Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turbo Tax still claims EV credit

WADan

Sep 28, 2020
Bellevue WA
Please note that “credit” only offset the tax owed, so it’s zero if you don’t owe any tax.
I was using step-by-step process, and the software asked if I bought an EV (which I filled out the information). It then claims the $7500 credit.
Regardless, there is no more tax credit for Tesla (for a while now), so the software is incorrect!

frankvb

Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
I remember TurboTax used to ask which brand of EV you bought (when I claimed the credit for a new Leaf bought in 2018). This year I didn't even try to go there, bought the Y in 2020.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC