Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tssk tssk tssk noise from front drivers wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I have a 2021 MYP and from about 500 miles in I now get a "tssk tssk tssk" kind of quietish rhythmic rubbing noise from 0mph to about 30pmh when the wind noise drowns it out. Kind of like a rock is in the tire, but less 'ticky' and more 'tssst'y. Sounds like the pad is rubbing against a hotspot on the disc.

I'm now at 1500 miles and its still there.

I took it to Tesla and they've worked on it twice... They've cleaned the disc and pads, as well as checked everything else. They've told me this is "normal" due to the close alignment of the pads and discs, and that this should dissipate over time...

My question is... has anyone else experienced this?? I've never experienced it on any other new car and its just weird and kinda crappy to have happening on just one wheel of a near 70k car...

Thanks for your help!

I don’t have this. Do you hear it more with the window open? Would doing some hard braking help with this? Maybe a few 70-0 back to back braking to help burn in the pads and match to the disc.

I had this addressed at the SC on my MYP. Apparently there was debris in the axle boot. They cleaned it and I haven’t noticed it again.
I don't understand. "...debris in the axle boot..." would be bathed/immersed in axle grease, unable to make any sound, unless the joint was grinding.
How did they remove/clean the boot? I'm curious.

I don't understand. "...debris in the axle boot..." would be bathed/immersed in axle grease, unable to make any sound, unless the joint was grinding.
How did they remove/clean the boot? I'm curious.
I’m not a mechanic so I just accepted the explanation and was pleased that the issue had been resolved.

Write up on the service ticket stated, “found debris on the axle boots for left front wheel. Cleaned and lubricated”.

I’m not a mechanic so I just accepted the explanation and was pleased that the issue had been resolved.

Write up on the service ticket stated, “found debris on the axle boots for left front wheel. Cleaned and lubricated”.
I still don't see how any debris aside from spider webs could be caught on any boot given it's protected by the underbody aero and cladding covers. At the rate the boots spin at anything that is mildly hard will tear the boot up real fast.