Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Trading Strategies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article also didn't mention selling options. Selling options, when done correctly and consistently, is less risky and provides similar return to buying stock over a long time period. Pretty crazy considering the data set includes the 2008 crash. Here's some screen shots from the following video:
Sell Puts or Buy Stock?
upload_2017-2-18_19-41-27.png

upload_2017-2-18_19-50-55.png

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
How is the IV for TSLA. Still quite low?
Very low considering earnings is next week but compared it's overall average it is pretty average. It is at the the 41% point between the highest and lowest IVs it has had over the last year. When a stock goes straight up like TSLA has over the last couple months it tends to pull IV down.

upload_2017-2-18_20-30-56.png

I bought a few share premarket today and have no protective puts going into ER.

I do have cash on the sidelines in case of a dip.

My strategy: I exoect the bots to dip us AH tomorrow on the financials. I will buy AH but before the CC which I feel will be good.
I think that is one of the best strategies. Have extra cash to buy on dips instead of wasting cash on puts that go worthless more than half the time. I used to always have problems holding cash (which has a negative return on investment when inflation adjusted) but after trying it out I found that I can use that cash to take advantage of opportunities (not just TSLA) I wouldn't be able to have taken advantage of if I were fully invested.

I think that is one of the best strategies. Have extra cash to buy on dips instead of wasting cash on puts that go worthless more than half the time. I used to always have problems holding cash (which has a negative return on investment when inflation adjusted) but after trying it out I found that I can use that cash to take advantage of opportunities (not just TSLA) I wouldn't be able to have taken advantage of if I were fully invested.
Cash is a great hedge against the unknown. The certainty of uncertainty is about 100% - especially in today's bot driven, short-term thinking market. Cash makes the market pay for those mistakes to the advantage of longer term investors imo. I always have some cash available to advantage contrarian situations. I view this as a very cheap long-term put with a cost rate equal to nominal inflation. It's quite easy in our modern hyper-excited markets, to beat that money-use rate many times over... Highly recommend a cash layer in the investment stack

Last edited:
I sold some weekly $255 puts before close yesterday. Even though the stock is down 6% today, they are up 20%. Amazing what the IV crush does. I also sold some $300 calls which are obviously worth 0 now.

I think selling sognificantly OTM options before ER is almost a guaranteed way to make money. And even if the stock goes below $255, I'm happy to add shares at that price. Conversely, if the stock had gone above $300, I would have been happy to sell some shares.

I had some Calls at 245, 250 that I closed for some $$, sold a Jan 2018 PUT for 61$. Closed the Calls, to take some profit, Sold the put, incase market just incase market changes direction again. By Jan 18, surely will be above 250-260 range.
Now waiting for price drop as much as possible so I can by LEAPS at a lower rate

I've found that the problem with selling long-dated puts is that you don't get much benefit relative to short-dated puts. I usually run through the expirations calculating static rates of return. There's typically a sweet spot after which the static rate of return drops off. It varies exactly how far out it is, interestingly; I'm not sure why. Maybe Jonathan Hewiit knows. :) The sweet spot is typically the same expiration date for all of the OTM put strikes though.

Now I'm typically selling OTM puts, because I intend to end up with cash and buying stock cheap is the *backup plan*.

If you're selling ITM puts, you're more likely to get exercised, so I would evaluate it vs. holding stock. The downside of the deep ITM puts is that you have a solid chance of losing out on the upside if the stock goes above the target...

• Informative
Reactions: Blip
I've found that the problem with selling long-dated puts is that you don't get much benefit relative to short-dated puts. I usually run through the expirations calculating static rates of return. There's typically a sweet spot after which the static rate of return drops off. It varies exactly how far out it is, interestingly; I'm not sure why. Maybe Jonathan Hewiit knows. :) The sweet spot is typically the same expiration date for all of the OTM put strikes though.
Theta, daily time value loss increases as they get closer to expiration. Look at the option chain Greeks to see that.

It's one reason that keeping LEAPS until expiration is usually a bad idea.

Theta, daily time value loss increases as they get closer to expiration. Look at the option chain Greeks to see that.
Yeah, I just haven't figured out why *sometimes* the static rate of return drops off after two months, and *sometimes* it drops off after six months. The theta dropoff curve varies. I really don't know why.

So I just look for the sweet spot anew each time.

It's one reason that keeping LEAPS until expiration is usually a bad idea.
Time value decay follows the formula of heat decay - it was one of the brilliant insights of scholes & co. So it is not linear.

rate-of-decay.jpg

That also means that it's optimal to roll options forward as they approach 120 days to expiration. You pay less time premium that way.
And vice a vi, you score more premium, in a relative sense, selling options near expiry.

edit: Tried replying to Neroden, but answered MitchJi instead.

That also means that it's optimal to roll options forward as they approach 120 days to expiration.
Concur- I'm a long time user of LEAPS as stock replacement and due to the accelerated decay, to maintain the value of that strategy, standard role forward 120 days ahead of expiration; on occasion (event driven) I would go 90 days out- but that was my hard limit. And frankly most of the time I use 180 days as a beginning point and phase the role forward between 180 and 120 days... Otherwise you're allowing the market maker to effectively alter the investment tool you are using to a short-medium term option, not a LEAP. Don't give them that opportunity unless you specifically want that to happen.

If you're using LEAPS to hold a long term leveraged position or stock replacement, ALWAYS role forward 120+ days from expiration imo. [Obviously tailor this rule to your strike- It's most important if you're OTM and less so if DITM where time has little value anyway]

Last edited:
Concur- I'm a long time user of LEAPS as stock replacement and due to the accelerated decay, to maintain the value of that strategy, standard role forward 120 days ahead of expiration; on occasion (event driven) I would go 90 days out- but that was my hard limit. And frankly most of the time I use 180 days as a beginning point and phase the role forward between 180 and 120 days... Otherwise you're allowing the market maker to effectively alter the investment tool you are using to a short-medium term option, not a LEAP. Don't give them that opportunity unless you specifically want that to happen.

If you're using LEAPS to hold a long term leveraged position or stock replacement, ALWAYS role forward 120+ days from expiration imo. [Obviously tailor this rule to your strike- It's most important if you're OTM and less so if DITM where time has little value anyway]
If they are ITM and the price increases you will make more money by keeping the older LEAPS because the Delta will be higher if the strike price is similar. OTOH if the price dips you'll have less time to recover.

If they are ITM and the price increases you will make more money by keeping the older LEAPS because the Delta will be higher if the strike price is similar. OTOH if the price dips you'll have less time to recover.
True. If they are in fact DITM I usually implement a rolling overlap- buying out year with a cash layer, then holding both and converting the in year at peaks to replace the cash. Good point.

Here's a long post in reply to your question plus a lot more than you asked for because I thought my answer was incomplete without it and I thought other people could benefit from a more complete answer :)

The research I've seen shows that for equities in general, the following parameters over time will give you the best return for writings puts:
1. 45 Days to Expiration
2. 0.3-.35 Delta
3. Higher than normal IV for that stock
4. Close out at 50% max profit

This data is based solely on statistics and assumes no market timing is involved. It also is an average of all stocks researched and is not customized for TSLA so please use at your own discretion. If one can time the market then it also doesn't apply.

1. 45 DTE is the sweet spot of theta decay, premium received, and minimizing gamma risk. If you look at the graph JBRR posted you can see theta decay is the worst for sellers way way out in time so even if you get a ton of premium it really isn't going away very fast. If you look at the week before expiration it is the best for sellers but you aren't receiving much premium. Your gamma (rate of change of delta) risk is also the highest. This means that while you have really good theta decay a small stock move can easily wipe out all that premium and then some, making what looked like an easy win of a little bit of premium a huge loser.

2. 0.3-.035 delta is the sweet spot for delta because you are far enough from the current stock price that it will expire out of the money but not too far that it doesn't give you any premium. An option with a .3 delta is priced by the market as having a 70% chance of expiring out of the money (1-.3=.7=70%) Also notice that 1 standard deviation is 68%.

3. Higher IV than normal for that stock is important for a few reasons. One is obvious in that higher IV means more premium for the same strike put, or the same premium for a farther out of the money put. The other part is easiest explained by looking at a chart of TSLA's IV over the last year:
upload_2017-2-26_20-57-0.png

If you look at all of the IV spikes you will notice that after the spike IV returns to a more normal value; it is somewhat "mean reverting." You will also notice that generally the IV spikes aren't really long. This means that if you wait for an IV spike to sell a put you have a lot higher chance of winning because by the time your put expires IV may come back down. You should also notice from the chart that Historic Volatility (HV) is lower than Implied Volatility (IV) most of the time. This makes sense as the stock SHOULD actually move less than people think it will, otherwise no one would sell options (aka sell insurance) as they would constantly lose money. It also makes sense that the stock SHOULD move more than people think occasionally, otherwise smart people would never buy options (aka buy insurance).

4. Closing out at 50% max profit is important for a few reasons. One is that statistics show that your probability of having a profitable trade is much higher than the market priced it originally. Remember, the delta is determined by what the market thinks the probability of the option expiring in the money at expiration. It says nothing about what it's going to do between now and expiration. In other words, once you have 50% of max profit you should take it because it could all be gone and then some between now and expiration. You could say this about any % profit level between 0% and 100% but statistics generally show that 50% is the sweet spot as far as obtaining enough profit that it makes the trade worth taking in the first plate but not too much profit whereas you put yourself close to expiration and end up losing it (gamma risk!!). Another important thing about closing out at 50% max profit is it lets you get your capital back and put on another, possibly higher probability trade. The first 50% profit is generally easier to get than the second 50%. The first 50% was probably easy as IV may have reverted to the mean since you sold the put, or you sold the put when the stock dipped and it bounced, thus removing a lot of the premium from the put. The second 50% you have to hold all the way to expiration and be exposed to Gamma risk. The second 50% is usually not worth holding out for and it's better to open another trade with more favorable odds.

Most of the above info I've learned from TastyTrade.com so sorry if I butchered any of it.

With all this said, I've written long dated puts before for a few different reasons that seemed like a good idea to me (not validated by any statistics, data, learned from anyone else, etc). For example, one reason I've done it before was if TSLA was at a low point/technical resistance and I didn't feel like the 45 day out put gave enough premium but IV was high and I was pretty sure TSLA would be higher by the further out expiration. Another reason was TSLA IV was high and I thought the return over the longer time frame was a lot better than any other opportunities I was looking at, aka best use of my capital for the time and I wanted to "lock in" the higher IV while it was available. I'm not sure if these were the best things to do but they worked out ok for me.

Another thing I've done is write ITM puts with a time frame in the 3-6 month area. This is something I've done a few times when I think TSLA is going on an uptrend. My idea here is that I don't want to pay 7-8% interest to buy stock on margin and I don't want to buy calls that might expire worthless and use funds that could cause me to margin my stock, so I write an ITM put that is way in the money at a medium time frame. By writing a put it puts money IN my account (until I buy back the put) instead of taking it out and putting me on margin. Another big advantage here is if TSLA doesn't go up, stays flat, or goes down a little is that you can still have a profitable trade thanks to the extrinsic value you collect whereas margined stock and long calls NEED the stock to go up to win. There are a few negatives, of course. One is that if TSLA shoots up to your strike and past it then your delta goes down pretty quick and then becomes negligible and you would have done much better if you had bought calls or stock on margin. Another negative is that if TSLA goes up too fast you have to decide whether to take your profits or hope TSLA doesn't drop again while trying to collect more premium via theta decay. This is part of the art of selecting a strike that is high but not too high and far enough out to get some extrinsic value but not too far where your theta decay is really low. Another negative is that will see cash in your account instead of a negative margin balance so you can forget that you are VERY LEVERAGED. Depending on your brokerage there are a few different ways to see how leveraged you are so please do not rely on how much cash is sitting in your account to figure out how leveraged you are. If you are concentrated in one stock with all long positions (stock, long calls, short puts) and it takes a huge drop you can blow up your account really really quick so keep this in mind. I also don't recommend this approach as a large part of your account but part of a balanced strategy of stock, long calls, and puts, with plenty of cash in order to exercise puts if you get assigned.

Hopefully this helps some people with some ideas. Keep in mind that it's not easy. "Options are not for everyone," etc. I'm also definitely not an expert so take all this with a grain of salt and be careful out there.