Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSN 1050 on TuneIn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone got TSN 1050 AM sports talk working on the TuneIn app on their car?

I can search the station, and it comes up with the right icon and everything, but then i select it to play it says "Loading Error" and doesn't play.

Fan 590 AM works fine so was wondering if others are having the same issue specific to 1050AM?

• Informative
Reactions: yyzunderdog
The CHUM FM HD signal that also carries HD2 and HD3 (Newstalk 1010 and TSN 1050), was shut down about 10 days ago. These stations are not available on Tunein, only the iHeart radio app that is not available in the Model 3. I spoke to the program manager at Newstalk 1010 and he was not very happy about this and advised to call the program manger at CHUM FM. We left a message for her and no reply. You can try contacting her at Bell Media 416-384-8000. They are losing a lot of potential listeners for both stations.

I live in Vancouver and have similar issues with TSN 1040. Sometimes the HD signal gets to be a bit wonky depending on the area you're in and TuneIn doesn't work. Kind of annoying. Sportsnet radio works fine for Tune In but I don't want to be switching between phone, tune in and radio to try to get 1 channel to work.

The CHUM FM HD signal that also carries HD2 and HD3 (Newstalk 1010 and TSN 1050), was shut down about 10 days ago. These stations are not available on Tunein, only the iHeart radio app that is not available in the Model 3. I spoke to the program manager at Newstalk 1010 and he was not very happy about this and advised to call the program manger at CHUM FM. We left a message for her and no reply. You can try contacting her at Bell Media 416-384-8000. They are losing a lot of potential listeners for both stations.
I noticed this as well and am very unhappy about it. Is there a reason for this, is it only temporary or is it permanent?

I have the same issue with TSN 1260 which is Edmonton's sports radio station. I've been meaning to ask here if anyone had a solution, but it sounds like all the TSN stations on Tune In have the same issue. I wonder if it's a TSN radio problem or a Tune In app on the car problem? TSN 1260 works great in my Tune In app on my iPhone as well as the Win 10 app on my PC.

I submitted a question to Tesla support and gave them a link to this thread. The phone app works fine so I would imagine there is some bug in connecting to the stream in our car version of TuneIn.

We need our hockey updates! :)
It seems like Tune In in our cars has a USA default location. I can get many American programs but not Canadian ones (hence the Fox World Cup Streams are working even though it's not supposed to work outside of USA).

I also sent a message to tesla and they told me doing a reset would fix it (obviosuly it doesn't.) I'm also disappointed that they shut down the HD radio on 104.5 in the GTA. The stations (Newstalk 1010 for me) work with the TuneIn app on my phone. When I got home tonight I decided to see if it works once the tesla has connected to my wifi. Low and behold it's fine. So at this time I think bell media is geofiltering listeners. I can't imagine why they'd want to do that though.

• Informative
Reactions: yyzunderdog
I also sent a message to tesla and they told me doing a reset would fix it (obviosuly it doesn't.) I'm also disappointed that they shut down the HD radio on 104.5 in the GTA. The stations (Newstalk 1010 for me) work with the TuneIn app on my phone. When I got home tonight I decided to see if it works once the tesla has connected to my wifi. Low and behold it's fine. So at this time I think bell media is geofiltering listeners. I can't imagine why they'd want to do that though.
That's a great data point!

What LTE provider does the car go thru?

I sent an email to 1050 here in toronto - maybe they can help!

Last edited:

What release of software do you have that allows you to use the wifi in the car?

What release of software do you have that allows you to use the wifi in the car?
WiFi was enabled with 2018.24.1. Press the LTE icon while in range to configure it. I know this software hasn't made it to all cars yet, but it's not like I'm going to sit in my garage and listen!

Given the finding that LTE connection is causing the issue it could also just be an issue on the Tesla side, rather than my initial thought around geofiltering. I've listened to Newstalk 1010 on TuneIn (on my phone) while travelling to the US before.

I'll try reaching the station engineer at CHUM FM again tomorrow regarding their HD signal. It was only up for a month so maybe there are some technical issues.
The month they had it must have coincided with when I got the car. Having never used HD radio before I searched online and found press releases indicating Bell Media announced it back in July 2017. I thought they had been up since then.