Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tuning" my MR Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen on YouTube and read a few places around here that disconnecting the FR Wheel Speed Sensor will uncork a few extra #hrsprs. Well I've done just that tonight, just for a spin around the local streets, and I'll corroborate it, #HRSPRS!

But lets not stop there. In the review up to disconnection, I did some research to the connectors involved; I really didn't want to break anything.

On Tesla's website, I verified the location here: https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47392

I believe the offending connectors are Molex automotive connector MX150 2 Way Cable Seal Connection System

Mouser Link: https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/276/0340620028_CRIMP_HOUSINGS-698983.pdf

I hope to get a couple mating connectors/pins/sockets and stretch some wire to the cabin and make this "sport mode" accessible.

Of course, I'll do some A/B testing beforehand with an accelerometer to verify the performance increase is worth the effort.

I've seen on YouTube and read a few places around here that disconnecting the FR Wheel Speed Sensor will uncork a few extra #hrsprs. Well I've done just that tonight, just for a spin around the local streets, and I'll corroborate it, #HRSPRS!

I wonder if this would work on the Performance. Also, how much damage, if any, would this cause to the vehicle.

I'm guessing it doesn't "add HP", it wouldn't know the front wheel speed, so it doesn't reduce power to maintain traction... just a guess.

someone develop a switch that can make the car more fun by killing the T/C... like I did with my last Wrangler. (Removing the power to a sensor in the middle of the jeep, killed the stability/traction control). putting power back and restarting the engine fixed it.... so a small button switch later and you can spin doughnuts all day!

Reactions: PoitNarf
I'm guessing it doesn't "add HP", it wouldn't know the front wheel speed, so it doesn't reduce power to maintain traction... just a guess.

someone develop a switch that can make the car more fun by killing the T/C... like I did with my last Wrangler. (Removing the power to a sensor in the middle of the jeep, killed the stability/traction control). putting power back and restarting the engine fixed it.... so a small button switch later and you can spin doughnuts all day!

So, essentially, Track Mode?

• Funny
Reactions: M109Rider

We're getting close on that one ;)

MountainPass
Can you speak to the accuracy of the connector that I've identified? I'd hate to have people misinformed.

Also, have you had a chance to Dyno a MR yet?

No MR dyno yet, we are all snowed in here and just plugging away on new products. We are using CAN for our track mode and retaining ABS, so I can't speak to the accuracy of your connector. We have had a heck of a time finding a certain connector for our track mode setup, despite knowing the brand and part number!

We aren't sure yet, what are you hoping/expecting it to cost? Just curious, as the price will mostly be determined by hardware and labour to assemble.

My guess / hope would also need to be based off the hardware involved. I would hope to pay $20 ;) but expect to pay between 300 and 500. If it was really involved, it could be more. Also, I would need to know everything it could do.

Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see what you guys do.

My guess / hope would also need to be based off the hardware involved. I would hope to pay $20 ;) but expect to pay between 300 and 500. If it was really involved, it could be more. Also, I would need to know everything it could do.

Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see what you guys do.
Thank you! Let's aim for $20 :D

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire