Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TuneIn Radio and the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What??? I just ran down to my Model 3 and there was MSNBC on LTE. What channels are we talking about not being able to receive? I wonder if this has to do with being grandfathered into the internet connection w/o paying the yearly fee...

-Randy
Randy, Can you possibly take a screen shot of where . you are seeing MSNBC in tune-in? The only way I found to listen to it is thru my iphone version of tune-in. Thanks, Bob

Sure, but all I do is hit the search. button (magnification glass) and type MSNBC

IMG_5440.jpeg
IMG_5441.jpeg

-Randy

I may have mentioned earlier, the old cars are grandfathered into a lifetime of connectivity. The new cars I understand have the option to get that for $100/yr. Is that perhaps part of the issue?

I was on WiFi when I did that, but I regularly listen to my favs (as you see) when I am driving, Is that perhaps part of the issue?

Is it that you can't search in your car, or that when you search for MSNBC you don't see the station result I see?

-Randy

Elon spoke of future cars having a $100 fee to help pay for the full-time cellular connection. Wonder if that's a factor
I completely forgot, everyone gets a year for free, so it won't be until July 1 this year that people will start to see a difference between those with the full service and the reduced service and those of us who are grandfathered in

-Randy

The TuneIn app on the Tesla is strange. To search, you have to have it opened all the way and you'll see "Browse." It's not exactly a "search" feature, but you can choose "Local" "By Location" (for many national and international radio stations), "Most Popular, etc. This is the screen where you can sign in with your TuenIn account (if you have one), but it does not seem to do anything worthwhile. I signed in, expecting to find a display of my "Favorites" from my regular TuneIn account (like on Sonos and iPhone), but nothing changed. It says I'm signed in, but I might as well not be. In fact, you cannot make any radio stream you're listening to a "Favorite" on the Tesla TuneIn interface. Try pressing the little +Heart button to set a favorite, nothing happens and the "Favorites" section (on the left) remains empty. Very strange. They must be able to improve this a little bit, but it never changes.

As of July 2019 the Tunein problem continues, and at least in my case, has gotten worse. I have several stations marked as Favorites that used to work fine, but now don't work. They just give a repeated spinning "loading" icon. Strangely they have been dropping off one-by-one rather than all at once. I note in particular that most NPR stations now refuse to load. This all started about the same time that I had trouble with Tunein on Sonos at home. The difference is that Sonos came out with a software update after about a week that fixed their connection with Tunein.