Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turbines vs. Arachnids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched to see if a thread like this existed but couldn't find one that directly compares the two. I'm curious about those who have owned both - what are your thoughts now that the arachnids have been out a while? Putting aside looks because as we all know they are very subjective, how do you find they compare? I presume almost everyone has gone Turbine to Arachnid and not the other way around. I'm mostly curious about noticeable changes in:

- Efficiency
- Ride Comfort
- Performance
- Durability (anyone get a bent/cracked arachnid yet?)
- Anything else
- Mandatory staggering an issue? (Square setup seems much better to me)
- Tire wear

I know technically and theoretically the arachnids should outperform in all aspects given they are forged and lighter weight. But sometimes that doesn't really translate into real life. All thoughts welcome.

Seems like ride and acceleration are better, but I could be seeing what I want to rather than an actual difference. I bought a second set just in case of future damage and limited availability, but so far so good. I like the staggered set as my tire wear front to rear has been equal over 22000 miles. Really like the wider spoke gaps for cleaning the inside of the rims.

One would think the lighter Arachnids provide not only better ride (less unsprung weight), but perceptibly quicker acceleration and nimbler handling as well. This is exactly what I experienced from similar wheel swaps on a couple of cars pre-Tesla days.

But personally prefer the "look" of the Turbines. It just seems more High Class style, imho.

I searched to see if a thread like this existed but couldn't find one that directly compares the two. I'm curious about those who have owned both - what are your thoughts now that the arachnids have been out a while? Putting aside looks because as we all know they are very subjective, how do you find they compare? I presume almost everyone has gone Turbine to Arachnid and not the other way around. I'm mostly curious about noticeable changes in:

- Efficiency
- Ride Comfort
- Performance
- Durability (anyone get a bent/cracked arachnid yet?)
- Anything else
- Mandatory staggering an issue? (Square setup seems much better to me)
- Tire wear

I know technically and theoretically the arachnids should outperform in all aspects given they are forged and lighter weight. But sometimes that doesn't really translate into real life. All thoughts welcome.

OK, let's do this.
- Efficiency = MUCH BETTER ALMOST SLIPSTREAM LIKE
- Ride Comfort = SAME
- Performance = BETTER PARTICULARLY OFF THE LINE SUPRISINGLY
- Durability (anyone get a bent/cracked arachnid yet?) = BETTER, I HAVEN'T BENT AN ARACHNID, BUT I HAVE BENT AND REPLACED SOME TURBINES.
- Anything else = NOISE IS DIFFERENT THAN TURBINES AT DIFFERENT SPEEDS, BUT OVERALL THEY ARE BETTER IN ALMOST EVERYWAY EXCEPT LOOKS PERHAPS
- Mandatory staggering an issue? (Square setup seems much better to me) = I AGREE, GETTING SOME SQUARE ARACHNIDS WOULD BE SUPER EFFICIENT.
- Tire wear = SEEMS FINE TO ME BUT HARD TO COMPARE.

PFFFFT Turbines and Arachnids are lame.

You need these:

1TGB.gif

I've yet to see actual specific testing to prove that the Arachnids provide all of the things referenced in this thread. (longer range, faster acceleration, etc).
Yes, lighter unsprung weight in theory should result in better performance, but ive not seen specific technical data to say that there is much difference in going from one 21" that Tesla offers to another 21" that Tesla offers

I've had both Turbines and Arachnids on our our 2015 P85D+

IMHO:

- Efficiency: ~ 350 wh/mi for both
- Ride Comfort: Arachnids actually ride better with our Plus Suspension. Less harsh over sharp bumps
- Performance: Arachnids FEEL faster and HANDLE better
- Durability (anyone get a bent/cracked Arachnid yet?): Turbines definitely more susceptible to cracking than Arachnids from what I've read. I've never bent or cracked either though
- Anything else: Nobody ever made any comments about my Turbines. I frequently get compliments on my Arachnids
- Mandatory staggering an issue?: I had square Turbines and now have staggered Arachnids. Staggered feels more planted
- Tire wear: Arachnids with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires wear better and are more durable than the Continental ContiSportContacts that came with my Tesla. I had at least 4 flats and 2 sidewall failures with the Contis... and only 1 with the Michelins (HUGE pothole covered in water in downpour).

My vote: Arachnids Aracsolutely (pun intended)

fullsizeoutput_158e.jpeg

I5xCE9mfQUyBjK372yeL8w_thumb_3fe9.jpg