TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Turn on a/c when sitting in the passengers seat

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Merrill, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Silly question, but today my wife stayed in the car and I went to run an errand. It was getting warm inside and she wanted to turn on the air, her key was in her purse and the screen was black. How do you turn on the air?

2. Bound466

Bound466 Member

She can jJust touch the center screen. The car will turn on, and you can run the a/c, media, etc.

3. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

She did that and it still did not turn on.

4. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Use the app and turn it on for her

5. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Yes, I did not have the phone with me. She tried doing that with the iPhone while sitting in the car but could not connect.

6. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Open a door. The display will turn on.

7. invisik

invisik Member

Yes. I was doing this last night in my garage while messing with the settings, passenger door open everything stays on.

Could you also leave the fob in the car with your wife before exiting? I'll have to try that.

-m

8. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

She did that and the display came on, the air was on when I left so it came on then when she shut the door everything turned off.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

The key is if you touch the screen with 30 seconds (I think) of everything turning off, a passenger without the key can wake it back up. So when you exit the car, just have her tap the screen. If she forgets, she can open the door and then tap the screen once she closes it and it turns off. Kind of a silly dance to have to do, but it works.

10. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

If she did that and it did not turn on, then that’s an issue. That’s how it’s designed. I would try it again, and if it still does not work, reboot your center console. If it *still* doesn’t work, mention it to service. As others have mentioned, cracking the door will work, even if it is a lame workaround. She can open the door, and close it until it clicks once, it’s still ‘closed’ for all intends and purposes, but the car will remain on.

There is another convoluted process you can go through while exiting the car to leave it on, but that’s hardly worth it.

11. Kraken

Kraken Member

the key here is timing. After a certain amount of time the screen won't turn on with a tap. So if she does it right away she is fine. If she waited too long, she just needs to open the door. I don't know if this is new to a newer firmware. I don't remember having a time limit on tapping the screen (even with a fob in the car as it was when I was doing it), but I learned this all first hand the other day.

12. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Thanks for the input, I will try to tap the screen quickly and see if the works.

13. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Just leave the door ajar.. Real easy

14. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Just tried tapping the screen as soon as it goes black and that worked, screen came on and ac was going.