Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tuesday Conference Call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've stolen DiscoDucky's summary to post here since the site is restricted:
Summary first and then some rough notes from the conference call.

So the short of it...
1. Factory, build process, machines, paint, hiring pace is on track
2. Supplier issues are within acceptable parameters
3. Peter gave his resignation quicker than what Elon expected
4. Nick appears to have been let go
5. Neither Peter or Nick has ill will or were there any significant disagreements
6. Safety is a concern to get 5 stars in all categories
7. There will be test rides of the *ONE* Model X (SUV-like) prototype at the Feb 9th event in LA.

Long of it....

1. Elon
a. Apologizes for the way the news came out
b. He believes the news is positive
c. Intended to convey it at the earnings announcement
d. He believes it is his fault
e. Actual personal reasons, Peter resignation
f. There wasn’t a good fit for Nick at this phase of the development cycle
g. Meet or do better than July
h. 20K cars next year
i. 25% margin, at least
j. Model X is going to be extremely well received
2. JB
a. Powertrain, electronic and infotainment as well as manufacturing of those components
b. His team is on track with key performance metrics
i. Including 4.4s on a real road
ii. Top speed of 130MPH
iii. Full motor winding line complete
iv. Doing final validation of Model S components
v. EPA certifications are going well
3. Jerome
a. On schedule, high quality, stick to budget: business as usuall
b. Beta build is proceeding on track
i. Test cars are undergoing 2nd winter test in Minnesota
ii. Aerodynamic tests are better than expected
iii. Crash testing
1. Component is going well
2. Body panel is going well
3. Full crash testing is pending
4. Elon reiterated that there will be no safer car that can be bought
4. ???
a. Overall timing for manufacturing is on time
b. Using actual production equipment in Freemont
c. Hiring is on track, expect to double workforce this year
d. Tooling is on track, receiving more dies from Japan
e. Release candidate build is set for March
5. George Blankenship
a. Stores are doing well with significant traffic
b. 6 new stores in US
i. ~300K customers in December
c. 8000 Model S at year end
d. Options and pricing was received very well since reservations accelerated
e. More design stores are coming this year
6. Elon again
a. More customers are getting test drives
b. Very happy, couldn’t be happier
7. Steve – BofA
a. Supplier and paint shop worries or bottlenecks
i. Elon – Low probability of issue of supplier issue
1. If issue, they could produce the component in house
a. Airbag being the exception, but is largely put to bed in this stage
b. Considers 4 stars in any category being undesirable
2. Quality is good, but they are iterating
ii. Gilbert – Paint shop is fully operational in automatic mode
1. Painted 4 different colors
8. Patrick – Goldman Sachs
a. IP protections on employees
i. Elon – Lots of patents as well as trade secrets policies to ensure
1. They were working on body and chassis and nothing else
a. Estimating size and weight
2. They arrived after the 1st prototype of Model S
b. How involved were Peter and Nick in Model X
i. Team that is working on Model X will be at the event
9. Rod – Deuche Bank
a. Last minute changes for insourcing
i. Inpressure diecasting is coming in house due to economics
1. Machine is being delivered and installed at Freemont
ii. Battery pack – Continued refinements in next 2 to 3 months
1. Testing for corner cases (1 in a million type of events)
b. Last minute changes for Safety (like the Volt)
i. Denmark accident with Prius, Toureg and Roadster
ii. Never been a serious injury in a roadster
iii. Never been a battery pack fire
iv. Only a lead acid battery melting a headlight
v. Tesla has more *other* battery packs deployed than GM without issue (Smart and A-class)
10. Amir – Barclays
a. Internal safety testing information
i. Elon – Mentions blog for updates when available
ii. Each cell is double fused internally
iii. More breaks at external levels (triple fused)
iv. If liquid cooling fails there is no domino effect of failure
v. Vindication of all cell strategy which act like firebreaks in the forest so no issue with one cell can propagate to others
1. Software and electronics are more complex but it’s inherently more safe
11. Carter – Driscol
a. More information about departures
i. Elon - Neither one have left for a competitor
ii. No signification disagreement on Model S or X
iii. Skillset was not suited for the new phase of development
iv. Team of 20 yes, team of 200 no, new level of maturity
b. Model X event
i. Feb 9th at downtown LA, like an SUV, 1st prototype, they will do test drives, but they only have one test ride
12. Micheal – Robert W Beird
a. Better PR and management of external communications so there is no distraction
i. Elon – we are continuing to see reservations accelerate, no issues seen so far
13. Andrea - ???
a. One Model S from start to finish at Freemont
i. Gilbert – We have finished a beta build all in house in an automated fashion (not quite a 100%)
ii. Elon – Clarified that his use of renaming the executive meeting room was indeed a joke
14. Elane - ???
a. How much notice did they give
i. Elon – Onboarded in 09, had a sense there needed to be a transition (Peter) but it happened quicker than anticipated. Nick was let go, not his decision
b. Safety
i. Car is passing, but need to get it to 5 stars in all categories. They are working on a specific size of occupant that is unbelted.
15. Steve – BofA
a. China
i. George – Working on China engagement, positioning company well.
16. Brian – Russell Group
a. Interior will be finished and in showroom
i. Elon – Production fit and finish is better
b. Test drive
i. Release candidate phase, 3 months or so, March/April with 100% homologated
c. Update on deals with other companies
i. Optimistic, but can’t comment
17. Amir again
a. Gross margin target timeline
i. 25% in 2013 is on track with very specific details on cost, not significant amount of uncertainty left
ii. It’s going to be some number better than 25% and will improve over the course of 2013
18. Elaine again
a. Is the car legally approved for public roads from non-company employees
i. Set for no later than July
19. Concluding remarks
a. Elon – Thanks to everyone!

Elon said something about 3-4 months once the Release Candidate cars are out that test drive should start. He then said that beta testing software is different than beta testing cars in terms of letting people test drive them. It does sound like they plan to make cars available to test drive though for customers.

By far not as complete as Discoducky's list, just the things I found noteworthy:

• Conference call lasted 55 min
  • Might do better on Model S delivery than "no later than July"
  • Margins on Model S, in 2013, should be better than 25% and may further improve during the year
  • Might produce more than 20,000 in 2013
  • Tested performance version in real cars on real roads, achieved 4.4 sec and more than 130 mph
  • Tests of actual aerodynamics better than expected
  • Beta vehicles have now been built mostly on actual production line, mostly in automation with production equipment & tools
  • Release candidates will come end of Feb / beginning of March
  • Announcing Options & Prices lead to the strongest weeks of reservations in December, so far 1500 in Q4 vs 1150 in Q3
  • there will be 8-10 new design stores in 2012, including New York, Miami, LA, Boston, Toronto
  • Paint shop now full operational, painted many cars in black, silver, white, sig red, paint quality already good for this stage, and improving
  • Low risk that one subcategory might be 4 stars rather than 5 star, but hope to achieve 5 star and confident it will be the safest car
  • Asked about concerns about things that could go wrong, only small risks, for example air bags not a concern anymore.
  • With (over?) 2000 Roadsters delivered, there were some high-speed accidents (not fault of vehicles), but no serious injuries. None had battery fires (only one small problem with a non-Tesla 12V auxiliary battery).
  • Actually delivered more battery packs to Daimler than Roadsters, no problems either, also not in Toyota's RAV4 testing
  • Not expecting demand problems, sales accelerating, also not diminished this last weekend. Focussing on engineering to get Model S ready
  • A few bits about Model X, Feb 9 will offer test rides, will offer something unique (feature) for a SUV
  • Model S test drives in perhaps about 3 months (sounded like it could be a bit more)
  • Quite optimistic about additional Daimler and Toyota projects, but can't comment
  • Very little uncertainty about Model S production cost remaining

Last edited:
True but it was that year and the first prototype was little more than a Mercedes/Roadster hybrid mule. So they oversaw what was going on under the skin and have to take credit for that.

I suppose that comment related to such things as the decisions to use a flatbed battery back, where the motor & PM go, and so forth, the "core design" which was apparently made before them. Elon gave them credit mostly (but not only) for optimizing the design in terms of weight etc.

Tweets from Elon:

"TSLA down ~$500M Friday, but back up ~$500M today. Sorry for the roller coaster."

"Will communicate better in the future. Too many people want us to fail and are willing to twist any bit of news against Tesla."

Actually I am a reservation holder (P6316) but was unable to view it. In fact I have never been able to even post on the official forum for some reason, it always dumps me into an 'updating' page.
e-mail you customer advocate and see if they can fix it for you. You should be able to post and read in those areas as well.

i. ...
ii. Each cell is double fused internally
iii. More breaks at external levels (triple fused)
iv. If liquid cooling fails there is no domino effect of failure
v. Vindication of all cell strategy which act like firebreaks in the forest so no issue with one cell can propagate to others...

How does this work? If the box is stuffed with cylindrical batteries, how is that better than box batteries?

PS
Thanks for all the details!

How does this work? If the box is stuffed with cylindrical batteries, how is that better than box batteries?

PS
Thanks for all the details!

I think the idea is two fold. One, there is space between the cylindrical batteries and two, each individual battery doesn't hold very much energy. If one heats up and melts, there's be space between it and the surrounding batteries (probably space filled by coolant), and the melting battery doesn't release too much energy since it's small. Because of this, the battery next the melting battery won't also melt.

That's just my take of it though. I'm not a battery expert.

Actually I am a reservation holder (P6316) but was unable to view it. In fact I have never been able to even post on the official forum for some reason, it always dumps me into an 'updating' page.

I had this very same problem... emailing my customer advocate fixed the issue. It took a couple of days to figure it out.... Look at the URL you get redirected to when you post and it fails - if it says "denied" somewhere in it, I believe your problem was the same as mine and they do know how to fix it now.

/Mitch.

I had this very same problem... emailing my customer advocate fixed the issue. It took a couple of days to figure it out.... Look at the URL you get redirected to when you post and it fails - if it says "denied" somewhere in it, I believe your problem was the same as mine and they do know how to fix it now.

/Mitch.

Thanks for the responses. I am not sure I have a customer advocate ... I actually mistyped my email when I reserved online and never got a conformation email perhaps this is why? I did send an email to the generic help email address and they changed the email address in my account (I can see my reservation now) but I am unsure who my customer advocate it ...

Thanks for the responses. I am not sure I have a customer advocate ... I actually mistyped my email when I reserved online and never got a conformation email perhaps this is why? I did send an email to the generic help email address and they changed the email address in my account (I can see my reservation now) but I am unsure who my customer advocate it ...
Can try calling them
Buy a Tesla Roadster or Reserve a Tesla Model S | Tesla Motors

As to the conference call, I listened to the whole thing and think they did a great job answering questions. I'm sure they have more information next month and can hopefully answer some of the other questions about the Model S people have had since the options and pricing were released last month.

Tip: Don't go to the forums to login. Go to the Tesla home page and login using the top right button; then when you get the "My Tesla" page navigate to the forums using the "Join Discussions" button on the right hand menu.

I have no idea why this works, but it fixed the problem for me....