TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TuneIn Radio and the Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PRSIST, May 30, 2018.

1. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

I took a two-month hiatus from TMC and now that I have had my Model 3 for two weeks, I need some feedback on the radio and in particular TuneIn.

After diligently trying to obtain the same channels on my iPhone TuneIn app on my Model 3 with no success, I reached out to TuneIn and Tesla. I heard back from TuneIn but not Tesla.

I'm paraphrasing, but TuneIn said that Tesla is a little weird when it comes to their Model 3 radio and particular TuneIn. TuneIn said that there are channels that come standard on the TuneIn app for the iPhone, but Tesla does not have those same LIVE channels. TuneIn mentioned MSNBC...it is on the iPhone app but not on Tesla and TuneIn has no clue why. TuneIn also said that having Premium makes no difference on the Model 3...In fact the Premium subscription does not work on the Model 3.

So to all of you who are currently driving a 3, are you able to the LIVE channels from TuneIn on your Model 3. NOT Podcasts, LIVE channels?

2. shrike

shrike Member

The only LIVE channel I listen to is Death.fm. I haven't tried any other channel or podcast yet. No problems with it except the few times I've hit an LTE dead spot.

3. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

Starting in November 2017, all kinds of channels disappeared from Tunein in the Tesla via the LTE connection. The LTE connection routes through Tesla servers. All the missing stations (re)appear and work fine when connected to WiFi and they are working in the phone app as well.

Tesla made some change on their backend that dumped a lot of stations, most likely only allowing certain codecs or bitrates, but possibly some other form of omission or blocking.

I've made the rounds to both Tunein and Tesla as well - Tunein has no idea what the problem is, but is aware there is a problem as a number of Tesla owners have been in touch. Tesla has responded to me twice that "they are looking into it", but nothing has ever come of it.

About the same time, Tesla made another change to drop WiFi connections when you shift to or from any gear, so keeping phone hotspot WiFi connected while driving became a real pain.

It's a real annoyance.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1