Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that is just a CGI image of an electric SUV.

MVIMG_20181127_115644-e1543348982207.jpg

Top White House economic advisor Larry Kudlow says the Trump administration is looking into "certain subsidies regarding electric cars" after GM announced layoffs and plant closures cbsnews.com/news/gm-layoff…

So what, they want to punish GM by removing the EV subsidy - amusing considering they make ****-all EV's anyway, or are they wanting to handicap Tesla by removing it for all EV's?

One design challenge for BEVs is the front, that doesn't need a full sized air in take.

I think having a strip of lights (and sensors?) extending all the way across the front of the vehicle is a very nice way to deal with that.
I think it's a luxury to have all that additional space to be creative with.... you can use it as a insulated frunk for ice/beer during camping trips... or have multi-purpose utility... w/ a big SUV/truck, you can have a dog-seat...you can deck it out with lights like you suggested.... opportunities are endless.

edit: thought of another.... build-out full leg extension option for camping trips, so you have 2 additional places to sleep.. like an airplane (business class).

How many electric cars are built by BMW, Daimler and VW?
-by German Handelsblatt
(Google translate made an error, so this side is german only. Full translation is in the Spoiler window at the end of this post)

"Conclusion:
Tesla builds twice as many electric cars as BMW, Daimler and VW together
Other German manufacturers have also announced major investments in electric cars. This also appears to be urgently necessary. Because after my survey tour through the German car industry it is clear: Tesla has driven away the German brands. The US manufacturer currently produces more than three times as many electric vehicles as the German manufacturers together."

HERE is the full translation:

Tesla now builds around 7,000 electric cars per week. How many do the German manufacturers manage? We have asked BMW, Daimler, VW and Co. a single question - and put many a speaker in need of an explanation.

How difficult can it be to answer a question? On its website, the Volkswagen automotive group names more than 30 contacts for journalists for the VW brand alone. One of them is enough for me, but my inquiry should demand some patience from me. I only want one piece of information: How many electric cars does VW produce in a week?

Tesla builds 7000 electric cars per week. How much is that?
Exactly with this question another manufacturer had big problems for a long time: Tesla. The young US manufacturer only builds electric cars. Customers all over the world have ordered hundreds of thousands of Model 3 cars and even paid for a small part of them - but the company simply can't keep up with production.

Tesla boss Elon Musk had set himself the goal of building 5,000 Model 3s per week - and for a long time he was unable to do so. Last summer, his team finally managed to crack this brand. Together with other models, Tesla now has around 7,000 vehicles in seven days.

Ford manager made fun of Tesla boss Elon Musk
Managers of traditional car manufacturers such as Ford made fun of it in the summer. His team managed 7,000 cars in four hours, twittered Ford European boss Steven Armstrong - but not electric cars, but mainly gasoline cars.

7000 cars, about 4 hours. Ford Team

Former Volkswagen boss Matthias Müller also teased Tesla a good year ago:

The breakthrough of new technologies does not come with the announcement of the world champions. It comes with those who can put a new technology on the road for mass production and in relevant quantities.

In the meantime, Volkswagen has announced an electric offensive - for the future. But I want to know what the current situation is like. How many electric cars can German carmakers produce in a week?

BMW builds 800 electric cars per week
I start the morning with a call to BMW. The woman on the phone asks me to send my question by e-mail. This is what almost all large companies in Germany do now: Just don't say anything on the phone. Based on my previous experience, I'm afraid I'll have to wait a long time for an answer.

BMW i3: The electric car has a range of about 260 kilometers.

But BMW is relatively fast, I already receive information and figures at noon: The company currently only produces a pure electric car model, the i3. It costs around 38,000 euros. The BMW plant in Leipzig produces around 180 units per day. Every eight minutes, a new i3 rolls off the assembly line. With five working days, this means: 900 electric cars per week.

How many electric cars does Daimler build per week?
Next stop: Daimler. Here, too, I request the information by e-mail. The company behind brands such as Mercedes Benz and Smart, however, does not want to disclose any production figures "for competitive reasons". The Mercedes website tells me that the brand with the star will launch the first purely electric car (name: EQC) on the market in 2019. For now, the answer to my question is: no answer.

I'm calling Porsche. The sports car manufacturer belongs to the Volkswagen Group and has announced a veritable electric offensive. Porsche's first all-electric car will be called Taycan and will cost around 100,000 euros. However, the model is currently still in test operation. It is not expected to be launched on the market until 2019. Here, too, it is still valid at the moment: 0 electric cars per week.

VW builds 1000 electric cars per week
Four days have passed since my enquiry to Volkswagen. My e-mail remained unanswered, on the phone I was always put off. I write a second e-mail and finally receive an answer: "The Volkswagen brand builds around 1,000 electric cars of the e-Golf and e-Up models per week. 1,000 cars - VW builds more electric cars than any other German brand I've asked for.

And that's just the beginning: over the next five years, Volkswagen intends to radically restructure its production. The plants in Emden and Hanover are to be converted for the production of electric cars, and in Eastern Europe the Group also plans to build a completely new factory. VW plans to spend around 44 billion euros on all of this. In figures: 44,000,000,000 euros!

Conclusion:
Other German manufacturers have also announced major investments in electric cars. This also appears to be urgently necessary. Because after my survey tour through the German car industry it is clear: Tesla has driven away the German brands. The US manufacturer currently produces more than three times as many electric vehicles as the German manufacturer.

Needs different headlight treatment.

And I'd be interested in the Cd and CdA numbers for that thing...

You see, as a European, that thing gives me reflux, this love of massive, boxy SUV's & pickups is very much an American thing.

However, when I compare it with this style of vehicle, it looks like it would do well.

In the US... Not here...

Reactions: Thumper
Needs different headlight treatment.

And I'd be interested in the Cd and CdA numbers for that thing...

The headlight treatment is just fine.

It is brand defining not aping established players. People will hate it at first but be ok with it by Job1 and then will love it 10 years from now. Assuming Rivian survives that long.

As long as it gets its claimed ~230, ~300, and ~400 miles of EPA range I am ok sacrificing some Cd,CdA, and MPGe.

There will be plenty of electric crossovers for those that prefer crossovers.

R1S will be superior environmentally than Tahoe,Expedition, Escalade, Range Rover et al by a large margin.

Last edited:
I believe that Elon and JB were commenting on one of the recent earnings calls that the Y is designed for significantly higher automation. They hadn't appreciated fully how difficult it is to design for automation with the 3 - the famous example with cabling that needs to be connected, and let's not forget Flufferbot, gone too soon - and so from that perspective many internal components may be redesigned or replaced for automation.

Also, I remember something about the total length of cabling in the Y being one order of magnitude shorter than in the 3 (may have gotten that multiplication factor wrong, not sure). There was also the patent for those cables that would retain their 3D position when moved/bent such as to be easily manipulated by automated arms. It is expected those would be implemented in the Y.

I'm sure they will try to retain as much overlap between the production processes in the 3 and Y as possible, but I also think they will sacrifice that if it helps automation. Dreadnought FTW!

Everything you say is true. It will *still* be much easier to produce the Y than the 3. Imagine two prototyping workshops, shop A with access to every model 3 part and shop B with no such access. Ready set go, make a Y.

If shop A did it in 10 days, shop B would need 100 or more - B would need to start by designing and hand making battery pack and motor. It's chalk and cheese. Blazing trails is seriously hard. Evolution, even radical evolution, much easier.

Nice if they can overcome production hell without going belly up
Given their battery capacities I wonder where they going to come up with cells. Unless they only produce a handful they are going to be begging with the others for their quota of cells. But I don't see how they can make enough units to be relevant without paying through the nose.

How to tell that VW/GM/whoever has gotten serious: they start building a battery plant.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
How many electric cars are built by BMW, Daimler and VW?
-by German Handelsblatt
(Google translate made an error, so this side is german only. Full translation is in the Spoiler window at the end of this post)

"Conclusion:
Other German manufacturers have also announced major investments in electric cars. This also appears to be urgently necessary. Because after my survey tour through the German car industry it is clear: Tesla has driven away the German brands. The US manufacturer currently produces more than three times as many electric vehicles as the German manufacturers together."

HERE is the full translation:

Tesla now builds around 7,000 electric cars per week. How many do the German manufacturers manage? We have asked BMW, Daimler, VW and Co. a single question - and put many a speaker in need of an explanation.

How difficult can it be to answer a question? On its website, the Volkswagen automotive group names more than 30 contacts for journalists for the VW brand alone. One of them is enough for me, but my inquiry should demand some patience from me. I only want one piece of information: How many electric cars does VW produce in a week?

Tesla builds 7000 electric cars per week. How much is that?
Exactly with this question another manufacturer had big problems for a long time: Tesla. The young US manufacturer only builds electric cars. Customers all over the world have ordered hundreds of thousands of Model 3 cars and even paid for a small part of them - but the company simply can't keep up with production.

Tesla boss Elon Musk had set himself the goal of building 5,000 Model 3s per week - and for a long time he was unable to do so. Last summer, his team finally managed to crack this brand. Together with other models, Tesla now has around 7,000 vehicles in seven days.

Ford manager made fun of Tesla boss Elon Musk
Managers of traditional car manufacturers such as Ford made fun of it in the summer. His team managed 7,000 cars in four hours, twittered Ford European boss Steven Armstrong - but not electric cars, but mainly gasoline cars.

7000 cars, about 4 hours. Ford Team

Former Volkswagen boss Matthias Müller also teased Tesla a good year ago:

The breakthrough of new technologies does not come with the announcement of the world champions. It comes with those who can put a new technology on the road for mass production and in relevant quantities.

In the meantime, Volkswagen has announced an electric offensive - for the future. But I want to know what the current situation is like. How many electric cars can German carmakers produce in a week?

BMW builds 800 electric cars per week
I start the morning with a call to BMW. The woman on the phone asks me to send my question by e-mail. This is what almost all large companies in Germany do now: Just don't say anything on the phone. Based on my previous experience, I'm afraid I'll have to wait a long time for an answer.

BMW i3: The electric car has a range of about 260 kilometers.

But BMW is relatively fast, I already receive information and figures at noon: The company currently only produces a pure electric car model, the i3. It costs around 38,000 euros. The BMW plant in Leipzig produces around 180 units per day. Every eight minutes, a new i3 rolls off the assembly line. With five working days, this means: 900 electric cars per week.

How many electric cars does Daimler build per week?
Next stop: Daimler. Here, too, I request the information by e-mail. The company behind brands such as Mercedes Benz and Smart, however, does not want to disclose any production figures "for competitive reasons". The Mercedes website tells me that the brand with the star will launch the first purely electric car (name: EQC) on the market in 2019. For now, the answer to my question is: no answer.

I'm calling Porsche. The sports car manufacturer belongs to the Volkswagen Group and has announced a veritable electric offensive. Porsche's first all-electric car will be called Taycan and will cost around 100,000 euros. However, the model is currently still in test operation. It is not expected to be launched on the market until 2019. Here, too, it is still valid at the moment: 0 electric cars per week.

VW builds 1000 electric cars per week
Four days have passed since my enquiry to Volkswagen. My e-mail remained unanswered, on the phone I was always put off. I write a second e-mail and finally receive an answer: "The Volkswagen brand builds around 1,000 electric cars of the e-Golf and e-Up models per week. 1,000 cars - VW builds more electric cars than any other German brand I've asked for.

And that's just the beginning: over the next five years, Volkswagen intends to radically restructure its production. The plants in Emden and Hanover are to be converted for the production of electric cars, and in Eastern Europe the Group also plans to build a completely new factory. VW plans to spend around 44 billion euros on all of this. In figures: 44,000,000,000 euros!

Conclusion:
Other German manufacturers have also announced major investments in electric cars. This also appears to be urgently necessary. Because after my survey tour through the German car industry it is clear: Tesla has driven away the German brands. The US manufacturer currently produces more than three times as many electric vehicles as the German manufacturer.

Already posted but thanks for the full translation.

A German Journalist was wondering:

"if Tesla produces 7000 cars/week how many EVs do German manufacturer BMW, Daimler and VW ect produce today?"

Its been a simple and straight forward question and this is what he got as a reply

BMW: 800
Daimler: 0
Opel: 0
Porsche: 0
VW: 1000

Vergleich mit Tesla: Wie viele Elektroautos bauen BMW, Daimler, Opel und VW?

• Informative
Reactions: CatB
I'm sure they will not have any trouble selling these, demand will be way bigger than what Rivian-R1S + Tesla-X can satisfy.
The big question is supply! How many are they planning to produce per year, and how fast can they ramp ?

Job1 for the pickup is late 2020.

They plan on making 20k pickups in 2021 and 50k vehicles in 2022, whatever SUV/pickup mix the market desires.

They are going to need a lot of batteries. Supposedly the Koreans( LG Chem which announced a 70 GWh GF in Europe not long ago, Samsung SDI,and SSK Innovations) is getting serious.

Job1 for the pickup is late 2020.

They plan on making 20k pickups in 2021 and 50k vehicles in 2022, whatever SUV/pickup mix the market desires.

They are going to need a lot of batteries. Supposedly the Koreans( LG Chem which announced a 70 GWh GF in Europe not long ago, Samsung SDI,and SSK Innovations is getting serious.)

Yeah, LG seems to be intent on locking up the non-Tesla market. The problem for their buyers is dependence on that sole source. The 1970s and oil and the middle east...

Status
Not open for further replies.