TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Turbines vs. Arachnids

Discussion in 'Model S' started by nybw51mr42, Aug 14, 2018.

1. nybw51mr42

nybw51mr42 Member

I searched to see if a thread like this existed but couldn't find one that directly compares the two. I'm curious about those who have owned both - what are your thoughts now that the arachnids have been out a while? Putting aside looks because as we all know they are very subjective, how do you find they compare? I presume almost everyone has gone Turbine to Arachnid and not the other way around. I'm mostly curious about noticeable changes in:

- Efficiency
    - Ride Comfort
    - Performance
    - Durability (anyone get a bent/cracked arachnid yet?)
    - Anything else
    - Mandatory staggering an issue? (Square setup seems much better to me)
    - Tire wear

I know technically and theoretically the arachnids should outperform in all aspects given they are forged and lighter weight. But sometimes that doesn't really translate into real life. All thoughts welcome.

2. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Seems like ride and acceleration are better, but I could be seeing what I want to rather than an actual difference. I bought a second set just in case of future damage and limited availability, but so far so good. I like the staggered set as my tire wear front to rear has been equal over 22000 miles. Really like the wider spoke gaps for cleaning the inside of the rims.

• Like x 1
  3. nybw51mr42

nybw51mr42 Member

Interesting on the equal wear over 22k miles. And glad to hear no issues on those 22k miles. Seems like it's hard to get that far on Turbines sometimes.

4. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Had about 17000 on turbines before I switched to the Arachnids a year ago. Equal wear on both.

5. mrbulk

mrbulk Member

One would think the lighter Arachnids provide not only better ride (less unsprung weight), but perceptibly quicker acceleration and nimbler handling as well. This is exactly what I experienced from similar wheel swaps on a couple of cars pre-Tesla days.

But personally prefer the "look" of the Turbines. It just seems more High Class style, imho.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. badboy1980

badboy1980 Member

I have had both. The arachnids are way better for the following reasons;

Look better.

Provide better efficiency.

Better handling.

Tire ware seems to be the same and similarly with road noise.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

Agree with all above @bishoppeak you should consider replacing with PS4S when time has come, longer life and better handling/accel.

8. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Since I've got 2 complete sets, and the original turbines with half the tread remaining on them, I suspect I'll run out of years before I run out of tires!

9. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

lol

10. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

OK, let's do this.
    - Efficiency = MUCH BETTER ALMOST SLIPSTREAM LIKE
    - Ride Comfort = SAME
    - Performance = BETTER PARTICULARLY OFF THE LINE SUPRISINGLY
    - Durability (anyone get a bent/cracked arachnid yet?) = BETTER, I HAVEN'T BENT AN ARACHNID, BUT I HAVE BENT AND REPLACED SOME TURBINES.
    - Anything else = NOISE IS DIFFERENT THAN TURBINES AT DIFFERENT SPEEDS, BUT OVERALL THEY ARE BETTER IN ALMOST EVERYWAY EXCEPT LOOKS PERHAPS
    - Mandatory staggering an issue? (Square setup seems much better to me) = I AGREE, GETTING SOME SQUARE ARACHNIDS WOULD BE SUPER EFFICIENT.
    - Tire wear = SEEMS FINE TO ME BUT HARD TO COMPARE.

• Informative x 2
  11. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

PFFFFT Turbines and Arachnids are lame.

You need these:

[​IMG]

• Funny x 2