TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TSMR vs TESL vs TSLA

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TEG, Jul 14, 2018.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

So we know Tesla's Stock symbols is TSLA

On my (California) DMV paperwork it says my model 3 is a "TSMR" vehicle.
    On my insurance info it says my model 3 is a "TESL" vehicle.
    (looks like they both expect a 4 character maker code.)

Is one of those more correct and I should ask the other to fix it?

I am tempted to call my insurance and ask them to change their TESL to TSMR, but I am not sure if that is the right thing to do.

What do others see?

2. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

It's likely just their own internal shorthands. None have any bearing on each other.

• Like x 1
  3. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

DMV - TSMR
    Ins - TESLA

4. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

TSLA is a symbol chosen by the stock market.

TESL is probably the code CA DMV uses. Some states probably say TES, or TSL, or TESLA. All the systems are different. NJ for example uses a system from 1492.

I'm guessing your insurance has the first four letters of TESLA.

Long story short... my lawn needs mowing, so if you have this much time on your hands, could you help me out?

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Reminds me of this:
    "Tesla" or "TSMR" for the "Make"

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Well this started with a letter from the DMV saying they didn't get any record of my car being insured so they were about to cancel my registration.
    The insurance company said they had a problem with the VIN they entered, so they said they would fix it and not to worry.
    But then I noticed the maker discrepancy between insurance and DMV and wondered if that would cause the DMV to not accept the insurance.

7. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

Smh. Dmvs are terrible everywhere. In NJ they will often suspend registrations of people who switch insurance companies cause they will get notice of a cancelled insurance but not of the new insurance. Just terrible.