Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turkey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after more than a year since I started this thread we know for sure that Tesla will establish itself soon in Turkey. Their expansion in Northwestern Europe was more rapid than I expected and I am impressed. As a Turkish Tesla enthusiast who can't wait to get a Tesla here in the country with the extreme fuel prices, I am stoked to see 9 superchargers planned in Turkey by the end of 2016 and one by the end of next year.

As an Apple enthusiast alongside my Tesla love, I saw Apple's initiation officially in the country besides the certified resellers just a couple years ago that resulted with Apple launching their iTunes Music Stores, Online Apple Store and their first ever Turkish Apple Store. The way they went about with that was "green field venture" so they started almost from scratch gathering up talents, hiring and researching key people, looking up locations, doing analysis etc. So they had a lot of work to do before they did the grand opening of their Istanbul Apple Store. (took them more than a year)

So with only a month left in 2014, and the map showing one supercharger in Istanbul by 2015, shouldn't Tesla start their operations here already? Still no rumours (not that Tesla rumour mill is as big as Apple's) haven't seen any job applications regarding Tesla nor anyone speculated a store location. I saw in one Turkish website and this guy said they were just opening a supercharger in Istanbul so people could travel there, supercharger didn't mean store and official sales, service, representation etc.

What do you guys think? Will we see something like that soon enough?

As I've mentioned in my original post Tesla has a great advantage here. ICE cars have extreme taxing here (below 1.6cc 45%, 1.6-2.0 90% and above 2.0liter engines 145%(!)) With electric vehicles though the biggest tax rate is 15%. So in countries with reasonable taxing you can get an M5 for 100,000 euros, but in Turkey it sets you back 260K euros. If Tesla were to start sales here, Model S p85D would probably cost like 110K euros at most so this means rich Turkish people (there are a lot of them) can get a car which is the equivalent of an M5 if not better for less than half the price. Plus with an EV you don't pay the yearly tax which is on average 1K euros a year. Considering a base model BMW 520d costs 80K euros here I'm thinking Teslas will sell like hotcakes. (just like it did in Scandinavia) In fact because our government is sheer evil they probably will come out with a special tax for EVs that will put Tesla's price up there with others. Because if not, after the Model 3 launch Tesla's factories will only produce cars for Turkey, the demand will be that great.
i am all for tesla expansion. i wonder if they will encounter resistance in Turkey. friends just returned and reported a lot of anti american sentiment in the capital. blatant anti american sentiment, not directed toward them but directed toward others. obviously a small sample but with unrest near their borders an american company assets could be easy target

i am all for tesla expansion. i wonder if they will encounter resistance in Turkey. friends just returned and reported a lot of anti american sentiment in the capital. blatant anti american sentiment, not directed toward them but directed toward others. obviously a small sample but with unrest near their borders an american company assets could be easy target

I live in turkey and I haven't seen / heard / stumbled upon / experienced anything of that sort. Apple launched two of their stores with lines, iPhone 6 launch also with huge lines. I don't think there is anything against americans here.

Voicing disagreement with american (foreign) policy doesn't make one an anti-american. You will see this in most Arab countries as well, people love american culture and americans, especially when they make the effort to come to the country, but will have very strong views against american engagement in the middle east for example.

Voicing disagreement with american (foreign) policy doesn't make one an anti-american. You will see this in most Arab countries as well, people love american culture and americans, especially when they make the effort to come to the country, but will have very strong views against american engagement in the middle east for example.
No was quoting comments about appearance weight etc. not foreign policy

In this case, I think Tesla assets would be really really safe in Turkey with regards to anti-obesity activists!

- - - Updated - - -

On a more serious note, Tesla expansion in non-western countries would be a formidably positive publicity tool for the US in general, cool, high tech, world-changing in a good way. On the other hand, Teslas are still luxury items, even more so in (most of) those countries, so the potential opinion-changing effects will be much more pronounced when Model 3 (or 4) comes.

Tesla's Supercharger 2015 map shows a corridor from Zagreb to Istanbul; the 2016 map shows a "ring road" in western Turkey from Istanbul to Ankara, Konya, Antalya, Izmir, and Bursa (my guesses). All of that points to an expansion into Turkey sometime late this year.

The EU map for 2016 is not new, just FYI. I posted about this previously in the thread... I was hoping the thread title would get changed at that point since it was pretty much no longer a question of if, but rather when.

This was done back a good couple months ago when previously the EU map only had date for like 2014 information only. So they went ahead and threw in 2015 and 2016 and it was the first map to get data out that far.

Anyway, maybe you can speak to your moderator buddies and have one of them update the title with the good news :D

So with Tesla kind of announcing they'll set up shop in Turkey within 2015 with their updated Europe supercharger map a few months ago, I'm pretty excited with the possibilities of Turkey becoming 2nd Norway of Tesla market. (high gas prices, lots of luxurious cars, EVs having 15% tax instead of 45% 90% or 145% tax depending on engine size for ICEs before 18% VAT (!!!))

Without even Tesla setting up shop in Turkey there already are more than a handful of Model S' here. Here's one I took last Sunday in Istanbul;
IMG_4805.jpg

I've seen at least two more and have seen a couple of re-sellers that have imported them somehow for extreme premiums. Considering the recent insurance issue with a minor accident and the car rated totalled by the insurance company, it is really brave to buy a Model S here with no body shops, service centres or anyone to do annual service.

I also have a website; TeslaTurk.com for any kind of EV or Tesla enthusiast Turkish people to follow up on the updates. Are there any Turkish Tesla owners in this forum by any chance?

Thanks for that photo. I hadn't realized that Turkey was that kind of market. In fairness I knew almost nothing about the current market of Turkey in general, so it isn't like I had a lot to form an opinion, but your observations along with the details really makes me happy. Since Turkey is part of Asia, does that mean that when Tesla had talked previously about Asia being 1/3 of their market share it included Turkey in that outlook? Since the environment/culture in that part of the world strikes me as more of a European type area (I really hope you don't take offense to that statement and association with Europe... just call me a crazy ill-informed American, haha!)

Hi this is Mehnet from Istanbul
/Turkey
I can tell for myself i am biggest one of Tesla fan in Turkey.
Last year I was thinkg to buy model s p85 but I worried about warranty (because we dont have any Tesla store yet) and other things such as spare parts, service etc...
But I am happy because when Tesla officialy came, I will buy P85 D !
So I am waiting impatiently for to come Tesla to Turkey.

- - - Updated - - -

/Turkey
Last year I was thinkg to buy model s p85 but I worried about warranty (because we dont have any Tesla store yet) and other things such as spare parts, service etc...

My name is Mehmet by the way :)

/Turkey

- - - Updated - - -

My name is Mehmet by the way :)

Haha! I think there are many of us out there contesting for #1 Fan of Tesla :D

I hope for your sake that they open a store soon!

Thanks for that photo. I hadn't realized that Turkey was that kind of market. In fairness I knew almost nothing about the current market of Turkey in general, so it isn't like I had a lot to form an opinion, but your observations along with the details really makes me happy. Since Turkey is part of Asia, does that mean that when Tesla had talked previously about Asia being 1/3 of their market share it included Turkey in that outlook? Since the environment/culture in that part of the world strikes me as more of a European type area (I really hope you don't take offense to that statement and association with Europe... just call me a crazy ill-informed American, haha!)

Why would I get offended? Haha. Borders are just there for politics and I consider myself a world citizen, always viewed die hard nationalism trivial.

Anyway back to your question, I'd assume Tesla seeing Turkey as part of their Eastern European market because of its location. It's much farther away from big Asian cities yet a drive to Sofia(capital of Bulgaria) from Turkey can take as little as 4 hours. You can drive to Igoumenitsa / Greece in less than a day and take a ferry to Italy. Also here's a link from the most popular car sales site in Turkey;

Satılık Tesla Elektrikli Otomobil İlanları ve Fiyatları sahibinden.comda

You can see some people who have the necessary capital and the importing experience have imported a few Model S', including a P85D (must be the first in Europe) and they're selling them on extreme premiums. That photo isn't the first time I've spotted a Model S in the streets of Istanbul. I have seen one other 3 months ago and I know there are more of them from various photos on instagram. There are around 10 Model S' without any Tesla engineers present, no EV infrastructure, bodyshops or anything.

I've explained the tax advantage of EVs with my previous post but when Tesla sets up shop in Turkey and starts officially, I expect a raise to EV taxes from the Turkish government side. They just wouldn't allow it to gain traction and get popular. Here's why;

Turkey has a tax problem. They just can't collect taxes the way they should from businesses so we have this thing called indirect taxing as a "solution". They are the most for gas, cars and alcoholic drinks(most expensive three things in Turkey). So when buying an ICE car you pay 45%, 90% or 145%(15% with EVs) tax called the "special consumption tax"(cars are so special right?), depending on your ICE size. (1.2-1.6L, 1.6-2.0 litres, 2.0L and above) After that taxing over the sum you pay the regular 18% VAT and you pay this "Engined Vehicle Tax"(MTV in Turkish) every six months depending on your cars engine size. Besides, gas is really expensive and the reason for it is 70% of a liter of petrol's price is tax(converted to American it is $15 a gallon of unleaded, after the dramatic decrease in a barrel of petrol's price) . That is why a BMW M5 costs 300K USD and a maxed out P85D with all taxes paid imported from Europe costs ~170K USD. Heck a BMW 525d xDrive costs ~the same as a S85D which runs on electric and has much better performance than a 2 litre diesel. Still, despite all these lunatic taxes and prices luxury car sales in Turkey are doing pretty good. It is very common to spot BMW 5 series, Mercedes E Class, Audi A6 series etc. People ought to go crazy on Teslas when they initiate in the market on current conditions, a possible second Norway, unless the government does the usual and decides to be a dick. (which they probably will)

So if you buy a Tesla(or an EV), you pay mush less initial tax, no periodic tax and the gvmt can't collect tax from petrol in the long term because you don't buy any. If EVs start getting really popular they "have" to increase the taxing on EV vehicles whereas the rest of the world is giving tax credits because budget will have a big problem long term and also, well because it is Turkey and that is how things are done.

There you go, that is turkey 101 for you right there, hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Turkey Market 101! These dynamics are quite interesting. I thought politics here in the US was complicated. I figure at some point all around the world we will see taxes go up on EVs. It is just that many of the top countries (by GDP) have signed agreements that it is our fault that we screwed up the world (which it largely is... I don't deny this) and that we have an obligation to fix it as best we can. I think that is why you see so many countries trying to do what they can to incentivise change. But it is a complex issue, because oil is a big part of the market (many markets are impacted by oil... and lots of wealth trades hands over that one chemical and as the results of products that require that chemical). So it won't surprise me if, as countries stop fighting wars over the control of oil, we shift to wars over fighting for remaining to depend on oil. Because some countries that isn't just their primary wealth... but their *only* wealth.

Anyway. I hope we see a massive growth for Tesla in Turkey. If the taxes remain the same, seems like it would easily be like Norway since you get half the price for a Tesla over similar competition.

Hi! Greeting from Turkey :) . This is my first post on this forum.
I was wondering if it is possible to order a Tesla officially from Tesla's official web site and they ship it to Turkey (Istanbul) or do I have to order it via a (Authorized?) car seller?
According to http://www.sahibinden.com/elektrikli-araclar-elektrikli-otomobil-tesla, as previously posted by "emir-t", a car seller is ordering the car for you. I have checked the price for it on 29.01.2015, it was €135.000 (~ $152.888 as of 30.01.2015) and now (30.01.2015) it is listed for €145.000 (~ $164.135 as of 30.01.2015). I'm pretty sure this price will rise soon, so, is it possible to buy the car officially from Tesla Motors?

This is a follow-up to my last post.
With all options selected except winter tires, the car costs €105.000. As far as I know, this will rise to about €120.000 - €125.000 if you take taxes and transportation into account. So, I guess the sellers put about €20.000 profit for themselves, right?
Some even try to sell it for about €185.000, which is ridiculous.

This is a follow-up to my last post.
With all options selected except winter tires, the car costs €105.000. As far as I know, this will rise to about €120.000 - €125.000 if you take taxes and transportation into account. So, I guess the sellers put about €20.000 profit for themselves, right?
Some even try to sell it for about €185.000, which is ridiculous.

When I maxed everything out it turned out to be; 110K euros. Add that the 15% Special consumption tax (ÖTV) which is 16,5K euros. On top of total which is 126,5K Euros you add VAT (KDV) 18% and the total ends up at 150K Euros. So yes, selling them for a 35K Euro profit is insane but so is importing an unsupported, unknown, very expensive and not so prone to possible errors car let alone buying one.

However when/if Tesla starts selling in Turkey, their top spec most expensive car will cost 25% less than the entry level BMW 730d (a diesel, with little engine size) or around the same price as a 535d xDrive. I expect a boom but you never know the approach of rich Turkish people to Tesla and EVs. They will need to show what the car is capable of.

When I maxed everything out it turned out to be; 110K euros. Add that the 15% Special consumption tax (ÖTV) which is 16,5K euros. On top of total which is 126,5K Euros you add VAT (KDV) 18% and the total ends up at 150K Euros. So yes, selling them for a 35K Euro profit is insane but so is importing an unsupported, unknown, very expensive and not so prone to possible errors car let alone buying one.

However when/if Tesla starts selling in Turkey, their top spec most expensive car will cost 25% less than the entry level BMW 730d (a diesel, with little engine size) or around the same price as a 535d xDrive. I expect a boom but you never know the approach of rich Turkish people to Tesla and EVs. They will need to show what the car is capable of.

I checked your web-site and saw that you have already talked with a Tesla representative. I saw that the car's 8 year warranty is cancelled upon entering Turkey. Do you have any idea if that would still be the case when Tesla launches the first Tesla Supercharging station in Istanbul in 2015? Would launching a Tesla Supercharging station in Turkey mean that we can purchase a Tesla and not worry about its warranty being cancelled?