Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn on rear seat heaters without turning on the air in v9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am so used to going into the car controls > cold weather to turn on my daughter's rear seat heater. After the v9 update the only place I have found to turn it on is by first turning the air on by clicking the little fan at the bottom, then clicking the rear seat, then I can turn on her seat heater. It feels buried and frustrating to have to turn the air on for a few seconds just to access the rear seat heaters. It's not even an option in the car controls main menu anymore. It's also something not available in the mobile app.

Does anyone else have another method to turning on rear seat heaters WITHOUT turning on the air/fan after the 9.0 update?

Reactions: Eugene Ash
I am so used to going into the car controls > cold weather to turn on my daughter's rear seat heater. After the v9 update the only place I have found to turn it on is by first turning the air on by clicking the little fan at the bottom, then clicking the rear seat, then I can turn on her seat heater. It feels buried and frustrating to have to turn the air on for a few seconds just to access the rear seat heaters. It's not even an option in the car controls main menu anymore. It's also something not available in the mobile app.

Does anyone else have another method to turning on rear seat heaters WITHOUT turning on the air/fan after the 9.0 update?

I'm also having the same issues with the climate control. I think the climate control the in the new update is a complete disaster to be honest.

The deletion of the cold weather menu is the dumbest update I have seen to date. What were they thinking? What does a fan icon have to do with a resistance heater?

The deletion of the cold weather menu is the dumbest update I have seen to date. What were they thinking? What does a fan icon have to do with a resistance heater?

The only thing I'm resisting is the upgrade to 9.

I've definitely detected 9 is a firmware downgrade for model S. When I drive the 3, my wife and I agree ... so much is "missing" from that little screen as compared to what we're familiar with on the S.

Long live 8, it may be my last. Until maybe 10 comes out.

All famous OS's skipped version nine... Windows 8 to Windows 10.... Everybody knows 9 is just no good so why even try?

I am so used to going into the car controls > cold weather to turn on my daughter's rear seat heater. After the v9 update the only place I have found to turn it on is by first turning the air on by clicking the little fan at the bottom, then clicking the rear seat, then I can turn on her seat heater. It feels buried and frustrating to [ fill in this blank with your favorite thing ] just to access [ the thing ]. It's not even an option in the car controls main menu anymore. It's also something not available in the mobile app.

This one line sums up 9 I think.

However, it is a thing that is available in the App, I saw that it is new just this last week - maybe not released but imminent..
See here: https://electrek.co/2018/11/21/tesla-new-cold-weather-features-winter/

Maybe Tesla is migrating the functions of a slowly shrinking in-car screen to your phone.

Last edited: