Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Technical Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thesis for Tuesday. 9/18/2018 quick and dirty
minute by minute of Vol and price.
1) if next minute price lower, subtract vol, if next minute higher add vol
2) 11:43 am anomaly of 853,709 sold
as of 4pm, (385 data points) shorts still have ~300,000 left to cover
https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/tsla/interactive-chart?timeframe=5d
upload_2018-9-19_13-59-29.png
of

upload_2018-9-19_13-57-55.png

• Informative
Reactions: Xenius and gora321
$294?? That seems very very unlikely.

I disagree with Snypers view that the monthly chard will look very ugly if we are below $ 294. First of all we are already below, secondly there is a support at about $250 that has been tested 3 times successfully since we entered the channel and third there is the 200 MA as well as lower Bollinger Band support and a long term trend support as well. The 200 MA is since 10 years (!) a solid support and never has been crossed for a longer period. In fact it has been a strong buy signal indicator in the past if we touched it.

Fundamentally the stock has never been better positioned than today combine that with the monthly chard and make your bet.

For me its more likely that we stay in the range 250 - 290 for a while until the market does realize that they again overreacted and that the stock is damm cheap given the fundamentals. In that respect it will be interesting to watch how the Q3 numbers influence. Actually I don't have a clue what will happen Tuesday so that will be interesting to watch. We have a weekend for everybody to digest what happened yesterday and next Monday the world may look already different.

If we go under $ 250 and stay there that would be rather concerning in the chard but again the fundamentals tell us that this stock is undervalued by a larger margin therefore short term news buzz including law suits won't keep investors who do the math from buying.

In a worst case scenario that I don't see coming and Elon has to leave forever I would need to reconsider my strategy.

Tesla M-5.png

Technical analyst Tim Ord was my regular guest on our TV show. This is what he wrote after today's market close regarding the S&P 500 ETF (SPX).

For Long term monitoring purposes: Long SPX on 10-19-18 at 2767.78.

The 10 day Total Put/Call ratio reached long term bullish levels where SPX gained near 5% and higher. Short term SPX still can test it lows near 2710 range and if that does turn out to be the case we will add our regular long SPX position. The trin closed yesterday at 1.30 and the tick closed today at -259 which is a bullish combination that have lead to short term lows within three days which would suggests a low by next Wednesday.

All the best,
Tim Ord

Technical analyst Tim Ord was my regular guest on our TV show. This is what he wrote after today's market close regarding the S&P 500 ETF (SPX).

For Long term monitoring purposes: Long SPX on 10-19-18 at 2767.78.

The 10 day Total Put/Call ratio reached long term bullish levels where SPX gained near 5% and higher. Short term SPX still can test it lows near 2710 range and if that does turn out to be the case we will add our regular long SPX position. The trin closed yesterday at 1.30 and the tick closed today at -259 which is a bullish combination that have lead to short term lows within three days which would suggests a low by next Wednesday.

All the best,
Tim Ord

On Friday as seen above, Ord went long for the long term SPX. Today after the close he also went long for the short term SPX.

For monitoring purposes: Long SPX on 10/22/18 at 2755.88.

Light volume test of gap and Bullish TRIN and Tick readings along with bullish Put/Call ratios.

All the Best,
Tim Ord

Last edited:
What traders are noting today:

@JustinPulitzer
$TSLA Good catch… VERY possible. Needs to lose $326.5 Y stay below $337.9 to confirm that. I’m not surprised to see responsive sellers at the gap fill & 61.8% Fib confluence here. http://tos.mx/lzevk6

Be XSive @BeXSive
@JustinPulitzer that a secure high in $TSLA today?
Is he saying TSLA won't go above $337.9 ? ;)

Is he saying TSLA won't go above $337.9 ? ;)
I think secure high means it's not a poor high. Here's the context of a poor high, though it doesn't specifically mention secure high:

Poor High and Poor Low Market Profile Structure Explained

Essentially, a secure level does not need to be revisited for completion before a new short term trend begins, in this case lower. The new trend will be confirmed if TSLA stays below $337.9 and gets below $326.5. This is all in the short term context of stocks moving from level to level, sometimes up and sometimes down. Assuming this pans out, you would look to the likely lower level where the stock may bounce but not assume it will.

every scientific study of technical analysis that i'm aware of has concluded the obvious -- that it holds zero predictive power. i liken it to astrology. a person can use any arbitrary set of rules and vocabulary to tease out how they really feel about something, but any conclusions drawn are the product the analyst's own subjective opinions and biases, whether they're couched in terms related to pseudo-scientific jargon or mystic astral forces.

every scientific study of technical analysis that i'm aware of has concluded the obvious -- that it holds zero predictive power. i liken it to astrology. a person can use any arbitrary set of rules and vocabulary to tease out how they really feel about something, but any conclusions drawn are the product the analyst's own subjective opinions and biases, whether they're couched in terms related to pseudo-scientific jargon or mystic astral forces.
Technical analysis can detect from price, volume, etc. that moneyed market participants may know something which has not yet been made publicly available. It's also a test of traders' emotions and intuitions, which cannot be found in fundamentals. Due to this, many algobots are programmed to know technical analysis. More than ever, they can make technical analysis a self-fulfilling prophesy. Yes, some technicians may unconsciously skew their analyses due to biases. Nevertheless, it may be wise not to completely ignore technical analysis.

Last edited:
Technical analysis can detect from price, volume, etc. that moneyed market participants may know something which has not yet been made publicly available. It's also a test of traders' emotions and intuitions, which cannot be found in fundamentals. Due to this, many algobots are programmed to know technical analysis. More than ever, they can make technical analysis a self-fulfilling prophesy. Yes, some technicians may unconsciously skew their analyses due to biases. Nevertheless, it may be wise not to completely ignore technical analysis.
@Curt Renz
I personally like the Accumulation/Distribution line as a TA indicator that perhaps you could comment upon.
It uses high low open close and volume to “attempt” to determine general tendency it seems, tho I may not be being precise.
Over the last few months or more it seems like about ~200,000,000 shares have been purchased at infinitesimally higher prices than sold at lower, even if MA are vaguely downwards, like someone’s (plural) are acquiring shares or perhaps lowering cost basis
Am I incorrect? I’m not saying it’s predictive, but that it seems to point higher in the indefinite but near future

• Helpful
Reactions: Dig deeper