Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn off Automatic Door at Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a 2018 thread on this feature without a resolution so thought my problem might be time to start a new one.
Just took delivery on 2022 MX. Love the automatic door feature when out shopping etc.

But I need it disabled at home. Like Sentry is excluded at home. Or Walk Away Lock excluded at home.

Whenever I drive into the garage with my M3, the MX parked alongside, opens the driver door. My phone is paired to both cars (I drive both cars).
Also we use the garage as main entry/exist. Walk between the cars to get the mail, with phone in pocket, the door opens, in the garage.

Any solution out there to stop this feature, at home only like Sentry and WAL?

Not familiar with the Phone Key feature on the newer MX, because my MX only has the key fob. Does the phone open the driver side door even if you are at the passenger side? I know the key fob doesn't. So you could just swap your cars parking position. The middle would be the passenger side of the X and driver side of the 3. That way the X's driver door won't open when you walk between the cars.

Another option is to leave a X key fob in the car (if your MX came with one). From experience, I know that if my wife is in the MX with her key fob in her purse, I could walk to the driver side with my key fob and the door won't open. But it is probably not a good option as it could drain the key fob battery and may prevent the car from going to sleep. Also you car cannot be locked.

Not familiar with the Phone Key feature on the newer MX, because my MX only has the key fob. Does the phone open the driver side door even if you are at the passenger side? I know the key fob doesn't. So you could just swap your cars parking position. The middle would be the passenger side of the X and driver side of the 3. That way the X's driver door won't open when you walk between the cars.

Another option is to leave a X key fob in the car (if your MX came with one). From experience, I know that if my wife is in the MX with her key fob in her purse, I could walk to the driver side with my key fob and the door won't open. But it is probably not a good option as it could drain the key fob battery and may prevent the car from going to sleep. Also you car cannot be locked.
The phone will open the passenger door if you are on the passenger side. The driver door will not auto open.
I cannot switch the car spots in the garage, due to length limitations.

But still, I walk by the X grabbing a tool, taking out the trash, or just to step outside and wham, the door pops open.
Great, great feature in public. Sucks at home, even on driveway. It just needs to exclude at home like Sentry and WAL have. Cannot believe this has been overlooked all these years (and S has similar issue with handles presenting but not nearly as intrusive and dangerous)

The phone will open the passenger door if you are on the passenger side. The driver door will not auto open.
I cannot switch the car spots in the garage, due to length limitations.

But still, I walk by the X grabbing a tool, taking out the trash, or just to step outside and wham, the door pops open.
Great, great feature in public. Sucks at home, even on driveway. It just needs to exclude at home like Sentry and WAL have. Cannot believe this has been overlooked all these years (and S has similar issue with handles presenting but not nearly as intrusive and dangerous)
Oh, the new MX opens passenger's door for you as well as driver side door? Fancy LOL. In that case, it would super annoying to me. I guess you just have to stop carrying your phone on you when you go out to get mail or something!

Oh, the new MX opens passenger's door for you as well as driver side door? Fancy LOL. In that case, it would super annoying to me. I guess you just have to stop carrying your phone on you when you go out to get mail or something!
Perhaps I wasn't clear. If I am on the driver's side, only the driver's door open. If I am on passenger side, only that door. Yeah, if I go to get something or nearby working in the garage, I am not supposed to have my phone? That's crazy. But how do I not have my phone with me in the M3 when I pull into the garage along side MX? How can Tesla have not implemented that before? Even the keyfob (before phone implementation in the X) would have surfaced this issue for any one that owns another Tesla and had the keyfob with them.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. If I am on the driver's side, only the driver's door open. If I am on passenger side, only that door. Yeah, if I go to get something or nearby working in the garage, I am not supposed to have my phone? That's crazy. But how do I not have my phone with me in the M3 when I pull into the garage along side MX? How can Tesla have not implemented that before? Even the keyfob (before phone implementation in the X) would have surfaced this issue for any one that owns another Tesla and had the keyfob with them.
If you are pulling in your garage in the Model 3, do you not have your phone with the 3 selected in the app? If the 3 is selected in the app, it will not unlock or activate anything on the X.

If you are pulling in your garage in the Model 3, do you not have your phone with the 3 selected in the app? If the 3 is selected in the app, it will not unlock or activate anything on the X.
Both cars are on the same account. Notifications can be set up by car per phone. Granted the cars can be put on different accounts, that cannot be done yet due to the free SuperCharger miles grandfathered in. The to drive the X, I would have to log out of the 3, and log into the X with other account credentials. That's a nuisance, a terrible workaround.

Furthermore, the problem still exists. One of us will walk by the X and the door will open, in the garage. The exclude option is the correct solution, overlooked by Tesla.

Not a fix, but my workaround is to swipe down from the top right of my iPhone to reveal the control center, and temporarily turn off Bluetooth (press the BT button inside control center). By doing it this way, Bluetooth will remain connected to other apple devices ie Apple Watch and Airplay, but will terminate connection to third party Bluetooth like the Tesla. It resets at 5 am every day to turn back on, or you can manually turn it back on via control center. This is how I temp disable the auto present doors.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj

My X (Raven) would not sleep properly if the Fob was left in it. Fob would not be a problem.

Not a fix, but my workaround is to swipe down from the top right of my iPhone to reveal the control center, and temporarily turn off Bluetooth (press the BT button inside control center). By doing it this way, Bluetooth will remain connected to other apple devices ie Apple Watch and Airplay, but will terminate connection to third party Bluetooth like the Tesla. It resets at 5 am every day to turn back on, or you can manually turn it back on via control center. This is how I temp disable the auto present doors.
Helpful a bit but doesnt solve the door opening on the MX when I drive the M3 into the garage.

Helpful a bit but doesnt solve the door opening on the MX when I drive the M3 into the garage.
Before they updated the app a year or 2 ago, it would have worked better for you to just swipe your screen to the M3. Because before they updated the app if my app screen was last on Tesla 1, it won't open the door for Tesla 2. The update worked great for me as I always seem to left it on my wife's car when I tried to open the door of my car. But in your case, you would have like it better the old way.

Reactions: golferguy
Spoke to service manager at local service center. He said he has seen the behavior and it is annoying. Suggested as many of us as possible write to [email protected] and maybe if enough folks write for exclude option, they could implement it. He said that's the only way to get Tesla's attention, or tweet to Elon. That's customer service I guess.

Saw a 2018 thread on this feature without a resolution so thought my problem might be time to start a new one.
Just took delivery on 2022 MX. Love the automatic door feature when out shopping etc.

But I need it disabled at home. Like Sentry is excluded at home. Or Walk Away Lock excluded at home.

Whenever I drive into the garage with my M3, the MX parked alongside, opens the driver door. My phone is paired to both cars (I drive both cars).
Also we use the garage as main entry/exist. Walk between the cars to get the mail, with phone in pocket, the door opens, in the garage.

Any solution out there to stop this feature, at home only like Sentry and WAL?
Just wanted to let you know of an incident I had with my Tesla Model 3. While backing into my garage, the Tesla activated my garage door and it came down just in time for the car to back into it, causing damage to both the car and the garage door. I have since deactivated the automatic opening and closing feature to avoid this type of incident again. I believe this feature needs some kind of updating or totally removed.

Just wanted to let you know of an incident I had with my Tesla Model 3. While backing into my garage, the Tesla activated my garage door and it came down just in time for the car to back into it, causing damage to both the car and the garage door. I have since deactivated the automatic opening and closing feature to avoid this type of incident again. I believe this feature needs some kind of updating or totally removed.
Sorry you had that occur but perhaps a misunderstanding here. This thread is about the MX automatic front doors. Garage doors is different and settings are in Homelink.

UPDATE:
First time today, the MX driver door actually attempted to open all the way and hit my passenger door on my M3, after I pulled in along side the MX. IT was a noticeable hit. There is the slightest, very slightest of a ding now in the door edge of the MX. The M3 appears OK. I am so annoyed that I am removing the BT key for the MX in my Tesla App. I will have adjust to using only the NFC key with my phone when using the MX.

Don't get your hope up on this being fixed (actually "changed" because it is not really a fix). MX sold the least amount of the current model. And auto presenting door is only on MX and is a luxury item not safety. Just plan on it that it will never get that option and go with plan B, C, D for now.