Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tune In radio losing hundreds of stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was listening to 880 AM news radio via TuneIn on my ride into work this morning when I hear an ad saying that 880 will be moving to radio.com and to use the new radio.com app to listen as it will no longer be available on TuneIn. Obviously, Tesla doesn't have a radio.com app, soooo, I guess no more AM news radio? It's also happening with the other NYC area AM news/traffic station 1010 WINS.

Upon doing a web search, Entercom is yanking all of their stations from TuneIn. Entercom is the 2nd largest radio company is the U.S. (according to wikipedia) and the #1 creator of live, original and local audio content. This seems like kind of a blow to Tesla as the AM reception in their cars leaves much to be desired and is basically unusable where I live. Their response to the crumby AM reception has always been "use TuneIn", but that's not an option now. The only other option I see is to download the radio.com app on my phone and play it through the car that way, but that is cumbersome and then I'm using phone data to stream the traffic...any other ideas?

Many AM stations have HD subchannels on FM. Finding them isn't easy, and Tesla could make that easier by having the media player simulate an AM radio band, and automatically do the mapping of the desired AM station to the HD/FM broadcast.

XM is another alternative - and why we activated the XM radio on our new X (which never had AM, and it looks like Tesla has even discontinued AM on the new Model S cars).

Though smartphone apps will be the best option for streaming content.

Years ago, Musk indicated Tesla would be adding "screen mirroring" (probably not Apple CarPlay or Android Auto) - and if/when they do that, it will make it easier to control your smartphone from the console display. Though like many of the features he

Many AM stations have HD subchannels on FM.

I used to use HD subchannels all the time on my 2013 Model S, but they have never worked on my new 2018 Model X with the new Intel-based MCU. The 1-2-3 buttons show up, but nothing happens when you select 2 or 3 on any FM station. I assumed it would eventually get dealt with in a firmware upgrade, but no luck since getting my X at the end of March.

Curious if any other MCU2 owners are experiencing this. Perhaps I do need to make a Service appointment...

• Informative
Reactions: youlikeadajuice
^^^^
Sadly, what’s FM?

Between frequent commercials and degrading of station quality, it hasn't been a listening pathway for our family;
XM, slacker and USB covers our need.

I suspect that’s the case for many owners although a OTA station consolidator APP would be beneficial for larger city owners.

I used to use HD subchannels all the time on my 2013 Model S, but they have never worked on my new 2018 Model X with the new Intel-based MCU. The 1-2-3 buttons show up, but nothing happens when you select 2 or 3 on any FM station. I assumed it would eventually get dealt with in a firmware upgrade, but no luck since getting my X at the end of March.

Curious if any other MCU2 owners are experiencing this. Perhaps I do need to make a Service appointment...

We've been able to listen to local sports broadcasts using the HD subchannels for the local AM sports station on our new X (delivered in June).

We have XM on our S & X, and can listen to games when we're out of town. When we get the opposing team's broadcast, we'll sometimes stream the XM app from our smartphone over BT.

If Tesla ever gets around to adding more apps - would be nice to have the XM app (even for cars without an XM antenna)...

@mknox thanks for the tip about HD substations...I listen to so little FM radio I had no idea that existed. My newly missing traffic stations from TuneIn are in fact available on HD substations, although the reception is pretty spotty. USB and Slacker cover my music needs, but I hope Tesla will add Radio.com to pick up the lost station availability on TuneIn.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
We've been able to listen to local sports broadcasts using the HD subchannels for the local AM sports station on our new X (delivered in June).

Thanks. I guess it's time for a Service appointment. My 2103 Model S worked perfectly with the HD subchannels, but my late March 2018 Model X never has worked. I assumed that it had something to do with the new MCU and that Tesla woule "get around to it eventually", but if your car, obviously with the new MCU is working, mine must be defective somehow.

@mknox thanks for the tip about HD substations...I listen to so little FM radio I had no idea that existed. My newly missing traffic stations from TuneIn are in fact available on HD substations, although the reception is pretty spotty. USB and Slacker cover my music needs, but I hope Tesla will add Radio.com to pick up the lost station availability on TuneIn.

Were you able to find a FM substation for 880AM? If so do you mind sharing?

I’d like shortwave while we’re at it. I was randomly scanning whilst barbecuing one night and stumbled on “Just A Minute” on one of the BBC shortwave channels. So I get what y’all are saying. I have not read up on what’s easy and hard to cram in to a car chassis though.

Have found a lot of new things I didn’t know I liked, thru Slacker and TuneIn!