Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn off passenger side dash vent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought there was already a thread on this subject, but I couldn't find it so maybe it was on another forum. Anyway:

Why isn't there any way to turn off the passenger dash vent in the Model Y? The car will already turn off that vent when no passenger is sitting there, so the capability to separately control the fans is there now. Why can't it be done manually when a passenger is there? Software update?

Reactions: Suspect
I thought there was already a thread on this subject, but I couldn't find it so maybe it was on another forum. Anyway:

Why isn't there any way to turn off the passenger dash vent in the Model Y? The car will already turn off that vent when no passenger is sitting there, so the capability to separately control the fans is there now. Why can't it be done manually when a passenger is there? Software update?

There is no way currently, but some of us with irritated significant others in the passenger seat, hope this option is added in a future update.

There is no way currently, but some of us with irritated significant others in the passenger seat, hope this option is added in a future update.
Maybe worth trying: I’ve learned that the passenger vent can be turned on when no passenger is seated by touching the passenger vent when controls are displayed on screen. I would see if it can be turned off by touching that vent when displayed.

Maybe worth trying: I’ve learned that the passenger vent can be turned on when no passenger is seated by touching the passenger vent when controls are displayed on screen. I would see if it can be turned off by touching that vent when displayed.
I've tried this and I can't turn off the passenger vent. Really hoping they enable this in a future update.

Why you not just direct the flow on the passenger side towards the roof or side if it is bothersome for the passenger?
Because that still doesn't eliminate the passenger feeling some air flow. My wife constantly complains about this regardless of where you position the vents. 100% of ICE cars can accomplish this so eventually Tesla will add this as a feature.

Uhh...well...if the ..."irritated significant other..." isn't comfortable, the back seat reclines to a very comfortable position.
Back seat reclines, but...the...bumpiness is a problem. My wife, in the back seat, " Wow. If I were in an airplane and felt this, I'd be worried!"

...sigh...coilovers added to the list...$3k more...

The passenger vent couldn't always shut off independently, I believe it was added along with the heat pump when the Y was introduced. Unfortunately the software was just never updated to support manually turning off the passenger side via the screen on later models that should have the ability to do so.
Yeah, it does have the capability to work independently since it shuts off if it detects no one in the passenger's seat. Unfortunately the manual doesn't indicate any way to turn it off manually (and the manual is usually updated as things change). Best you could do is redirect the airflow to the floor or keep the face-level vent on and push it towards the driver.

Reactions: preilly44