Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turbine wheels now mandatory with P85D - intentional change or design studio glitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you advocate using a summer tyre all year round in the UK?....I have a set of Nokians for winter on my P85 cyclones, and will buy some Sottozeros to go on my P85D turbines. We didn't see a flake of snow last winter.

Doesn't it seem more odd to you, to buy a snow tire with no snow? There has to be a 'cold' tread in this size, that doesn't give up the squirm of a snow?

The recent Business Week article on Elon Musk was interesting in the following area.... in the article the author mentions... Elon was walking thru the Tesla offices and lead Model S designer Frans von Holzhausen (sp?) shows him some newly designed wheels for the S. One week later the P85D has only 21" wheels in the design studio.

When you couple these two data points... Do you think that Tesla may be flushing the old inventory of Turbine 21"s to make room for the new wheels?

This was the first plausible explanation that came to my mind when I first read about this on TMC.

Hopefully turbine 20" rims instead of even turbine 19" rims. I love the look of the 21" rims but going to 20 would open up so many tire choices even winter tires.

The changes in the design studio makes Tesla able to manufacture more cars than before regardless of orders. Remove the possibilities of different options slimline the production.

I've also heard the have had some troubles with suppliers whom were not so big when manufacturing of the S started. Some of the manufacturers has had a hard time scaling up and meeting quality expectations. I hope some of them will be bought or replaced by Tesla themselves.

Textile headliner is gone as well, for now.

Tesla supplier Futuris Automotive inks big lease in Newark - San Francisco Business Times

Futuris whom I think is doing the interior and the seats? Don't know it for sure. They have begone to set up a manufacturing plant close to the Freemont factory!

Saw this at their site. :

North America – Manufacturing facility, Business Development and Design office
- Newark, California: 15,000m2 design and technology centre, manufacturing facility supplying seating and headliners to Tesla Motors.

Currently employer of 200ppl!

Last edited:
Indeed the standard headliner is gone. Now it's white alcantara for free or black which requires the premium interior package.

Thats quite a fail from the employe who made the change.

Free is quite a strong word for something thats minimum about 60 000 dollars

- - - Updated - - -

We're down to only about 1.3million possible combinations. Very slim.

No. Not very slim. But the possibilities of someone ordering all the bells an whistles increases with this setup and will push the ppl who may not have all that money to spend towards the lower models.

Do you have a spreadsheet of your calculations? The autopilot can't be considered an option as its already mounted but will need an update to work as the option says.

No. Not very slim. But the possibilities of someone ordering all the bells an whistles increases with this setup and will push the ppl who may not have all that money to spend towards the lower models.

Do you have a spreadsheet of your calculations? The autopilot can't be considered an option as its already mounted but will need an update to work as the option says.

That's true, didn't think of that, if you take the AutoPilot out of the calculations, you're left with only 501kk hardware configurations.

Eh, screwy calculations, true calculations later on.

Last edited:
This is a horrible policy given tat they had offered the 19" wheel option since January. We test drove with the 21" wheels and felt the ride was too harsh to our liking but the 19" wheels were perfect. It's a shame they are forcing people to get low profile wheels with summer tires when they might live in places unsuitable for these tires.

The irony is that many of us P85D purchasers would have gladly voluntarily spent the extra money on the 21"s if there were a chance they could survive more than a few months on our terrible Eastern Seaboard roads. For some of us, it's not even the costs of the inevitable tire replacements, it's being stranded somewhere for hours while you wait for a flatbed to show up to tow your car to the nearest Tesla facility.

Since the Model S does not come with a spare tire and a thin sidewall tire mounted on a 21" wheel is prone to the type of catastrophic failure that cannot be temporarily fixed with a compressor and sealant when it impacts a deep pothole, this decision by Tesla borders on negligence.

Glad my car is coming with 19"s.

The irony is that many of us P85D purchasers would have gladly voluntarily spent the extra money on the 21"s if there were a chance they could survive more than a few months on our terrible Eastern Seaboard roads. For some of us, it's not even the costs of the inevitable tire replacements, it's being stranded somewhere for hours while you wait for a flatbed to show up to tow your car to the nearest Tesla facility.

Since the Model S does not come with a spare tire and a thin sidewall tire mounted on a 21" wheel is prone to the type of catastrophic failure that cannot be temporarily fixed with a compressor and sealant when it impacts a deep pothole, this decision by Tesla borders on negligence.

Glad my car is coming with 19"s.

Well summarized. I made the change to 19s before I made my first significant road trip. Couldn't imagine driving through the cities, getting some kind of tire/wheel damage on a pothole on the 21s, and having to wait a day or something for a replacement/repair.

So, if I may, the speculation/consensus on reasons for 19" delete on P85D are:
1) "Better" performance from the 21s and need to live up to the performance claims. Without looking at the other threads, can someone confirm that we have seen 3.1s 0-60 times with 19s, 19s with summer, and/or 19s with A/S tires?
2) TM forcing P85D buyers to pay more for the 21s and thus push margins higher. This is huge as they are effectively raising the base price on this model by$4500.
3) TM trying to deplete their supply of 21" turbines to possibly bring in another wheel design/size.

I must admit, I can't believe they would go all-in on the 21s given how much wheel repair and customer angst that the service centers must see; just doesn't seem smart or efficient. Also, reason #3 I believe will ultimately result in the biggest profits as it would entice more buyers to go with the P85D instead of shying away from the price tag and the 21s. Also, you would have a huge amount of pent-up demand from current 19" owners who want something more aggressive/new, without going back to 21s and their inherent problems.

Just to post "the other side of the coin" here, I've had the 21" rims, and live in the NYC metro area and have put on over 14,000 miles on my car in 1.5 years. I've done round trip trips to Chicago, Columbus OH, Burlington VT, Boston, and dozens of trips to the Phila and DC areas... not to mention the rest of the miles in and around where I live.

While I am extremely careful to avoid big potholes, I have hit a few. In Chester, NY, I hit a massive pothole with a fully loaded car, and the car even bottomed out (it was dusk/dark out, and my passengers were distracting me from watching the road carefully). I thought for sure the wheel and tire was going to be toast. I've hit smaller potholes and destroyed rims/tires in other cars, so I know what it's like. But when we got to our destination, there was *no damage* to either the front or rear rims. No bends, no snakebites on the tires, nothing. I still don't know why they escaped any damage, but the 21" rims aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. The can and do survive "more than a few months on Eastern Seaboard roads".

Yes, in the winter, I do swap on 19" rims with A/S tires, but that's just for the bulk of the cold/snow season. The rest of the time, it's 21" rims all the way.

Rather than force people to buy 21's, why not create a 21" promotion? Give people an incentive.
Agreed. If they offered dark 21" staggered wheels at a decent discount in the store, I'd probably buy a set. (My P85D came with 19s.)

- - - Updated - - -

@Max*

Note that some combinations require others. For example, you can't get Executive Seats w/o Cold Weather. IIRC.

Interesting. Do you know specifically what tyres are being delivered on UK cars with 19" wheels?

Nope. As far as I know, orders made since this change haven't been delivered yet.

Why would you advocate using a summer tyre all year round in the UK?

If you go into a tyre fitting shop in the UK and ask for "tyres" you will get summer tyres. Buy nearly any new car here and it will have summer tyres. It's been this way for decades, and for good reason.

Check the weather records and it is obvious why: There are very few weeks with average daytime temperatures below 7°C. In the South you'd be lucky to get even a month where all-season will routinely outperform summer; you'll maybe get a fortnight where winter tyres are not outside their recommended temperature range during the day. Unless you live in the far reaches of Scotland or commute in the middle of the night, summer tyres are optimal here.

Do people buy winter tyres here? Sure. Should they? No, probably not – unless they are going on road trips to Norway, or don't mind doubling their tyre costs for the <1% of days we have significant snowfall.

I find it's kinda fun driving in snow on summer tyres anyway. It's like a rare treat, going out and watching people who don't have the knack for it sliding into things. :biggrin:

@Max*

Note that some combinations require others. For example, you can't get Executive Seats w/o Cold Weather. IIRC.

Didn't realize that, thanks, I'll update. Also the exec seats apparently require the premium interior package..

I think I got the other combinations (black headliner with premium), and executive seats or child seats.

Anything else?

Last edited:
Ah crap, didn't realize that, thanks, I'll update.

I think I got the other combinations (black headliner with premium), and executive seats or child seats.

Anything else?
Let's see...
  • P85D disallows 19" and 19" Cyclone
  • Only 85 non-perf allows RWD
  • "Premium Interior and Lighting" says includes Alcantara headliner, but if you uncheck it you get Alcantara anyway
  • Carbon Fiber Spoiler requires P85D
  • Tesla Red Brake Calipers requires P85D
  • UHFS warns that XM requires the glass roof (not option/$, but configuration difference)
  • Executive Rear Seats requires PI&L and Subzero

Let's see...
  • P85D disallows 19" and 19" Cyclone Got that
  • Only 85 non-perf allows RWD Got that
  • "Premium Interior and Lighting" says includes Alcantara headliner, but if you uncheck it you get Alcantara anyway Only white alcantra anyways, you still pay for black
  • Carbon Fiber Spoiler requires P85D Got that
  • Tesla Red Brake Calipers requires P85D Got that
  • UHFS warns that XM requires the glass roof (not option/$, but configuration difference) Dunno what to do here...
  • Executive Rear Seats requires PI&L and Subzero Screwed that up

70D/85/85DP85D
Motor/Battery31
Paint88
Roof22
Wheels42
Seats77
Dash Trim44
AutoPilot22
SAS22
UHF22
Rear Seats/Cold Weather + Premium/Headliner1414
Calipers
Spoiler

Possibilities:602,112401,408
Total:
So I get 1M configurations, and only 501k hardware combinations.

Last edited: