Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tucson AZ to Van Horn, TX I-10.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am relocating to Texas and am going to be making the trek from SoCal to Texas at the end of next month. So far I have 70% of the trip covered with Superchargers and destination charging, but between Tucson AZ and Van Horn TX I am wanted to solicit any suggestions for charging that anyone might have.

So far looks like I will have to hit a KOA campground in Denning or Lordsburg, NM and then a Level 2 in Las Cruces. Anyone else have any ideas? They'd be much appreciated.

I stayed by Love Field in Dallas at the Embassy Suites (no clue on putting chargers but great place) Drove to Denton at 4am and by the time I got back to the hotel I realized that I did not have enough range and went next door to the Tesla service center to see about a top up. WOW nice place. They had a super charger there but not with the stand but only a 50 huge cable with 400 amps at 400 volts. I was full again and headed to Cisco, Texas charging. Warning Texas has a number of toll roads and NOT tied together with a similar EZ card system such as FL or CA. Also bought a Nema 6-20 for use in motel AC units.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I stayed by Love Field in Dallas at the Embassy Suites (no clue on putting chargers but great place) Drove to Denton at 4am and by the time I got back to the hotel I realized that I did not have enough range and went next door to the Tesla service center to see about a top up. WOW nice place. They had a super charger there but not with the stand but only a 50 huge cable with 400 amps at 400 volts. I was full again and headed to Cisco, Texas charging. Warning Texas has a number of toll roads and NOT tied together with a similar EZ card system such as FL or CA. Also bought a Nema 6-20 for use in motel AC units.

The TxTag system interoperates in most, if not all, Texas toll roads. Sorry if you were inconvenienced in your travels!

The TxTag system interoperates in most, if not all, Texas toll roads. Sorry if you were inconvenienced in your travels!
Interesting as I was in Huston and got on one road that was a toll road and off at the first stop and then went to an EZ Tag office which is part of the Harris County Toll Road Authority. They said that they are NOT affiliated with any other Texas Toll roads. And I could NOT pay my $0.90 toll as it had not hit the system. I am going to check back on the website on Tuesday and then if it is posted then pay the $$ PLUS an admin fee, etc
My point was that the Texas system does not appear to be interstate traveler friendly, nor does it interface with the Florida or California systems. So best to hit the AVOID TOLL ROADS on the Tesla GPS. I did find the Florida one quite easy and quite necessary for travel there but now I am trying to figure out how to end it. It cost me $50 plus a bit for the transponder and I have a $12 balance that I may never see. But working on it.
So in summary best to switch off the toll roads as we pay nothing for fuel and to avoid the hassle.

Reactions: BerTX
We spent last night in Abilene, Texas. May not be the prettiest town I have ever seen. But stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn which has a Tesla Destination Charger. Please talk to Laura, the Sales Manager. [email protected]
When we arrived she had orange coned off the charger for us so no one would block it. She has been great and easy on the eyes.
So now we leave Abilene fully charged and well rested.

today we went by the TEMPORARY CLOSURE SWEETWATER SUPER CHARGER as shown on our Tesla screen. The hotel in front of the chargers at Sweetwater was what looked like a Holiday Inn Express that was shut down. No cars in the front or back just one old truck on the side. Tried two of the Chargers and they both worked. Checked the Tesla screen and even though we were charging it said it was closed.
By the way the Hampton was busy and alive so suggest staying at the Hampton while your Tesla is being charged in Sweetwater.

Spent the night in Odessa, TX we spent the night at the Homewood Inn. Love the hotel but they said that they did not have any charging area. I went into the pool equipment area and found an open pair of 20 amp receptacles. To plug in my Tesla cable I backed up over the rear sidewalk and the cable just cleared the top of the fence. Or bring a hammer and loosen one of the wooden fence stakes. I have asked the hotel to either move the box or cut a 3 inch hole in the fence. I added 70 miles in 14 hours of charging. So charged up and ready to go to Van Horn TX.
Will put up a photo

I am relocating to Texas and am going to be making the trek from SoCal to Texas at the end of next month. So far I have 70% of the trip covered with Superchargers and destination charging, but between Tucson AZ and Van Horn TX I am wanted to solicit any suggestions for charging that anyone might have.

So far looks like I will have to hit a KOA campground in Denning or Lordsburg, NM and then a Level 2 in Las Cruces. Anyone else have any ideas? They'd be much appreciated.

My wife and I have made the drive from California to Las Cruces, NM a total of five times in our classic S85. The first three times we took interstate 10 and charged overnight at the Westin La Paloma in Tucson, AZ and then charged for about three hours at the Magic Circle RV park in Wilcox, AZ. I'm kind of fond of the Magic circle RV park since the owners are really nice, they are very EV friendly, they have a lounge area and bathrooms, and there are several food options within walking distance (we usually walked over the freeway overpass and had lunch at the deli in Safeway, but there are some great looking places in downtown Wilcox if you are up for a hike).

The last two times, we went a completely different route and went along interstate 40 from Barstow, CA to Albuquerque, NM. We then got an nearly full charge in Albuquerque while having a meal at Applebee's and then stopped briefly at the best western in Socorro, NM to add a little range and make sure the charger is still operational for the trip back because the elevation change makes the Las Cruces to Albuquerque direction more challenging. This route adds some distance, but the total time on the road is similar because you don't need the three hour charging stop in Wilcox. You also have more flexibility since there are no overnight charging stops required. Although if you go the interstate 10 route and have access to a CHAdeMO adapter, you could also try charging at one of the CHAdeMO stations in Tucson and then charging the car overnight in Wilcox since there is a super8 motel near the Magic Circle RV park.

Reactions: StoXto3toY
Spent the night in Odessa, TX we spent the night at the Homewood Inn. Love the hotel but they said that they did not have any charging area. I went into the pool equipment area and found an open pair of 20 amp receptacles. To plug in my Tesla cable I backed up over the rear sidewalk and the cable just cleared the top of the fence. Or bring a hammer and loosen one of the wooden fence stakes. I have asked the hotel to either move the box or cut a 3 inch hole in the fence. I added 70 miles in 14 hours of charging. So charged up and ready to go to Van Horn TX.
Will put up a photo
That's why I carry a 10 gauge 20A extension cord. :)
When you stay at hotels without a charging station, please tell them of Tesla's destination charging program. They can get HPWCs for free and have most or all of the installation paid for.
Destination Charging | Tesla
I've had one take them up on the offer, but ofhers have not. I'm always surprised when a hotel turns down "free".

Next we were going to go to Van Horn and decided to check out the Best Western show on our Tesla destination chargers. We expected to stay a few minutes. The place is fabulous with 220 rooms at least 3 pools including one indoor. The restaurant a filled with the locals who come for the wonderful buffet. We tried the buffet with the beef and chicken mains. Large salad bar. Next we decided to spend the night and forego till tomorrow going to Van Horn and El Paso. With a charge up here you can make El Paso without a stop.
There are 3 charges. Two are Tesla and one J1772. The one on the end wall is 240 volts, 40 amps and charges at about 26 miles an hour. This charges about 10% faster than the other Tesla charger at 208 volts.

I assume you are in Pecos, TX?

I have serious doubts about your plan to drive from there to El Paso without charging. The speed limit on that road is 80 mph almost the entire way AND you will be driving into a headwind of 20-25 mph tomorrow.

Your only place to charge is the RV parks in Van Horn. I'd make plans to stop there.

Thank you. I am charged up to 257. We drove at 57 mph all the way to Pecos. And the head wind is a major.
Yes I will stop in at the various RV parks. I sure liked the Best Western in Pecos. It is like Disneyland. It is really well thought out.
The idea of going only 57 was to see how the miles driven matched with the miles used on the batteries.
Thank you for your insight.