Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn off WiFi in Powerwall Gateway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jlv1

Twice as much fun
Oct 14, 2015
Central MA
BLOT: Is there anyway to configure or turn off the WiFi in the gateway?

My two Powerwalls were recently installed. The gateway is hardwired to my gigabit ethernet network. The WiFi isn't being used. But it's still active, and on 2.4GHz WiFi channel 10. My two WiFi access points are sitting on 2.4GHz channels 1 and 6 so that they don't interfere with my ZigBee devices, which are on ZigBee channels 23 and 24. WiFi channel 10 overlaps with those ZigBee channels.
82ccb020-c270-45fc-995c-f837ada4f9c3

Given I won't ever be using the WiFi that is in the gateway, is there any way for me to turn it off or change the channel it uses.

My two Powerwalls were recently installed. The gateway is hardwired to my gigabit ethernet network. The WiFi isn't being used. But it's still active, and on 2.4GHz WiFi channel 10. My two WiFi access points are sitting on 2.4GHz channels 1 and 6 so that they don't interfere with my ZigBee devices, which are on ZigBee channels 23 and 24. WiFi channel 10 overlaps with those ZigBee channels.

Given I won't ever be using the WiFi that is in the gateway, is there any way for me to turn it off or change the channel it uses.

Not sure you can turn off Wi-Fi usage in the Tesla Energy Gateway (TEG). But the channel the TEG uses is based on the Access Point (or a Wi-Fi equipped and enabled router) uses. So if your access points are on channels 1 and 6 your TEG should use channel 1 or 6, depending upon which is stronger. Is it possible your TEG is not using your Wi-Fi or your router has Wi-Fi and it is using channel 10?

The gateway has it's own WiFi access point built it and it is listening on it's own SSID at "TEG-xxx" (on channel 10). They do this so that you can connect to it like this: Connecting to Tesla Gateway | Tesla Support

My gateway is connected directly to an ethernet switch. It's not using WiFi.

I assume you were able to change the IP address of the TEG to match your network. Mine is 192.168.0.xx

If nothing is using the access point on the gateway I don't think there is any significant impact on the network. Yes the SSID is being broadcast but I don't think you will have any channel interference.

The gateway has it's own WiFi access point built it and it is listening on it's own SSID at "TEG-xxx" (on channel 10). They do this so that you can connect to it like this: Connecting to Tesla Gateway | Tesla Support

My gateway is connected directly to an ethernet switch. It's not using WiFi.
Dooh. Forgot all about that since I connect via ethernet only.

If nothing is using the access point on the gateway I don't think there is any significant impact on the network. Yes the SSID is being broadcast but I don't think you will have any channel interference.
Even if the TEG doesn't transmit anything, it actually eats up a fair bit of bandwidth just broadcasting its beacon. See:

SSIDS overhead effect on channel utilisation - WiFi
Revolution Wi-Fi: SSID Overhead Calculator

So there's definitely a benefit in trying to disable that wireless interface. Or at least moving it to a channel not used by the homeowner.

Even if the TEG doesn't transmit anything, it actually eats up a fair bit of bandwidth just broadcasting its beacon. See:

SSIDS overhead effect on channel utilisation - WiFi
Revolution Wi-Fi: SSID Overhead Calculator

So there's definitely a benefit in trying to disable that wireless interface. Or at least moving it to a channel not used by the homeowner.
I further second this request. I actually joined the TEG AP from my iPhone to check configuration and next thing I know all of my other iOS devices that share my iCloud account are connecting to the TEG wifi network instead of my home network and then none of them get internet access (obviously). So I had to go forget that wifi network on all my other iOS devices. I’d like the TEG wifi AP to be disable-able.

Reactions: bmah
Inside that thing there is a Neurio power meter, which connects via Wi-Fi to the gateway computer. So, the meter is a client to the gateway's AP. If you do a Wi-Fi packet capture, you'll see this data in the air. The interference you'll be seeing will not just be beacons, but the actual power meter data.
There is an option for that meter to be connected via RS485 serial but they don't generally install that. It's a pity, but by using Wi-Fi they avoid splashing out for that extra cable between the two.
The channels that the gateway picks for its AP are stupid. They should be either 1, 6 or 11. It's poorly designed by people who don't know Wi-Fi very well.
I have my meter connected via serial no Wi-Fi, but the beacons still exist (at 1Mb/s bitrates too damn it) but I can live with it.
What you could try is connecting its Wi-Fi to your home network anyway, even though you have it wired. It (I'm going to assume) should still prefer to communicate over Ethernet if it's like any normal Linux box which will give Ethernet a lower metric, but by being on your network it would force its AP function to use one of your channels because it only has the one Wi-F- radio.

Tesla is coming by tomorrow for the town inspection, so I'll ask about using a serial cable there and disabling the WiFi. But if that doesn't work out, I'll probably do you as you suggest and join it to my network (and then see what network it actually talks upon).

Reactions: kayak1
Did you find a solution? I too am trying to shutdown this wifi.
In the end I found no actual interference or problems with either of my Zigbee networks (one on a Smartthings v2 hub, one on a Hubitat C-7 hub), so I did nothing to the Gateway's WiFi.

That said, the approach I was going to try was the one suggested above, which is to join the Gateway's WiFi to my own 2.4GHz WiFi so that it would hopefully stop broadcasting out it's own beacons on channel 10. But since everything was working, I just did nothing.

for what it's worth, I set up the TEG to be on my wifi in addition to the ethernet and it did indeed change its channel to match my wifi channel instead of using channel 10.
Is it a good thing that TEG WIFI follows the AP channel?

I have several WIFI devices in my garage area where I have the TEG gateway-2, such as WIFI irrigation controller, WIFI smart switches, and WIFI security system. I have been noticing that my devices are failing to connect to my AP and observed that the signals strength of TEG WIFI is overshadowing my AP signals near these devices. I tried moving my AP channels, but TEG is keep following the same AP channel and I can not prevent it from interfering my other device connectivities.

If TEG WIFI cannot be turned-off, I wish I could set it to use different channel or be able to reduce its signal strength.

@axelbrunger @JayKay21 The TEG SSID shouldn't be an issue for ensnaring your other WiFi devices unless they have login credentials for your TEG, which I assume they don't. So I am assuming what you are saying that the TEG is "squatting" on your chosen channel for your access point channel and that suggests that the access point WiFi signal isn't strong enough at the TEG to keep the TEG from selecting your desired channel. The TEG is always going to WiFi channel surf and choose the channel with the least interference on it at the TEG. This choice happens whenever it is reset, the WiFi signal gets too poor, or just generally if there is a network issue that causes the TEG to believe that RF quality is the issue.

First, if you have your SSID the same for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, separate those into two separate SSIDs. This is a known issue with the TEGs. Besides, it is worthwhile generally to lock slower devices only on 2.4GHz. (Thanks to @gpez for posting it.)

If that doesn't solve your issues, a couple of suggestions; first, if you can, run Ethernet to the TEG. If you can do that, put a small switch next to it, and put an AP right there, channel scan on your AP to explore the RF space, pick the best channel, and lock the AP to that channel. If you can't do that, try moving your access point closer to the TEG, power it up and lock the AP onto the best available channel, and then reset the TEG. That should cause the TEG to pick the best unpopulated channel remaining. If that doesn't work, do the reverse, do a channel scan with your phone at the TEG, and figure out which channels (1/6/11) are relatively clean at that point. Let the TEG have the best channel at the TEG, and lock your AP onto the next best channel.

The reason you want to lock your AP to a given channel, is if it ever moves off the second best channel, you will always be channel chasing.

As an aside, if you are both in relatively WiFi dense neighborhoods, and I suspect you both do, it may be worthwhile to put in more wired access points in your homes so that each AP covers a smaller volume, and probably also worth it to move up to a higher quality router and APs, i.e. not consumer grade.

All the best,

BG

I have a similar problem in the location where the Tesla Powerwall is installed. Has someone try to shield the wifi antennas that protrude from the Tesla Powerwall control unit ?

May not be a solution here but you can simply disconnect the antenna. They're standard wifi antenna couplers. Only risk is if you have them top mounted you'll need to take extreme care that a stray nut or screw doesn't fall in to the energized portion of the TEG.

@Jedi2155 I don't believe that the more recent gateways have an exposed antenna; if they do, it isn't obvious to me.

I do think loose foil in an electrical enclosure with exposed 200a bus bars and contacts isn't a recipe for success.

Even the thin metallic film on Mylar balloons has given IOUs issues;