Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"TSportline" Buyer beware! Update: Tire service confirms irregular tire sound. Escalated to Michelin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man!!! I just purchased this exact set in the same color! They are being delivered today. I did purchase them with the Falken Tires instead and not the Michelin’s as I’ll be using my Geminis for Tahoe trips.

I will let you know if I experience a humming sound with the Falken Tires. This will determine if the sound is coming from the wheels or the tires.
I truly hope you end up with a great Falken set of tires :rolleyes:

@Tsportline — Any comments/feedback? Hoping there’s a reasonable resolution here. A quick scan of this thread shows multiple would-be buyers now reconsidering a potential purchase....clearly, there is measurable downside for all parties. Michelin seems willing to step up if the issue is on their end which seems plausible however if not, then what? I’m hoping I can come back to this thread in a few days and read about an amicable conclusion to an unfortunate and seemingly uncharacteristic situation. Stay healthy all. MJP

I bought the TSportline Falcon wheels and can back up some of the complaints about OP. They don't respond to e-mails, at least not to mine I guess, and mislead about availability back when I ordered them. I was working out with someone to buy the OE Uberturbines and they told me that they were ready and would ship out that Monday, but didn't actually do it until Friday. Not the biggest deal but annoying since I had to push back on the buyer.

When I called to ask about covering the cost of the balance since they were quite off, whoever picked up sounded (I get that "sounded" is subjective) annoyed and all she would say is that I need to pay out of pocket and they might reimburse if they felt it was needed, so obviously that wasn't inspiring for confidence.

I did end up having the wheels rebalanced but they still get wobbly around 65-70mph. I did hope that with lighter wheels and 19" vs the 21", the range would increase but that definitely wasn't the case but I kind of figured that with them being really not aerodynamic compared to the turbines. They might be slightly better in city though.

I'm glad that it seems like my experience isn't super typical, I mean I won't be buying from them again as I look for winter wheels but happy to learn that a company isn't as bad as my individual time with them.

Man!!! I just purchased this exact set in the same color! They are being delivered today. I did purchase them with the Falken Tires instead and not the Michelin’s as I’ll be using my Geminis for Tahoe trips.

I will let you know if I experience a humming sound with the Falken Tires. This will determine if the sound is coming from the wheels or the tires.

That would be good to know.. Thanks!!

@Tsportline — Any comments/feedback? Hoping there’s a reasonable resolution here. A quick scan of this thread shows multiple would-be buyers now reconsidering a potential purchase....clearly, there is measurable downside for all parties. Michelin seems willing to step up if the issue is on their end which seems plausible however if not, then what? I’m hoping I can come back to this thread in a few days and read about an amicable conclusion to an unfortunate and seemingly uncharacteristic situation. Stay healthy all. MJP

I nominate MJP as Moderator Extraordinaire!

Good job! ;)

How do you know that the Falken tire you purchased potentially isn't just an inherently noisy tire? Falkens have improved a lot since the FK-452 days, but they're not a Pilot Sport 4S TO when it comes to level of noise.

I'm no tire guru , but I've owned a lot of different manufacture tire models across various Teslas from 20" Michelin Pilot Sport 4S TO's on my 3 to 21" Pirelli PZero's on my S to 22" Conti DWS06's on my wife's X. Guess what: they all make varying levels of noise. Our cars are quiet. There's going to be tire and road noise regardless. I'm sure some can relate, some tires are simply just noisy compared to others (especially the off brand ones that come with that low price point). Tires are a commodity and are not all created equal even within the same manufacturer brand. This goes for WHEELS too. Many manufactures even have multiple brand names under their mark ie. Continental owns General tire. Go look at the price points between the two (night and day). Do you think you'll get Continental DWS06 all season quality & overall performance when purchasing a comparable General all season tire? I highly doubt it.

Speaking of tire manufacturing defects: I even had a Pirelli PZero Nero on a non-Tesla that wasn't round. I found this out by having the tire shop take the tire off and spinning the wheel on their balancer, which resulted in no visible or readable issues. They remounted the tire and while spinning, the tire/wheel assembly looked like an egg.

Just my experience with owning a lot of aftermarket wheels and tires...it's pointing to a tire or the tires in this case.

Perhaps not. Have to say it is very suspicious to ME, the lengths you are going to defend them.

Absurd. I'm defending no one. I'm only offering that we've only heard one side of the discussion, and until yesterday, no word from the "offending" merchant.

It shouldn't be suspicious in the slightest to just stop the discussion until we've heard from both sides.

Thanks for posting a bit of reason.

This thread should be kinda nutty to anyone that's has any meaningful experience with rims and tires.

I seriously doubt a rim is going to be significantly out of round, unbalanced, or will deform to wobble at one speed (60mph). This should be relatively easy to check.

A tire is literally aired-up and specifically constructed to deform. The tire contacts with road where 100% of traction comes from and nearly all of the noise is coming from. Tires are made somewhere, stacked, and shipped over on container ships by the (tens of) thousands.

A winter tire is made from softer rubber usually with lots of sipping. That means more traction, more deformation, and more noise.

How do you know that the Falken tire you purchased potentially isn't just an inherently noisy tire? Falkens have improved a lot since the FK-452 days, but they're not a Pilot Sport 4S TO when it comes to level of noise.

I'm no tire guru , but I've owned a lot of different manufacture tire models across various Teslas from 20" Michelin Pilot Sport 4S TO's on my 3 to 21" Pirelli PZero's on my S to 22" Conti DWS06's on my wife's X. Guess what: they all make varying levels of noise. Our cars are quiet. There's going to be tire and road noise regardless. I'm sure some can relate, some tires are simply just noisy compared to others (especially the off brand ones that come with that low price point). Tires are a commodity and are not all created equal even within the same manufacturer brand. This goes for WHEELS too. Many manufactures even have multiple brand names under their mark ie. Continental owns General tire. Go look at the price points between the two (night and day). Do you think you'll get Continental DWS06 all season quality & overall performance when purchasing a comparable General all season tire? I highly doubt it.

Speaking of tire manufacturing defects: I even had a Pirelli PZero Nero on a non-Tesla that wasn't round. I found this out by having the tire shop take the tire off and spinning the wheel on their balancer, which resulted in no visible or readable issues. They remounted the tire and while spinning, the tire/wheel assembly looked like an egg.

Just my experience with owning a lot of aftermarket wheels and tires...it's pointing to a tire or the tires in this case.

Yeah, it figures OP would accuse you of this.

No, I didn't change it, but someone else must have thought the thread title was misleading.

Did the tire service folk (who are they?) put you in direct contact with Michelin, or are they negotiating the issue with Michelin on your behalf? In my experience, I've never been able to deal directly with Continental, Pirelli, Michelin, but always had to go through a dealership, Discount Tire, etc. Firestone and Goodyear are the only ones that I know of that have brick and mortar stores.

Hoping the tire service can convince Michelin that you have a problem so you can move on. You've got a lot of money riding on this.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocketir
Totally absurd. Unfortunately, you've been reasonable so you need to get lumped-in and bashed along with TSportsline.

- OP never registered with TMC when he bought his Tesla.
- OP never posted before ordering and after receiving his wheels.
- OP only registered to bash TSportsline.
- Therefore all TMC users (aka "useful idiots") should automatically side with OP and against TSportsline, right? :rolleyes:

Absurd. I'm defending no one. I'm only offering that we've only heard one side of the discussion, and until yesterday, no word from the "offending" merchant.

It shouldn't be suspicious in the slightest to just stop the discussion until we've heard from both sides.