TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

TuneIn Radio/digital radio in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by pedantique, Apr 16, 2015.

1. pedantique

pedantique Member

I'd love to be able to listen to high quality Australian Broadcasting Corporation radio in my Tesla. The AM radio reception is surprisingly poor--I guess that's what happens with inbuilt aerials. I expected a digital radio but am I right in saying that only the FM band is digital in the Tesla? Is that different if you have the premium audio package (which I do not)?

I have tried to use TuneIn. There are, of course, ABC streams available. Even with a good 3G signal, some stations work and others do not. News Radio works; Radio National and 702 (ABC Local Sydney) do not--the display says that I need wifi for them to work.

Have others had more luck or solutions?

2. Mark E

Mark E Member

I suspect that the DAB hardware is in the car already as the demonstrators had it (with the upgraded sound system), but the interface to it was clunky and so it's been disabled. I listen to 702 using tune in all the time. Sometimes there are issues connecting but often not. If you really get stuck connect to your phone and use the ABC app.

3. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I thought it was just me, I can get ABC Sydney 702 to stream but not ABC Radio National 576 even when connected to Wi Fi.

4. timpoo

timpoo Member

I listen to ABC local radio 774 all the time via Tunein and it works perfectly except for a few known dead spots.

I would recommend giving it another go - and add it as a favourite so it's easy to access.

5. Higgy

Higgy Member

#5 Higgy, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Radio Reception + DAB

I am patiently waiting for some resolution for the radio issues of poor AM reception but more importantly no DAB.

I was originally told that that was available and it certainly was in the cars that I test drove.

I was subsequently told that DAB was disabled as Tesla was unhappy with the radio reception and were looking at some sort of fix.

Has anyone had any recent advice on this issue? Whilst I do use the apps to access these radio stations dab should get a more consistent reception and quality. Additionally there are times where radio station on the Internet inexplicitly fail to connect, a not uncommon occurrence with the Internet.

Cheers
    Higgy

6. Higgy

Higgy Member

Whoops - just started a new thread - should have used this one which I missed somehow!

7. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

I must say I am a little disappointed that Tesla doesn't have DAB. My BMW i3 ONLY has DAB and I couldn't be happier, it works beautifully. DAB is the future, so why would Tesla not embrace it?

But then maybe they see internet radio as the future and I confess I have never tried that.

8. Svenssons

Svenssons Member

DAB was the future 30 years ago and "today" 20 years ago but I will never use DAB. I will use Internet radio and FM radio over DAB every time. DAB is useless for me. A limited technology mostly wanted by the industry and not consumers.

9. Higgy

Higgy Member

Ahaa - a Swedish "red herring". This may be correct for Sweden - somewhat different in Australia.

It is a supported technology in Australia, does deliver a better audio experience than TuneIn or Rdio (as well as faster access when changing channels) was on the test cars, was a promised feature, and a fix was promised.

10. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

DAB+ only works in metropolitan areas in Australia. There were all sorts of promises that it would expand beyond but it has never happened. I'm pretty happy with the Internet Radio just would like some of the non functional stations fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

Moderators note
    Merged threads "TuneIn Radio Digital Radio" and "Radio Reception + DAB"

11. Mark E

Mark E Member

I suggest that you just try the recalcitrant station again. Sometimes I can't get 702 to stream, but trying a few times and all is good. 99% of the time it works flawlessly. I'd also like DAB to work like it did in the demonstrator that I drove though.

12. MangroveMike

MangroveMike Member

Absolutely correct - in Newcastle (6th biggest city in Australia) DAB is as useful as Phil Tufnell against Shane Warne.
    "In the vacuum, no one will hear you scream".

Another reason why I'm glad I don't have an i3 :)

13. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

Ha ha, very funny MangroveMike, thems fighting words.... But I think I'll concede defeat... Touche! :redface: