Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSMR vs TESL vs TSLA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
So we know Tesla's Stock symbols is TSLA

On my (California) DMV paperwork it says my model 3 is a "TSMR" vehicle.
On my insurance info it says my model 3 is a "TESL" vehicle.
(looks like they both expect a 4 character maker code.)

Is one of those more correct and I should ask the other to fix it?

I am tempted to call my insurance and ask them to change their TESL to TSMR, but I am not sure if that is the right thing to do.

What do others see?

I am tempted to call my insurance and ask them to change their TESL to TSMR, but I am not sure if that is the right thing to do.

What do others see?

TSLA is a symbol chosen by the stock market.

TESL is probably the code CA DMV uses. Some states probably say TES, or TSL, or TESLA. All the systems are different. NJ for example uses a system from 1492.

I'm guessing your insurance has the first four letters of TESLA.

Long story short... my lawn needs mowing, so if you have this much time on your hands, could you help me out?

What do others see?
Reminds me of this:
"Tesla" or "TSMR" for the "Make"

Long story short... my lawn needs mowing, so if you have this much time on your hands, could you help me out?

Well this started with a letter from the DMV saying they didn't get any record of my car being insured so they were about to cancel my registration.
The insurance company said they had a problem with the VIN they entered, so they said they would fix it and not to worry.
But then I noticed the maker discrepancy between insurance and DMV and wondered if that would cause the DMV to not accept the insurance.

Well this started with a letter from the DMV saying they didn't get any record of my car being insured so they were about to cancel my registration.
The insurance company said they had a problem with the VIN they entered, so they said they would fix it and not to worry.
But then I noticed the maker discrepancy between insurance and DMV and wondered if that would cause the DMV to not accept the insurance.

Smh. Dmvs are terrible everywhere. In NJ they will often suspend registrations of people who switch insurance companies cause they will get notice of a cancelled insurance but not of the new insurance. Just terrible.

But Model 3 = M3. Do you think the M3 designation belongs to the BMW 3-Series M3? Cause the M3 for BMW is a trim.

Semantics. To an auto enthusiast, M3 is a legacy of models produced by BMW. M3 is a brand within itself, simply type in "M3" into Google and see what comes up. BMW does not even need to be mentioned when referencing the M3, it's that well branded. I get many people on these Tesla forums are new auto enthusiast or only fans of Tesla cars and may not feel the same. Is it that difficult to type 4 more letters and a space?