Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TuneIn Radio “Loading Error”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to listen to live sports broadcasts on TuneIn radio. On each and every game/station I’ve tried, I get a loading error. Not the case with normal radio station streaming. Went to my computer to see if the same problem existed, and was able to get live sports broadcasts with no problems. Even tried the 1 month trial of premium to see if that made any difference.

Had a “chat” with Tesla support, and they had me do all of the resets. Still no luck. They suggested I make a service appointment, although service center is 60 miles away. I seriously doubt they will be able to help.

I know I’ve seen occasional posts about TuneIn loading errors, but nothing definitive. Can anyone confirm whether or not they are experiencing my issues and if so, is there any resolution?

Thanks,
Ron

I get Loading Error all the time with TuneIn. It generally happens when getting back into the vehicle after exiting while a TuneIn channgel was playing (podcast for me). Generally, I resolve it by switching to radio, then back to TuneIn and reselect the podcast channeI and eposide that was previously listening to and finding where in the podcast I left off.

Trying to listen to live sports broadcasts on TuneIn radio. On each and every game/station I’ve tried, I get a loading error. Not the case with normal radio station streaming. Went to my computer to see if the same problem existed, and was able to get live sports broadcasts with no problems. Even tried the 1 month trial of premium to see if that made any difference.

Had a “chat” with Tesla support, and they had me do all of the resets. Still no luck. They suggested I make a service appointment, although service center is 60 miles away. I seriously doubt they will be able to help.

I know I’ve seen occasional posts about TuneIn loading errors, but nothing definitive. Can anyone confirm whether or not they are experiencing my issues and if so, is there any resolution?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron-

For the last several weeks I have been unable to get ESPN Radio to load. This is what I have listened to for about 90% of my time in the car for my last two years. I can get some of the local ESPN affiliate stations to load, but not the national feed (so no Stephen A or Will Cain, etc).

Very frustrated and haven't figured it out yet. Let me know if you have found a solution.

Thanks!

Tom

Since the latest update to my Model 3 a couple of weeks ago, I have been unable to get my favorite tune in station (KOZT, The Coast) (repeated loading errors). Previous to this update I never had a loading error. Many other tunein stations suddenly have occasional or frequent loading errors. Tried steering wheel double button hold down screen reset, but no change. Does anyone know if they changed something in the latest update affecting Tunein and if it will be fixed in the next update? Other than this, absolutely love my Model 3.

Pretty sure it is Tesla's servers that introduce the problem - they seem to not support some types of streams. If you can stream from TuneIn using a phone app but that same stream doesn't work in your car, it points to a Tesla problem, not a TuneIn problem.

For me, this started a few years back as stations began updating their streams from mp3.

Pretty sure it is Tesla's servers that introduce the problem - they seem to not support some types of streams. If you can stream from TuneIn using a phone app but that same stream doesn't work in your car, it points to a Tesla problem, not a TuneIn problem.

For me, this started a few years back as stations began updating their streams from mp3.
Maybe. But it seems coincidental that the BBC News Podcast worked yesterday but stopped working today after I received the 2019.16 update.....

YMMV, but two things illustrate the problem to me ... first, connect your Tesla to a hot spot to bypass Tesla's servers and then try the "loading error" Tunein channels in the car - they will likely work, Second, log into Tunein in a web browser and see what the codecs available are. Usually, the introduction of a newer codec that (possibly) Tesla servers/LTE can't handle is seen. Since it won't load, you can't tell which ones Tesla is trying to use, but this started a few years back when many stations started upgrading their streams.I have seen stations come and go as well, again, I believe depending upon which of the streams Tesla is grabbing.

YMMV, but two things illustrate the problem to me ... first, connect your Tesla to a hot spot to bypass Tesla's servers and then try the "loading error" Tunein channels in the car - they will likely work, Second, log into Tunein in a web browser and see what the codecs available are. Usually, the introduction of a newer codec that (possibly) Tesla servers/LTE can't handle is seen. Since it won't load, you can't tell which ones Tesla is trying to use, but this started a few years back when many stations started upgrading their streams.I have seen stations come and go as well, again, I believe depending upon which of the streams Tesla is grabbing.
How does connecting the car to a hot spot bypass Tesla servers? The internet is the internet. The only difference it would make is if the built in LTE card was filtering something out compared to a Wi-Fi hot spot. It still uses the same servers.

The LTE services Tesla provides are routed through their servers, giving them, among other things, the ability to turn service on or off and control bandwidth and content. You may have noticed that although your car is "on" say the AT&T network, the speed and latency are far worse than a regular AT&T LTE data connection on your phone.

It's also a simple test with an LTE hotspot on your phone vs the LTE service in the car, to see that Tunein channels that will not play over Tesla LTE will play just fine via hotspot LTE, in addition to the speed difference of the data service on the same AT&T network.

There is a name for Tesla's back end data service that escapes me right now, but I will see if I can dig it up.

Some additional info about Tesla's setup here:

Hacking a Tesla Model S: What we found and what we learned

TH2.png

"To be clear, the vehicle doesn't actually respond directly on the LTE connection. It VPNs into infrastructure at Tesla and the API servers act as a gateway between the outside world and the vehicle itself.
There was a talk at Defcon about how to hack a Tesla where they go into a lot of detail about the security model. It's pretty robust. The video of the talk should be on YouTube somewhere."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
TuneIn support told me that Tesla doesn’t play .m3u formatted stations. The station I primarily listen to either just started serving that format to TuneIn or something else happened to make it the file format that’s being routed because it suddenly stopped working earlier this week (before I got a firmware update - still failing after).

According to the content provider (WGN), they have multiple formatted streams so TuneIn claims they’re checking to see about getting .m3u off the primary.

Is that the culprit for the other failures?

TuneIn support told me that Tesla doesn’t play .m3u formatted stations. The station I primarily listen to either just started serving that format to TuneIn or something else happened to make it the file format that’s being routed because it suddenly stopped working earlier this week (before I got a firmware update - still failing after).

According to the content provider (WGN), they have multiple formatted streams so TuneIn claims they’re checking to see about getting .m3u off the primary.

Is that the culprit for the other failures?

I think it is, but in a minor miracle this morning, the Tunein stations that have failed with loading errors for the past few years have started working for me. So either Tunein modified the primary streams as you mentioned or Tesla is accepting differently formatted streams now.

Nothing to do with the network tunnel (aka VPN). It possibly has to do with Tesla servers and/or with TuneIn making the primary stream a format that Tesla servers will not pass.

One of the two or both have fixed something as streams that haven't played for me for years are working again. I'm pretty happy about whatever or whoever fixed the problem.

Nothing to do with the network tunnel (aka VPN). It possibly has to do with Tesla servers and/or with TuneIn making the primary stream a format that Tesla servers will not pass.

One of the two or both have fixed something as streams that haven't played for me for years are working again. I'm pretty happy about whatever or whoever fixed the problem.
Awesome news. I'll try mine tomorrow to see if they're fixed. I'm missing BBC News. And Rebel Girls. Do they work for you?