Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you need maximum range in the wintertime, leave the HVAC in auto. It might cost you another penny or two per mile.
It's more than the just wasting mileage, it's also keeping heat out of the car. In all year summer in LA my car is parked in the shade and may report 68F. So if my thermostat is set to 72C when I start in the morning I DO NOT want the heater to come on because the real temp with the sun blasting is going to put the outside temp to 80C in no time.
Yes I can remember to turn AC off and set the temp to LO to ensure when I start up the next morning the car does not turn on the heater but then I have to remember to turn the AC back on after I start sweating 5 minutes into my commute. Plus that's a lot of touchscreen presses every morning.
I would just keep the temp at 68 to avoid the heater but I've found that to be too cold with a setting of 72 feeling more like 68 to me.
Yes those 5 minutes in the morning with the heater on is not that big of a deal but at the same time I don't like it and it's a waste of precious energy which I don't have with no home or workplace charging.

There was a YouTube video of a 6' 7" guy comfortable in a M3 last year, maybe from Now You Know guys.
I saw that video, my guess is he has shorter legs and a larger torso. I have an 80 mile commute every day so I unfortunately have plenty of time to discover where any parts of the car are uncomfortable for my non standard 6'4 frame. But overall I'm still happy with the car even with my first world desires like wanting ventilated seats.

I think I'm going to the service center again and have them try to retighten the seat to the frame agsin since it started to move again while driving. The back of the seat looks like it's not attached well, maybe I just have a really bad seat and they can just replace it.

Last edited:
is there a reason why Tesla didn't put in a heat button? (or a red/blue setting like other car thermostats? )
Unfortunately it looks like they haven't fine tuned the HVAC algorithms. It appears that the cooling AC is a full on or full off and the cabin heater is used to actually "set" the temperature by mixing hot air from the cabin heater so the end air temp matches your temperature setpoint.

Unfortunately it looks like they haven't fine tuned the HVAC algorithms. It appears that the cooling AC is a full on or full off and the cabin heater is used to actually "set" the temperature by mixing hot air from the cabin heater so the end air temp matches your temperature setpoint.

hopefully they will as an OTA update. Like many here I like just having air blow w/o heat or AC. Fan doesn't take much energy right?

Reactions: beachmiles
I'd love to see a "Vent only" option as well. I do at least half my driving with my HVAC set at LO and A/C off to get fresh air

Unfortunately, every car I've driven over the last 20+ years that has automatic climate control (GM, VW, Toyota, Hyundai, and more) all have the same limitation where they don't make it easy to get unaltered air from outside. In each case the manual solution is to do the same procedure as the Tesla, which is A/C off, temp selection as low as it goes, recirc off, then adjust fan speed.

Point being, I don't see Tesla straying from this "standard" design anytime soon.

One thing they should absolutely fix though is that if you use the defrost function temporarily to clear your windshield, then turn it off, it should go back to the settings you were using before you turned on defrost. I always have to go back and manually turn off A/C, turn off recirc, etc...
I'm pretty sure all those other cars I mentioned would successfully go back to your previous settings when you turned off defrost.

With other cars, I've concluded that the AC has a negligible affect on humidity, at least with respect to condensation on the windows.

I have had the exact opposite results on all of my cars. If/when the windows get foggy, the best way to quickly de-fog them is with the AC. As a matter of fact, whenever you turn-on the windshield defroster (on any car), it automatically turns-on the AC compressor for that very reason. I'm surprised your results are different. Am I missing something here?

Air conditioners are generally known for also being very good de-humidifiers.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
I have had the exact opposite results on all of my cars. If/when the windows get foggy, the best way to quickly de-fog them is with the AC. As a matter of fact, whenever you turn-on the windshield defroster (on any car), it automatically turns-on the AC compressor for that very reason. I'm surprised your results are different. Am I missing something here?

Air conditioners are generally known for also being very good de-humidifiers.

You're probably right. I only did a little testing, but I never noticed a dramatic difference between defrost with AC vs. without.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles