Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn off audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my first Tesla yesterday, an SR Model 3. So sorry for newbie questions I ask.

On most cars turning the radio on and off is very simple. Not so the Tesla. Well, I turned it on, and was listening to the radio while trying to figure out some things on the car. But later, I could not figure out how to turn it off! How does one turn off audio on Teslas? Thanks in advance.

Just put it on phone as the audio source. Unless you already have something playing on the phone it'll go silent.

I tried using radio and the streaming today and both were such low quality that even the bluetooth from the phone sounded OK by comparison.

We need high quality streaming in our cars, what we have is garbage that sounds worse than AM radio.

I want my 2018 Model X to never turn on the audio - unless I ask it to. And I don't want the audio screen
to show up when I haven't asked for audio. Ever. I don't think I should have to turn it off (no matter how)
every time I get in the car. Most of the time I do not want any sound from any source.
- Jim in the PNW

Reactions: doghousePVD
Does lowering the volume to zero in your X not keep it there? If I do that in my 3, it will stay that way until I turn it back up, even across multiple drive cycles. Pressing the scroll wheel only pauses what's currently playing, and it will sometimes (always?) resume on the next drive.

Does lowering the volume to zero in your X not keep it there? If I do that in my 3, it will stay that way until I turn it back up, even across multiple drive cycles. Pressing the scroll wheel only pauses what's currently playing, and it will sometimes (always?) resume on the next drive.
My experience is that I can not, ever, go back to the car without it showing some part of the audio
screen. I have a 2018 MX100D that has the great - large - screen built in to the dash. Even though
the screen is large I still don't want to loose real estate to an app I'm not using.
I use the audio in the car -perhaps- one out of ten trips. Yes, I can swipe the part of the screen
that has the audio display and recover the rest of the screen. I just don't like having to do that.
It is an -annoyance- that I don't think should be there.
I'm not sure but I think that "whenever I put the car into Park" the audio screen will come up
again.
Similarly, I rarely use the console screen for any form of "entertainment" such as the web, movies,
etc.
===> I -drive- my car and want it to come up to that every time I start to use it. It's a car - not a "device".
- Jim in the PNW

When I hit stop on the audio screen and then switch to something else the audio controls go away, at least when I'm using Tidal. If I shut the other screen I get just the map filling that entire section. But my guess is that it doesn't always work that way with the other apps.

I got my first Tesla yesterday, an SR Model 3. So sorry for newbie questions I ask.

On most cars turning the radio on and off is very simple. Not so the Tesla. Well, I turned it on, and was listening to the radio while trying to figure out some things on the car. But later, I could not figure out how to turn it off! How does one turn off audio on Teslas? Thanks in advance.
As others note, just press the left steering wheel button (you dont need to turn the volume down).