TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Turn by turn navi using phone instead of car.

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Cashoverass, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Cashoverass

Cashoverass Member

Mar 23, 2013
    United States
    I did some searching for this because I cant believe no one has asked this but I couldn't find anything.

Seems like there can be a lot of connectivity between an android phone with bluetooth and wifi and NFC etc. etc.

Is there a way to use the navi from my phone through the car? Ideally, I'd like to "transfer" the screen from my phone onto the screen in the car. So when I have my navi running on my phone, I can view/control that from the car. I know there are apps now a days that let you use your phone as an additional monitor (like slidescreen on android) so I don't think my idea is far fetched.

I suppose I would settle for sending the audio/navi instructions via bluetooth through the car.

Also, somewhat related question. Aside from $3,700, what's the difference in the navigation between the standard and the tech package? is there extra hardware that goes into the tech package that allows turn by turn to work? Or is the soft ware different
  2. dbullard

dbullard Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I use Navigon and Waze on my iPhone - they both work well over Bluetooth for voice instructions. However, at this time, there is no way to use the Tesla's screen as a remote display. I, too, would like that, as I like the Navigon display (and Waze's, for that matter) better than the Google Maps.

One really good thing about using your phone like this, is that if you go out of cell phone coverage areas, you still have maps stored on your phone (at least with Navigon).

The tech package is supposed to eventually have maps stored in the car, to prevent the scenario above - it really sucks when your map suddenly goes blank.
  3. hikerockies

hikerockies Member

Mar 1, 2013