assembly in China.

For ALL these final delivery locations, Europe, Asia, China keep in mind that in market final price is something to significantly HIGHER than USA domestic pricing. That's just where retail pricing in other markets sits. If Tesla could waive a magic wand and all of a sudden build and DELIVER Model 3 in Europe (independent of shipping costs from Fremont) they would push margins probably 20% (percentage not nominal terms) above delivering from Fremont.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
The majority of the value add happens at final assembly, so kitting would be an option. Tesla is MUCH better positioned to do metal, paint and third party assembly in China and then final assembly in China.

For ALL these final delivery locations, Europe, Asia, China keep in mind that in market final price is something to significantly HIGHER than USA domestic pricing. That's just where retail pricing in other markets sits. If Tesla could waive a magic wand and all of a sudden build and DELIVER Model 3 in Europe (independent of shipping costs from Fremont) they would push margins probably 20% (percentage not nominal terms) above delivering from Fremont.

I though Tesla charges the same base price, with the difference being currency, taxes, tariffs, and shipping.

IMO, I think you don't see the $TSLA rocket take off for at least another qtr. Bears and shorts still need to wrestle with the cognitive dissonance and will need to decide if they like money better or being right better. In the interim, we'll see more financial FUD trying to paint Q3 like a one off--like this gem that showed up in my news feed:
upload_2018-10-25_12-14-23.png

I think you see a long slow bumpy rise in SP over the next qtr as folks are forced to do their homework and reconsider their positions, so I'd expect some "buy" ratings to start trickling out. One maybe two more qtrs like this should fully demolish the bear/short theses and then I think you have lift-off. If I were to bet, I'd say two more qtrs. Three solid qtrs in a row is hard to ignore, the $920M in debt due in March should be paid and you should have the hype of the Model Y reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.