Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn On AC w/ Phone App When Car Left w/ Fan On Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to turn on the AC by phone when you leave the car w/ fan on only? I try to blow out fan air after driving to avoid the bad smell with the AC over time.

Thanks in advance.
If I understand the question correctly you want to leave the fan on only (no a/c) when you leave the car then turn if off sometime later from the app? If so, I believe if you just leave it with the a/c off and the climate to "on" the fan will continue to run, then you can switch the climate "off" from the app after you leave.

If you mean you want to later switch the a/c "on" after having left it off previously (to pre-cool?) just turning the climate to "on" will do the trick if you have the temperature set to a lower setting than the internal air temperature.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Is it possible to turn on the AC by phone when you leave the car w/ fan on only? I try to blow out fan air after driving to avoid the bad smell with the AC over time.

Thanks in advance.
In warmer temperatures the Tesla Model Y will automatically run the HVAC fan alone (with no AC) after you park and exit the Model Y for ~20 minutes. This is designed to help dry out the AC evaporator coil, prevent mold and mildew growth. In colder temperatures this is not needed as mold and mildew need both warm temperature (above 70F) and high humidity (above 60% relative humidity) to grow.

I don't believe you can turn on just the HVAC fan using the app. You could leave the HVAC fan running, leave the HVAC set to On after you exit the vehicle. Then you can turn off the Climate Control at a later time using the app.

In the summer when the AC is working hard I will turn on Recirculate Cabin Air HVAC setting. When I park I try and remember to turn this off to allow fresh air into the passenger cabin.

I believe it helps if you can park your Tesla vehicle inside a garage so pollen, leaves and other organic debris does not fall on, into the air intake for the HVAC (even though there is a grill covering the HVAC air intake.)

If I understand the question correctly you want to leave the fan on only (no a/c) when you leave the car then turn if off sometime later from the app? If so, I believe if you just leave it with the a/c off and the climate to "on" the fan will continue to run, then you can switch the climate "off" from the app after you leave.

If you mean you want to later switch the a/c "on" after having left it off previously (to pre-cool?) just turning the climate to "on" will do the trick if you have the temperature set to a lower setting than the internal air temperature.
When it's hot out, I use the AC on (auto). When I park, I like to blow the fan only for about 10 seconds to clear out the cold air. So when I return and try to pre-cool the car (climate on), the app allows me to change the temperature but the AC is always off.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
In warmer temperatures the Tesla Model Y will automatically run the HVAC fan alone (with no AC) after you park and exit the Model Y for ~20 minutes. This is designed to help dry out the AC evaporator coil, prevent mold and mildew growth. In colder temperatures this is not needed as mold and mildew need both warm temperature (above 70F) and high humidity (above 60% relative humidity) to grow.

I don't believe you can turn on just the HVAC fan using the app. You could leave the HVAC fan running, leave the HVAC set to On after you exit the vehicle. Then you can turn off the Climate Control at a later time using the app.

In the summer when the AC is working hard I will turn on Recirculate Cabin Air HVAC setting. When I park I try and remember to turn this off to allow fresh air into the passenger cabin.

I believe it helps if you can park your Tesla vehicle inside a garage so pollen, leaves and other organic debris does not fall on, into the air intake for the HVAC (even though there is a grill covering the HVAC air intake.)
So the car will automatically run the fan alone without AC on a hot day? I am trying to manually do the same thing so my car's AC doesn't smell after time.

When I return to the car and try to pre-cool, it lets me change the temp but it's always just fan (no AC or auto button).

So the car will automatically run the fan alone without AC on a hot day? I am trying to manually do the same thing so my car's AC doesn't smell after time.

When I return to the car and try to pre-cool, it lets me change the temp but it's always just fan (no AC or auto button).
There are several different functions. First, Tesla programmed the HVAC to run the fan when you park for 20 minutes.

Second, if you want to cool down the cabin before driving you can vent the cabin by cracking the windows (using the app) or turn on the Climate Control (but as you noted if the AC is set to Off then only the fan will run.)

Third, you can set the Cabin Overheat Protection setting under Safety & Security settings to be On or (No AC). Cabin Overheat will run the fan and can run the AC to maintain the cabin temperature below 105F (can't hold to under 105F unless the AC is enabled to run.)