TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

turn off heater?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by dacpdx, Sep 5, 2018.

1. dacpdx

dacpdx New Member

so is there any way to turn of the heater? i can’t find one. if the temperature selected is just a little bit warmer than the cabin, i see the red tinted air graphic, which i assume means the heater is powered up. The ac can be switched off in manual mode, but i can find no such option to disable the heater. here in the pacific northwest in late summer and early autumn we often don’t need heating or cooling, would be nice to be able to shut this off instead of messing with the temperature setting.

• Like x 2
  2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

You can turn it off with one tap and turn the entire system off.

3. dacpdx

dacpdx New Member

but i want the fan on, low, with fresh air

• Like x 2
  4. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

just set the temperature lower than ambient with AC off.

5. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I started a thread, posing that same question 4 years ago in the 5-page discussion linked below:

Heater on/off Button?

But what if you want the AC on for humidity control but don't want the heater and AC running at the same time?

• Like x 1
  6. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Member

I think the best solution would be if we could set a window of acceptable temperatures in auto mode rather than just one exact temperature. For example, you could set it to "67-74", and the heater/AC would only turn on if the temperature is outside of this range. Most people don't care about the exact temperature, they just want it to be reasonably comfortable. Turning on the heater in summer because of a few degrees difference is just wasteful ...

• Like x 5
  7. RTPEV

RTPEV Member

Reading your thread now @gavine .

I was just about to say what @Eno Deb just said. Any time you have a thermostat controlled system that switches back and forth between cooling and heating, you need to design in a dead zone where it does neither, but just runs the fan for fresh air. Basically this takes me back to where we were in the early Nissan LEAF days. You could turn the A/C off with a button, but the only way you could disable the heat was to turn the temp down. Which means that during spring and fall when the mornings are cold but the afternoons are hot, you are constantly switching the temps. It's a real hassle. Eventually Nissan smartened up and gave us a "HEAT" button so we could disable the heater. With the LEAF we had to buy a whole new car to get this (or do a hack mod). Tesla would merely have to roll out new software. Having the driver/passenger zones only complicates this further, because my wife sets her side 4 degrees warmer than me, and I am constantly "sync"ing the temps so I can turn it down below ambient to avoid the heater, and then she has to un-sync and reset her temp when she gets in the passenger seat.

• Like x 3
  8. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Yeah...I really want a "heat off" toggle. I don't want to waste heat by running the heater when I can just use vent air.

• Like x 2
  9. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Crack a window? :)

Adding a "heat" button would be a good suggestion, I agree.

10. speedy

speedy Member

At least on the S, if you turn off A/C in manual mode, this turns off both heat and cooling, and just leaves the fan on ... It may work the same way on the 3

11. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Are you sure about this? I always turn the AC off in the winter and my heat works. Why would they require the AC to be on in order to have heat? That would be very confusing to customers.

12. speedy

speedy Member

I will double check. I know I've seen the same issue where my heater had come on when I didn't want it to be on, and turning off the A/C turned it off. After all, A/C stands for air conditioning and is technically not just limited to cooling...

13. Exscite

Exscite Member

We in Southern California never need the car seat heater. We just need an OPTION TO COMPLETELY DISABLE THE SEAT HEATER.
    I've discovered today while fumbling with the screen, that inadvertently I touched the icon and the heater started to work (it is balmy 72 deg F here today).