Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tunein is still a piece of crap in V9.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tunein is the Tesla software to connect to Podcasts provided by tunein.com. It was developed by Tesla and not by Tunein (I checked before making bug reports).

TLDR is: it's crap.

I filed quite a few bug reports on it in V8. While its got a pretty new face in V9, all the core bugs that render it unusable are still there.

For example:
  • Old version showed the wrong timezone/day for podcasts. Now it simply doesn't show a date.
  • Old and new version will return to the start of the podcast constantly while playing:
    • if there is a break in connection, which seems to happen all the time, or
    • if I stop and start the car.
  • There's no indication of what is played
The restarting bug renders Tunein useless - because I am constantly having to try and slide forward to where I was. This happens when driving inside the city and in the countryside. Why can't it just remember its position if there is a network interruption? Why can't it buffer the whole podcast?

The iOS podcasting app is significantly better, but it is illegal to touch your phone while driving (to select a different podcast). Anyone else suffer from this first world problem?

"Someone" should somehow find an opportunity to confront Elon or some other appropriate executive with a blunt question along the lines of, "After all these years, the audio system still doesn't work. When will Tesla put aside its foolish fascination with trivial crap like games and Easter eggs and give us an audio system that works reliably -- which we have all paid for?" It would probably be nice to rephrase it to be firm but less harsh, I suppose. But hopefully you get the idea.
Now who can figure out a good way to present that question in a way, time, and place that Tesla cannot avoid answering it? This is really, really getting old.
I wonder if the iPace has good internet radio....

But it sounds amazing. I could not be happier with the sound... If only we had Spotify like they do in Europe. Sigh.
Although, Spotify on the Tesla is not perfect either. Since the V9 update, some of us have been having problems where Spotify can't login, whether using Tesla's or the driver's credentials (fixed with one or two MCU reboots). Both Spotify and Tune-in periodically have problems connecting via the Internet.

I wish we could all have Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

Reactions: zanc and mazeminder
Same issues with my TuneIn. One additional thing that drives me nuts about it is that some podcast stations load up fine, and play the library in that podcast library. Yet other podcasts show as available, yet nothing in the library loads! Why is this!!??

Reactions: David29
Same issues with my TuneIn. One additional thing that drives me nuts about it is that some podcast stations load up fine, and play the library in that podcast library. Yet other podcasts show as available, yet nothing in the library loads! Why is this!!??

My experience with podcasts leads me to observe that when they will not load, one of two things is often (not always) occurring. One, longer podcasts seem to be more likely not to load. This seems to make sense in a vague way, but I do not know enough about the technology to be sure. Second, the newest episodes are often a problem, but then they load after a day or two has passed. In the latter case, I suspect that either the Tesla servers or someplace else in the chain cannot handle all the demand right after a new episode is published.

And i wholeheartedly agree that it is super annoying when the car loses its place in a partially-heard podcast. It is especially aggravating when the podcast is long, because it then is a very tedious process to find your way back to where you left off. You apparently have to let the car cache part of the program, then you can move the slider part-way along. then do it again, and again, and so on. Sometimes I give up. Plus, by the way, this is distracting and therefore dangerous -- it takes a lot of looking at the screen, and very careful placement of your finger, to move the cursor along. (And version 9 is fussier in this regard -- it seems to be harder for me to "hit the target" with my finger in a moving car than it was before.)

Reactions: SucreTease
I, too, am very disappointed with TuneIn, and the media player in general. Not only the inability to retain playing position in TuneIn, but the media player playing a randomly selecting source when starting the car after it had been stopped with the media player off, to the entire MCU completely freezing up for a minute or more when one selects USB with a large music collection on USB. Also, the media player will periodically and randomly completely stop playing anything (radio included).

Reactions: David29
"After all these years, the audio system still doesn't work. When will Tesla put aside its foolish fascination with trivial crap like games and Easter eggs and give us an audio system that works reliably -- which we have all paid for?" It would probably be nice to rephrase it to be firm but less harsh, I suppose. But hopefully you get the idea.
Absolutely agreed!

For those who thinks TuneIn is a piece of crap in a Tesla I've got to tell you from Europe that Spotify is a WAY bigger crap.
TuneIn works actually almost perfectly but I use it only occasionally while I fight every day with Spotify.

Reactions: .jg.