Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TuneIn Radio Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing that irritates me the most about the Tesla Tune-In app is that it won't refresh the list of podcasts after the first time you access a particular podcast. When you browse into your daily podcast from the Tune-In menu for the first time, it shows you the podcast for that day and the previous 30 (or so) podcasts. When you look up the same podcast the next day, the list is frozen with yesterday's and the previous 30 podcasts. It won't refresh the list with the latest podcasts unless you reboot the console. If you don't reboot, you can't hear the latest podcasts for that program.

I reported this problem both to Tune-In and Tesla almost a year ago. Tune-In says that's something Tesla needs to fix in their app, but it's still not fixed.

I hadn't noticed the frozen list, but I too got fed up and gave up on listening to podcasts via TuneIn because of the issue with not being able to finish an entire podcast. Very frustrating and disappointing. I reported it to Tesla last July and again this Feburary (both the result of long road trips with lots of time to run into the bug). The last guy told me he was going to look into it and get back to me but he didn't. :/

I'm guessing it just isn't a priority for Tesla, but I wish they'd just remove the podcast functionality entirely or not display any that are over 15 minutes rather than delivering a broken feature.

The podcast I listen to most often, consistently stops at exactly 30 minutes of listening. I've never had any podcast stop in less than 30 minutes unless there was loss of signal during my drive. I guess I never really considered it a bug. I just assumed it had something to do with the licensing arrangement Tesla had with TuneIn or deliberately capped it at 30 minutes for some other reason. Regardless, I reported it to Tesla as an annoyance anyway.

Last edited:
We have had the same problem ever since we got our tesla s, 1 1/2 years ago. Three times I brought the car in for this problem of the podcast stopping after 20-30 minutes. It is improbable that exactly 20-30 minutes each time we reach a dead zone. Unlikely because we are always on another route. All 3 times the Tesla tech told me that "he didn't know and that no one else had this problem". Finally called Palo Alto who said that a few people on the east coast has this problem. Ranted and raved and got the tech manager at our service center. He claimed his employees never told him about this problem. Either this is untrue or his staff doesn't talk to him.
So as of today he has promised to fix it. Gave us a loaner and the loaner podcast is doing the same thing.

The podcast I listen to most often, consistently stops at exactly 30 minutes of listening.

Same here.

- - - Updated - - -

So as of today he has promised to fix it. Gave us a loaner and the loaner podcast is doing the same thing.

I would think this is more of a TuneIn problem than a Tesla problem, but am interested in what you find out...

I would think this is more of a TuneIn problem than a Tesla problem, but am interested in what you find out...
Same here. I've had the same problem since I got the car 15 months ago. It's not 30 minutes precisely for me. It's anywhere from a maybe 10 minutes and on that it'll stop. Trying to listen to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is impossible. I've never made it through a whole show.

Not sure if it's Tesla's problem or not, but from a listener view point it makes TuneIn podcasts mostly worthless.

I've had this happen in non-Tesla equipment and it appears to be related to the lease time on the IP-address when you are using DHCP to get the IP-address. It's really annoying when you are watching a movie.

No. It is extremely annoying to have to listen to a debate or music via TuneIn and have to miss frequently bits and pieces of the conversation or the music. I try to listen to RDS and RAI Uno, but sometimes it is hell.

Tesla Service engineers tell me that there is nothing to do about this and that I’ve to try to live with it. This is not why I bought this car with its options.

Does anyone know if 4G would be a solution and when 4G would be available in our cars?

I don't know if this is a consequence of the recent maintenance update or not, but for the first time ever, I was able to listen to a TuneIn podcast for longer than 30 minutes today. It played for a full 33.5 minutes...my entire commute.

I have experienced some improvement by increasing the "Buffer Before Playing" on my iPhone to 30 secs.
My Profile - Settings - Settings - Buffer Before Playing is 3rd from the bottom.
If that setting is in the Model S App it may be worth playing with.