Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TuneIn Radio and the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a two-month hiatus from TMC and now that I have had my Model 3 for two weeks, I need some feedback on the radio and in particular TuneIn.

After diligently trying to obtain the same channels on my iPhone TuneIn app on my Model 3 with no success, I reached out to TuneIn and Tesla. I heard back from TuneIn but not Tesla.

I'm paraphrasing, but TuneIn said that Tesla is a little weird when it comes to their Model 3 radio and particular TuneIn. TuneIn said that there are channels that come standard on the TuneIn app for the iPhone, but Tesla does not have those same LIVE channels. TuneIn mentioned MSNBC...it is on the iPhone app but not on Tesla and TuneIn has no clue why. TuneIn also said that having Premium makes no difference on the Model 3...In fact the Premium subscription does not work on the Model 3.

So to all of you who are currently driving a 3, are you able to the LIVE channels from TuneIn on your Model 3. NOT Podcasts, LIVE channels?

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
Starting in November 2017, all kinds of channels disappeared from Tunein in the Tesla via the LTE connection. The LTE connection routes through Tesla servers. All the missing stations (re)appear and work fine when connected to WiFi and they are working in the phone app as well.

Tesla made some change on their backend that dumped a lot of stations, most likely only allowing certain codecs or bitrates, but possibly some other form of omission or blocking.

I've made the rounds to both Tunein and Tesla as well - Tunein has no idea what the problem is, but is aware there is a problem as a number of Tesla owners have been in touch. Tesla has responded to me twice that "they are looking into it", but nothing has ever come of it.

About the same time, Tesla made another change to drop WiFi connections when you shift to or from any gear, so keeping phone hotspot WiFi connected while driving became a real pain.

It's a real annoyance.

Has there been any update on this issue?

It's quite frustrating that lots of channels which are plainly available in the Tunein app aren't available in the M3. I certainly won't be paying for Tesla's "premium" connectivity if it's so crippled once the free trial is over.

What??? I just ran down to my Model 3 and there was MSNBC on LTE. What channels are we talking about not being able to receive? I wonder if this has to do with being grandfathered into the internet connection w/o paying the yearly fee...

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: RedModel3
Through Bluetooth, but using infotainment screen instead of the phone itself for controls; right now, the car only recognizes the iTunes music files and not the other media apps such as Audible, iTunes Podcasts, Pandora, etc... any way to access these from the main screen instead of having to go into the iPhone?

Through Bluetooth, but using infotainment screen instead of the phone itself for controls; right now, the car only recognizes the iTunes music files and not the other media apps such as Audible, iTunes Podcasts, Pandora, etc... any way to access these from the main screen instead of having to go into the iPhone?

No. And that is the absolute worst limitation of this car. Wireless CarPlay is the only thing I miss from my 2017 BMW. With it I could easily and safely communicate with my friends and family via messaging, listen to my OWN music easily, listen to my podcasts, picking up where I left off, etc..

GIVE US CARPLAY, TESLA!

Reactions: pipestem
Per @jdw you might be getting it at home because your car is connected to WiFi. Check out his post above.
Or, you might want to check MY post that you are replying to, where I said I was connecting via LTE

No. And that is the absolute worst limitation of this car. Wireless CarPlay is the only thing I miss from my 2017 BMW. With it I could easily and safely communicate with my friends and family via messaging, listen to my OWN music easily, listen to my podcasts, picking up where I left off, etc..

GIVE US CARPLAY, TESLA!
Carplay (which I LOVE in non-Teslas) is quite inferior to the Tesla Navigation and when my phone is connected via Bluetooth I AM able to listen to my music and podcasts (including picking up where I left off in the other car. And I can Hey Siri and have it read my messages or take a message to my contacts. Perhaps they could improve access to your tracks on the car's display, but throwing out what they have and integrating a 3P product seems overkill for easier access to your phone.

On the Model 3 especially it is nice to have it charging in the cradle below the screen. To be able to reference another Maps app for a sanity check when you could be caught in traffic due to a road change or a sports ball game letting out.

-Randy

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: rdlink
Or, you might want to check MY post that you are replying to, where I said I was connecting via LTE

Ack

Carplay (which I LOVE in non-Teslas) is quite inferior to the Tesla Navigation and when my phone is connected via Bluetooth I AM able to listen to my music and podcasts (including picking up where I left off in the other car. And I can Hey Siri and have it read my messages or take a message to my contacts. Perhaps they could improve access to your tracks on the car's display, but throwing out what they have and integrating a 3P product seems overkill for easier access to your phone.

On the Model 3 especially it is nice to have it charging in the cradle below the screen. To be able to reference another Maps app for a sanity check when you could be caught in traffic due to a road change or a sports ball game letting out.

-Randy

Absolute rubbish. There are a number of ways the Tesla nav is far inferior to CarPlay/Apple Maps. First and foremost being that I can't tell the Tesla to navigate to a contact's home via voice. UI 101. Then there is the sensitivity of the Tesla voice command to having to use specific commands. You'd think "Directions to" would be something the Tesla engineers would have put into their voice commands years ago. Finally, traffic info is far superior on Apple Maps.

Hey Siri is not a good option when your phone is locked, and you don't want to have to unlock it while driving down the road.

Nobody is asking Tesla to scrap their interface. My BMW was a perfect example of both the iDrive system and CarPlay being able to live together. I had a choice of using CarPlay, and having access to the apps on my phone, or using the iDrive system and using BMW's navigation, entertainment and communication system (such as it is). CarPlay is nothing more than an app that Tesla could include on their infotainment system to give users a choice.

Reactions: YisSerL
Starting in November 2017, all kinds of channels disappeared from Tunein in the Tesla via the LTE connection. The LTE connection routes through Tesla servers. All the missing stations (re)appear and work fine when connected to WiFi and they are working in the phone app as well.

Tesla made some change on their backend that dumped a lot of stations, most likely only allowing certain codecs or bitrates, but possibly some other form of omission or blocking.

Hmmm I'll have to look into this, I have some custom stations on tunein that works fine on my phone and at home on my sonos. They show up in my car but refused to play for unknown reasons. I'll need to try them again when car is connected to Wifi...this really makes no good sense.

There are SO MANY channels on the Tesla that don't play. I really wanted to listen to the Alameda Fire Department, but nope. I have favorited AM Joy, cause she is so adorable, but when I am on a drive and looking for something to listen to I click it and it says "Cannot Load", grrr.

But many things that say they won't load once or twice work JUST FINE the rest of the time...

-Randy

Reactions: MMBTUS