Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn off Explicit Lyrics in Slacker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 8 year-old daughter LOVES my new MX. She is growing up in an era where linear radio just won't do. Our previous car had XM and normal FM, but when we would listen to those channels, she was constantly asking me to "skip to the next track". She doesn't understand that I can only change channels, most of the time landing in the middle of a song. She is used to streaming music where you can like/dislike tracks and pause/skip/rewind whenever you want to. Ah kids...

One thing that we quickly realized is that Slacker's default settings are to allow Explicit Lyrics. It's not that we are prudes, but I am ashamed to admit that the first time my daughter (admits to) hearing "the F word" was on Dad's new Tesla. Honestly, I didn't know that so many of the songs we all love had crazy bad language!

After doing a bit of research, I found that you can log into your Slacker account (the one that comes with the car) and turn those F bombs off. I emailed my Tesla Service person asking for the password. After a lot of warning to not change anything else because they are "special" accounts, he sent back the hexadecimal password and I was able to turn off in the account settings.

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 481
My 8 year-old daughter LOVES my new MX. She is growing up in an era where linear radio just won't do. Our previous car had XM and normal FM, but when we would listen to those channels, she was constantly asking me to "skip to the next track". She doesn't understand that I can only change channels, most of the time landing in the middle of a song. She is used to streaming music where you can like/dislike tracks and pause/skip/rewind whenever you want to. Ah kids...

One thing that we quickly realized is that Slacker's default settings are to allow Explicit Lyrics. It's not that we are prudes, but I am ashamed to admit that the first time my daughter (admits to) hearing "the F word" was on Dad's new Tesla. Honestly, I didn't know that so many of the songs we all love had crazy bad language!

After doing a bit of research, I found that you can log into your Slacker account (the one that comes with the car) and turn those F bombs off. I emailed my Tesla Service person asking for the password. After a lot of warning to not change anything else because they are "special" accounts, he sent back the hexadecimal password and I was able to turn off in the account settings.

Good for you, I commend your effort. This will benefit my family as well. Thank You!

Reactions: Softwizard
I emailed my Tesla Service person asking for the password. After a lot of warning to not change anything else because they are "special" accounts, he sent back the hexadecimal password and I was able to turn off in the account settings.

I got my username and password with no warnings shortly after I got my S a couple of years ago. I guess they're not quite as free with it now. It's good to have to login on a desktop/laptop since you can manage your preferences and favourites much better than in the car. It's also good to setup a free Tunein account so you can search and add favourites on your desktop then access them in your car.

I don't have my Tesla yet. Does anyone know which subscription music services are available besides Slacker and Tunein? I think Spotify has an Explicit Lyrics setting as well, not sure how strict... I know if I want to use Apple Music (safest) I will need to use my phone.

I don't have my Tesla yet. Does anyone know which subscription music services are available besides Slacker and Tunein? I think Spotify has an Explicit Lyrics setting as well, not sure how strict... I know if I want to use Apple Music (safest) I will need to use my phone.

You can use any music service - including Apple Music - over Bluetooth. You must use the iPhone to select your Playlist, but after it starts playing, you can pause, skip and rewind from the Tesla interfaces.

I agree that Apple Music is safest, but it still lets through the occasional "7 words" >:-|

You can use any music service - including Apple Music - over Bluetooth. You must use the iPhone to select your Playlist, but after it starts playing, you can pause, skip and rewind from the Tesla interfaces.

I agree that Apple Music is safest, but it still lets through the occasional "7 words" >:-|

It would be great if Tesla can add the playlist feature for Apple Music via BT, My X5 has it and I don't even need to touch the phone to start playing a list, or even a specific song on the list.

Slightly off topic but do any of your kids reach over to the steering wheel, hit the voice command button and yell out "Listen to - Drake"...... My kids and their basketball team that I cart around does this all the time laughing uncontrollably and it never seems to gets old. Can't imagine the chaos if you can play explicit Youtube videos!
Lol, My kids are still strapped to their seats with a 5-point harness, and the only Drake they know is the professor on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!

I wonder what would happen if you turned on the high quality audio option? Is that only for web streaming or would it provide better audio to the Tesla as well?

I went into my settings and did this. I'm not an audiophile, and I don't have the upgraded sound system (since I mostly listen to talk and podcasts), but I do think it makes a noticeable difference when I listened to music in Slacker. Thanks for the tip.

I went into my settings and did this. I'm not an audiophile, and I don't have the upgraded sound system (since I mostly listen to talk and podcasts), but I do think it makes a noticeable difference when I listened to music in Slacker. Thanks for the tip.

That's great news, I wasn't sure if it would work or not as the Tesla accounts are "special" but I'm glad to hear it did.

What's the best way to get Slacker account info from Tesla these days? Just email someone at the service center and ask for it?