Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TuneIn Radio/digital radio in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to be able to listen to high quality Australian Broadcasting Corporation radio in my Tesla. The AM radio reception is surprisingly poor--I guess that's what happens with inbuilt aerials. I expected a digital radio but am I right in saying that only the FM band is digital in the Tesla? Is that different if you have the premium audio package (which I do not)?

I have tried to use TuneIn. There are, of course, ABC streams available. Even with a good 3G signal, some stations work and others do not. News Radio works; Radio National and 702 (ABC Local Sydney) do not--the display says that I need wifi for them to work.

Have others had more luck or solutions?

I'd love to be able to listen to high quality Australian Broadcasting Corporation radio in my Tesla. The AM radio reception is surprisingly poor--I guess that's what happens with inbuilt aerials. I expected a digital radio but am I right in saying that only the FM band is digital in the Tesla? Is that different if you have the premium audio package (which I do not)?

I have tried to use TuneIn. There are, of course, ABC streams available. Even with a good 3G signal, some stations work and others do not. News Radio works; Radio National and 702 (ABC Local Sydney) do not--the display says that I need wifi for them to work.

I suspect that the DAB hardware is in the car already as the demonstrators had it (with the upgraded sound system), but the interface to it was clunky and so it's been disabled. I listen to 702 using tune in all the time. Sometimes there are issues connecting but often not. If you really get stuck connect to your phone and use the ABC app.

I thought it was just me, I can get ABC Sydney 702 to stream but not ABC Radio National 576 even when connected to Wi Fi.

I listen to ABC local radio 774 all the time via Tunein and it works perfectly except for a few known dead spots.

I would recommend giving it another go - and add it as a favourite so it's easy to access.

Radio Reception + DAB

I am patiently waiting for some resolution for the radio issues of poor AM reception but more importantly no DAB.

I was originally told that that was available and it certainly was in the cars that I test drove.

I was subsequently told that DAB was disabled as Tesla was unhappy with the radio reception and were looking at some sort of fix.

Has anyone had any recent advice on this issue? Whilst I do use the apps to access these radio stations dab should get a more consistent reception and quality. Additionally there are times where radio station on the Internet inexplicitly fail to connect, a not uncommon occurrence with the Internet.

Cheers
Higgy

Last edited:
I am patiently waiting for some resolution for the radio issues of poor AM reception but more importantly no DAB.

I was originally told that that was available and it certainly wasn’t in the cars that I test drove.

I was subsequently told that DAB was disabled as Tesla was unhappy with the radio reception and were looking at some sort of fix.

Has anyone had any recent advice on this issue? Whilst I do use the apps to access these radio stations dab should get a more consistent reception and quality. Additionally there are times where radio station on the Internet inexplicitly fail to connect, a not uncommon occurrence with the Internet.

Cheers
Higgy

I must say I am a little disappointed that Tesla doesn't have DAB. My BMW i3 ONLY has DAB and I couldn't be happier, it works beautifully. DAB is the future, so why would Tesla not embrace it?

But then maybe they see internet radio as the future and I confess I have never tried that.

DAB was the future 30 years ago and "today" 20 years ago but I will never use DAB. I will use Internet radio and FM radio over DAB every time. DAB is useless for me. A limited technology mostly wanted by the industry and not consumers.

Reactions: doctorwho
DAB was the future 30 years ago and "today" 20 years ago but I will never use DAB. I will use Internet radio and FM radio over DAB every time. DAB is useless for me. A limited technology mostly wanted by the industry and not consumers.

Ahaa - a Swedish "red herring". This may be correct for Sweden - somewhat different in Australia.

It is a supported technology in Australia, does deliver a better audio experience than TuneIn or Rdio (as well as faster access when changing channels) was on the test cars, was a promised feature, and a fix was promised.

DAB+ only works in metropolitan areas in Australia. There were all sorts of promises that it would expand beyond but it has never happened. I'm pretty happy with the Internet Radio just would like some of the non functional stations fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

Moderators note
Merged threads "TuneIn Radio Digital Radio" and "Radio Reception + DAB"

DAB+ only works in metropolitan areas in Australia. There were all sorts of promises that it would expand beyond but it has never happened. I'm pretty happy with the Internet Radio just would like some of the non functional stations fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

Moderators note
Merged threads "TuneIn Radio Digital Radio" and "Radio Reception + DAB"

I suggest that you just try the recalcitrant station again. Sometimes I can't get 702 to stream, but trying a few times and all is good. 99% of the time it works flawlessly. I'd also like DAB to work like it did in the demonstrator that I drove though.

DAB+ only works in metropolitan areas in Australia. There were all sorts of promises that it would expand beyond but it has never happened. I'm pretty happy with the Internet Radio just would like some of the non functional stations fixed
Absolutely correct - in Newcastle (6th biggest city in Australia) DAB is as useful as Phil Tufnell against Shane Warne.
"In the vacuum, no one will hear you scream".

Another reason why I'm glad I don't have an i3 :)

Hi, Is anyone else currently having a problem with ABC AM Radio channels not loading (or looping with the last 30 seconds from about a week ago). AM stations other than ABC are working, but no ABC AM stations are working in our Model X. FM is working and so are other AM stations. However, multiple resets (other than a full factory reset), incl trying wifi etc have failed to get the ABC AM stations working again. We are now trying a transistor radio (feels like 1973!) as Easter on FM and commercial radio just won't be the same!

I must say I am a little disappointed that Tesla doesn't have DAB. My BMW i3 ONLY has DAB and I couldn't be happier, it works beautifully. DAB is the future, so why would Tesla not embrace it?

But then maybe they see internet radio as the future and I confess I have never tried that.

wait, australia only has tiny DAB coverage. what happens if you go out of i.e. Sydney ?

I wrote to TuneIn and they acknowledged that it is a known issue.
ABC Sydney and Radio National started working for me again this evening.
Rachael Maddow still doesn’t work.
Thanks for being on top of it - you do a lot of great work!

Ours working again too. Given the importance of AM radio for emergency alerts during bushfire season, we've decided to leave a small transistor radio in the car from now on (have a medical kit and a torch in the Frunk already). The car's AM radio is not always reliable and if there were a mobile coverage issue (as happened in Tathra when fire took out some base stations/power) having a working radio is important.

(have a medical kit and a torch in the Frunk already

Just bear in mind that the Frunk (Froot!) could be difficult or impossible to open after a crash - which is when you're most likely to need that med kit!

I keep my emergency supplies (sat phone, etc) in the sub-boot - even if the hatch can't be opened it can always be accessed by folding down the seats.

DAB also doesn't work at all outside large cities, and never will as it won't be extended with additional transmitters. Tunein works everywhere that I have 3G reception - almost everywhere. I don't struggle to get ABC or any of the other stations mentioned. One useful thing to do with TuneIn is to create your own account, manage it through your browser so that you can add favourites etc there, then just login to your own account from the car