Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn On Passenger Airbag for Light Female Adult

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi friends, I just got my Model Y today. I found out that when my wife sits on the passenger seat (she is around 95 lbs), the passenger airbag sometimes turns on and sometimes turns off. I read the manual and it says that the passenger airbags is "ON or OFF" when sensing a weight of under 100 lbs. I also tried to find the airbag settings under Safety, but couldn't find anything. Is there a way to turn on the passenger airbag when my wife sits on it? Thank you in advance!

Hi friends, I just got my Model Y today. I found out that when my wife sits on the passenger seat (she is around 95 lbs), the passenger airbag sometimes turns on and sometimes turns off. I read the manual and it says that the passenger airbags is "ON or OFF" when sensing a weight of under 100 lbs. I also tried to find the airbag settings under Safety, but couldn't find anything. Is there a way to turn on the passenger airbag when my wife sits on it? Thank you in advance!

For the Model 3, its aprox 100 lbs. Assume the MY is about the same.

Reactions: carlhy
Upvote 0
I just found this searching for this issue. I'm in the same boat, my wife is right around 100 pounds soaking wet and the airbags cycle off and on. We never had this issue with my 2015 Acura. It was always on. I found a NHTSA report from 2009. It talks about the need for on/off switches for front passenger airbags for smaller passengers (age 12 and under) that stated...

1663998345855.png

1663998388600.png

So this study says 'turning off your air bag will not benefit you or the other users of your vehicle. Instead, it will increase the risk that you and other users will suffer a head, neck or chest injury... "

These on-off switches were meant to be user selectable. Now they are automated? There has got to be a way to turn them on or adjust the weight limit. This really bothers me.

Upvote 0
I recently took my car in to get all the QA issues from the factory remedied. I added the airbag not 'on' to the list of things to look at. They updated the firmware in the car and now the airbag is on when my wife is in the car. It is off when the seat is empty or I just have a few things in the seat. So I was actually surprised by this. I expected to get the 'thats the way it is supposed to work' excuse that many get. This means the dealership doesn't have to fix it. But I'm glad my wife will have the benefit of an airbag if we are in a serious accident. I know there is this theory that some smaller people might be more hurt in a collision with the airbag... I don't really buy that argument for my wife who is a full sided adult, just happens to be ~100 pounds. If we were in a head on and she hit the dash/windshield without the airbag I don't think I could have dealt with that in my head knowing that the air bag did not go off on purpose. You don't get to choose the accident; the accident chooses you. Thankfully in 40+ years of driving I've avoided any accident, but one day my luck may run out. If my wife is in the car I want her to have the same protection I have. If it is a fender bender, I trust none of the airbags would deploy, but in a major accident I'll be happier to take my chances with airbags. So I'm glad they addressed this and if you have the same issue apparently there is some adjustment that can be made.

This was the one positive thing from my first service experience among many negative things. Tesla won't have to worry about selling millions of cars in the US if they don't fix they horrible customer service model. No one will want to buy their cars when they have such a horrible reputation for terrible customer service. Someone at Tesla needs to turn this around. Just one month into ownership and I dread having to deal with Tesla again. As much as I like the car, I hate the company. I've never felt so conflicted about a car before. We've owned VW, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Mini, BMW, and now Tesla. Tesla is far and away the worst customer service ever. Not even close. They have only given this issue lip service, nothing changes. All talk, no action.

Last edited:
Upvote 0